Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 3, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #22,681 of 40,611
Aug 3, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #22,682 of 40,611
I'm seeing 114/69. I just told Jack it's too bad he doesn't get paid for hits on this site, he'd be raking it in.

As to cables, for years all I would read here was people complaining they bought an expensive iem and it came with a cheap cable. So we would go out and buy better ones. Now EE has busted that paradigm big time with a 1960 included. And since they likely tuned the Odin with it attached, it might not make the most sense to go to an Eletech Illiad or some such.

Aug 3, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #22,683 of 40,611
also considering that 1960s is a 1000$ cable , i see Odin selling on a Zeus XR price level (which was 2399$) and it should be quite better than Zeus

Odin feels like a Zeus XR on steroids (with improved bass) , this should be good.

Aug 3, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #22,684 of 40,611
Have there been any details released about the MKIIs? Obviously have seen a bunch of posts here about MKII variants, but I haven't seen anything official yet - have I missed it?

MKII official announcements will come later in the Fall. Maybe in a month or so. Some markets have them arriving a little bit earlier but even their stocks are being held up a bit due to the clogged Hero and Odin demand.

I'm seeing 114/69. I just told Jack it's too bad he doesn't get paid for hits on this site, he'd be raking it in.

As to cables, for years all I would read here was people complaining they bought an expensive iem and it came with a cheap cable. So we would go out and buy better ones. Now EE has busted that paradigm big time with a 1960 included. And since they likely tuned the Odin with it attached, it might not make the most sense to go to an Eletech Illiad or some such.

Several folks were nagging us about the 1960 and when we finally heard it with Zeus, Wraith and Odin (prototype) we were blown away. Since then Dean has fine tuned Odin with it to maximize synergy. While I can't speak on how other cables will pair with Odin I can say that we're very happy with what we've achieved out of this pairing.

Here's a small glimpse of Dean's cable madness in his quest to find the perfect mate for Odin:

Polish_20200803_164305303.jpg

With all that being said don't get me wrong, the cable is not and should never be the main selling point of the IEM. It is merely a feature that compliments the IEM. I just wanted to emphasize that we treat every aspect of the IEM R&D process the same way from driver selection to faceplate.

Aug 3, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #22,685 of 40,611
Keen eye! The Hero and MKII units have a customized version of the Ares II cable. The termination and wire is the same as Ares II whereas the y-split and 2-pin barrel is shared with the Maestro. We've stressed very heavily to Effect that the old barrel designs weren't cutting it for touring use and they suggested this design as it's overmolded and should be able to endure the rigors of pro use.

As for the subtle manipulation, while I can't speak on behalf of other manufacturers I can confidently say it's not true in our case. Our cost of the cable is accounted into the MSRP, not the MSRP of the cable itself. We'd love to throw in a basic cable if we didn't believe it didn't make a difference but we believe it does and we love working with like-minded bespoke manufacturers that are as passionate about their craft as much as we are. We often only have one chance to impress you, the auditioners, and we definitely want to give you all the best we possibly can.

While I know cables are a controversial subject on here there are elements of the FR that are enhanced enough for us to find a reason to include it. We wanted to give the best possible package out of the box we could. Anything outside of that is purely preference to the enhancements (aesthetically or sonically) you desire. I think once Odin and Hero are out in the wild many find what brilliant synergy these IEMs have with their included cables.
I really do like the new hardware on those cables, and the choice of Aries II wire is a good one. I really liked the Aries II pairings in the X and EP lines and they all sounded excellent with that. (Eros II and Cleopatra as well).

I wasn't pointing out EE specifcally, so apologies if It came across that way. It was just my general thoughts looking at the market and prices. I think having owned 3 of the Olympus series and one each of the X and EP does speak for EEs choice of stock cable being included and my thoughts as to EE and the directions its taking. Odin probably won't be for me, but it's not gonna stop me from demoing it with a Cardas Clear and seeing how that goes!

Eagerly awaiting the MKII announcements!

Aug 3, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #22,686 of 40,611
MKII official announcements will come later in the Fall. Maybe in a month or so. Some markets have them arriving a little bit earlier but even their stocks are being held up a bit due to the clogged Hero and Odin demand.

