Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 21, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #21,678 of 40,606
With the low massdrop prices on the zeus it really shows how stupidly overpriced the top iems are and the prices are getting even worse each year.
That's the beauty of very niche products with unique R&D that have relatively low sales volume.

Jun 21, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #21,680 of 40,606
not to mention the ever improving performance of the lower and mid tier monitors being churned out every month.

What was a flagship sounding monitor 3 years ago is just mid grade now.
It is catching up i pace with other media industries. But i think i would be still ok upgrading every 2 years provided you stay with one set up.

And dont have a head fi account....

Jun 21, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #21,681 of 40,606
It is catching up i pace with other media industries. But i think i would be still ok upgrading every 2 years provided you stay with one set up.

And dont have a head fi account....
That is rational thought, something that lacks when you start to head down the audio rabbit hole, I like it. If you look at the life-cycle, depending on the product and company it is one to two years. If you have restraint enough to replace your source and TOTL IEMS on that cycle you can always have top tier sound and not make your wallet go crazy. Sell, replace and prosper.

Jun 21, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #21,683 of 40,606
The Zeus was hand made. The Massdrop one is less so, with cheaper materials. Though the guts appear to be the same. MASS produced, right?

I bought my older son a Samsung 46" TV that was virtually the same as mine, three years after I got mine, and it cost about half what mine did. That's just economics.

As to sound quality, the Zeus is still the Zeus. If that is the sound signature you want, you are going to pay about what it cost for a different brand. I bought a Phantom and didn't like it. I tried an LX and really didn't like it. Just 'cause things are newer doesn't make them better. I've read the Wraith reviews. It doesn't interest me.

The danger in this hobby is always looking for newer/better. And never being satisfied with what you have. And listening to people who say "it's almost as good for half the price." TOTL that is truly there is there for a reason. They may eventually get surpassed technologically, but if you like what they do, that shouldn't matter. Being happy with what you have every day when you listen to it is what matters.

Jun 21, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #21,684 of 40,606
The Zeus was hand made. The Massdrop one is less so, with cheaper materials. Though the guts appear to be the same. MASS produced, right?

I bought my older son a Samsung 46" TV that was virtually the same as mine, three years after I got mine, and it cost about half what mine did. That's just economics.

As to sound quality, the Zeus is still the Zeus. If that is the sound signature you want, you are going to pay about what it cost for a different brand. I bought a Phantom and didn't like it. I tried an LX and really didn't like it. Just 'cause things are newer doesn't make them better. I've read the Wraith reviews. It doesn't interest me.

The danger in this hobby is always looking for newer/better. And never being satisfied with what you have. And listening to people who say "it's almost as good for half the price." TOTL that is truly there is there for a reason. They may eventually get surpassed technologically, but if you like what they do, that shouldn't matter. Being happy with what you have every day when you listen to it is what matters.

Yes the Zeus isnt any less amazing cuz there are new models with different tunings out. However the massdrop price is probably what zeus was worth in the first place and what other top iems are worth aswell, however as long as people are fine with paying 3 to 4k for a flagship that is probably just worth 1k its just going to get worse and worse and we dont really get any more performance for the added costs either.

Jun 21, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #21,685 of 40,606
Yes the Zeus isnt any less amazing cuz there are new models with different tunings out. However the massdrop price is probably what zeus was worth in the first place and what other top iems are worth aswell, however as long as people are fine with paying 3 to 4k for a flagship that is probably just worth 1k its just going to get worse and worse and we dont really get any more performance for the added costs either.

you don't get the economics part , which is cool so here it goes

if you make a bulk order for say 1000 pieces (as is massdrop) in a new field of potential buyers who are not that well informed and therefore not willing to spend 2-3K on an iem (as us here i head-fi) , then it makes sense to cut down on your profit margins get 1000 sells at once and be done with it.

but i agree that companies keep on inflating their prices , but this happens probably cause there are people in here that are willing to pay that kind of money

blame the people who pay those absurd money first. imho.

Jun 21, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #21,686 of 40,606
you don't get the economics part , which is cool so here it goes

if you make a bulk order for say 1000 pieces (as is massdrop) in a new field of potential buyers who are not that well informed and therefore not willing to spend 2-3K on an iem (as us here i head-fi) , then it makes sense to cut down on your profit margins get 1000 sells at once and be done with it.

but i agree that companies keep on inflating their prices , but this happens probably cause there are people in here that are willing to pay that kind of money

blame the people who pay those absurd money first. imho.

and you dont seem to get the overprized part. Companies that charge so much for an iem will never have a broad appeal in the first place and thats on them.

Jun 21, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #21,687 of 40,606
and you dont seem to get the overprized part. Companies that charge so much for an iem will never have a broad appeal in the first place and thats on them.

i have one word for you

apple.

i have one more word(or 2 ) for you

i-phone.

those don't appeal to masses because masses think it's a waste of money. then again , masses usually believe all sort of 'wrong' things, so yeah it's cool.

have a nice Sunday :xf_cool:

Jun 21, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #21,688 of 40,606
i have one word for you

apple.

i-phone.

those don't appeal to masses because masses think it's a waste of money. then again , masses usually believe all sort of 'wrong' things, so yeah it's cool.

atleast they didnt charge 3k for the airpods pro that has even more tech in them than the flagship iems.

Jun 21, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #21,690 of 40,606
i have one word for you

apple.

i-phone.

You guys are criticizing electronics when we all know fashion is by the the worst offender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back