Several folks were nagging us about the 1960 and when we finally heard it with Zeus, Wraith and Odin (prototype) we were blown away. Since then Dean has fine tuned Odin with it to maximize synergy. While I can't speak on how other cables will pair with Odin I can say that we're very happy with what we've achieved out of this pairing.

Here's a small glimpse of Dean's cable madness in his quest to find the perfect mate for Odin:

With all that being said don't get me wrong, the cable is not and should never be the main selling point of the IEM. It is merely a feature that compliments the IEM. I just wanted to emphasize that we treat every aspect of the IEM R&D process the same way from driver selection to faceplate.
Hooooooly you guys aren’t messing around

Aug 3, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #22,687 of 40,611
I really do like the new hardware on those cables, and the choice of Aries II wire is a good one. I really liked the Aries II pairings in the X and EP lines and they all sounded excellent with that. (Eros II and Cleopatra as well).

I wasn't pointing out EE specifcally, so apologies if It came across that way. It was just my general thoughts looking at the market and prices. I think having owned 3 of the Olympus series and one each of the X and EP does speak for EEs choice of stock cable being included and my thoughts as to EE and the directions its taking. Odin probably won't be for me, but it's not gonna stop me from demoing it with a Cardas Clear and seeing how that goes!

Eagerly awaiting the MKII announcements!

No worries! Sorry if it came off as defensive. By no means my intent and I totally understand where you're coming from. We haven't tried the Cardas Clear yet but if it pairs well definitely share your thoughts with us on here.

Aug 3, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #22,688 of 40,611

Well cable pairing will be easy with Odin... you did the work for me lol. Stock it is!

Aug 3, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #22,689 of 40,611

ZeusXR with 1960s is fantastic - i can only imagine how good Odin will be

also @Jack Vang , i had a thought :

all of us who already own 1960s 2-wire in 4.4 (with sony daps etc) can buy Odin and sell the included cable , say for 700-800$ - so this makes buying Odin an even better buy

Aug 3, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #22,690 of 40,611

Almost fall soon, the Hero might beat the MKII handily if I hear it first.

That's a lot of cables woah!

Curious why the Hero didn't get a Cardas Copper pair up us well? The 1960s are pretty much the go to for Zeus and LX.

Aug 3, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #22,691 of 40,611
all of us who already own 1960s 2-wire in 4.4 (with sony daps etc) can buy Odin and sell the included cable , say for 700-800$ - so this makes buying Odin an even better buy
That's actually a pretty good idea. It would bring the overall cost down to about $3k CAD for me which I could swallow if the demo rocks my world.

Sadly being unemployed in a Covid world still means that dropping the $4.5k CAD first is highly unlikely as moving my savings, neither do I have enough gear to move to cover sad.

Waiting for the EE Hela to take away my Odin dreams :frowning2:

Aug 3, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #22,692 of 40,611
That's actually a pretty good idea. It would bring the overall cost down to about $3k CAD for me which I could swallow if the demo rocks my world.

Sadly being unemployed in a Covid world still means that dropping the $4.5k CAD first is highly unlikely as moving my savings, neither do I have enough gear to move to cover sad.

Waiting for the EE Hela to take away my Odin dreams :frowning2:

you and me in the same boat 😭 still can't wait to demo nonetheless. Damn, "if only I waited another year," right?

Aug 3, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #22,693 of 40,611
you and me in the same boat 😭 still can't wait to demo nonetheless. Damn, "if only I waited another year," right?
Count me in, my photography business isn't doing well at all. The industry took quite a big hit.

Aug 3, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #22,694 of 40,611

Wow, that is some cable assortment! I wouldn’t even want to guess the value of that inventory.

Aug 3, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #22,695 of 40,611
ZeusXR with 1960s is fantastic - i can only imagine how good Odin will be

also @Jack Vang , i had a thought :

The one thing to consider is the founder’s edition is a collectible and the PWA cable has a custom splitter, so selling the cable negates the long term value of the set, especially if the Odin is a breakthrough product. As I hope it will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back