Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 1, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #20,536 of 40,600
Jan 1, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #20,538 of 40,600
Does anyone here uses Audioquest Dragonfly?

Jan 1, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #20,539 of 40,600
Dang you guys! I can't even afford extra legroom with KLM. :p

Ooh, thanks for the tip about Max Richter! Looked him up and loved it! Like Einaudi, but with his own style.

Always love finding new music through this forum. :)

Listened to some Max Richter today, and loved it. I discovered Ludovico Einaudi years ago and he has great work. Cliff Martinez is one artist I learned about via Head-Fi, he does a lot of soundtrack work, similar to Hans Zimmer. Another one to look at is Michael Giacchino, he did the Star Wars Rogue One soundtrack. I also recommend Kyle Eastwood, he's done jazz and some original motion picture soundtracks, and is Clint Eastwood's son.

Jan 1, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #20,540 of 40,600
Listened to some Max Richter today, and loved it. I discovered Ludovico Einaudi years ago and he has great work. Cliff Martinez is one artist I learned about via Head-Fi, he does a lot of soundtrack work, similar to Hans Zimmer. Another one to look at is Michael Giacchino, he did the Star Wars Rogue One soundtrack. I also recommend Kyle Eastwood, he's done jazz and some original motion picture soundtracks, and is Clint Eastwood's son.

In my opinion, one of Max Richter's greatest accomplishments is his recomposition of Vivaldi's Four Seasons... Epic.. And it's really nice on the LX

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #20,542 of 40,600
Jan 2, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #20,543 of 40,600
all you Max Richter fans , you should check out this HBO show , music also done by Max

The Leftovers

one of the best shows lately , brilliant TV.

Jan 2, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #20,544 of 40,600
So many great suggestions for music! :ksc75smile:

@Giullian, I came across the Heilung at one point while searching YouTube for music with unique influences. Also came across bands with traditional Mongolian influences back then, such as The HU and Nine Treasures. Really cool stuff that I think will be awesome with LX:

Plus, this video has one of the funniest YouTube comments ever:
"I'm in a metal band"
"What do you play"
"Jaw Harp"
:D

Jan 2, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #20,545 of 40,600
I'd say the midrange is there, the main frequency where the LX feels short is the treble imo, it's somewhat dark. Currently experimenting with some cables to get the treble response boosted

Pls share if you find a great pairing! I think a copper-silver cable would do well, possibly the Eros II 8 wire?

Also, since everyone is sharing music, here's a track from an album that I really enjoyed on my LX. I don't really listen to rock but still really enjoyed the bass and wide soundstage of the LX with this:

Jan 2, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #20,546 of 40,600
pali,I know you said you don't listen to rock, but if you enjoyed "Fear Inoculum", you might also enjoy 10,000 Days, also by Tool. I think the earlier album to have more "original" sounding music. Fear Inoculum (the album, rather than just the song) was evolutionary to me, while 10,000 Days was closer to revolutionary. At least with regard to the growth of Tool's sound.

Jan 2, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #20,547 of 40,600
Pls share if you find a great pairing! I think a copper-silver cable would do well, possibly the Eros II 8 wire?

Also, since everyone is sharing music, here's a track from an album that I really enjoyed on my LX. I don't really listen to rock but still really enjoyed the bass and wide soundstage of the LX with this:

While I would agree with macdonjh to a degree, I would highly recommend all of TOOL’s output - if you like this type of rock music. IMHO, they’re arguably the best alt/hard rock band of their generation. MJK is a great frontman, and the remaining three are all technically brilliant players - esp Danny Carey on drums. He is quite possibly the best rock drummer I’ve EVER heard - and that includes Bonham, Baker etc...

I would say their debut, Undertow is straight ahead alt rock - and a very good album, it’s really from Aenima onwards that they developed their signature sound. Their back catalogue was released in HiRes around the release of Fear Inoculum, and sounds fantastic. Seeing as you already have FI, there is a track called Chocolate Chip Trip. In many ways its kind of a novelty track to illustrate Danny Carey’s phenomenal rock drumming. But on the LX, it does sound truly outstanding - would definitely recommend giving it a go! Although, now their output is available in HiRes it all sounds great.

Jan 2, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #20,549 of 40,600
While I would agree with macdonjh to a degree, I would highly recommend all of TOOL’s output - if you like this type of rock music. IMHO, they’re arguably the best alt/hard rock band of their generation. MJK is a great frontman, and the remaining three are all technically brilliant players - esp Danny Carey on drums. He is quite possibly the best rock drummer I’ve EVER heard - and that includes Bonham, Baker etc...

I would say their debut, Undertow is straight ahead alt rock - and a very good album, it’s really from Aenima onwards that they developed their signature sound. Their back catalogue was released in HiRes around the release of Fear Inoculum, and sounds fantastic. Seeing as you already have FI, there is a track called Chocolate Chip Trip. In many ways its kind of a novelty track to illustrate Danny Carey’s phenomenal rock drumming. But on the LX, it does sound truly outstanding - would definitely recommend giving it a go! Although, now their output is available in HiRes it all sounds great.

Aenima is probably the greatest 90s rock album , their psychedelic creativity is off the charts

also all Tool fans here , you have to hear this album , which is/was a major influence in Tool (and Danny Carey , which reminds me of a more beefed up Bill Bruford)

King Crimson - Discipline

ps : see which album DC holds in 2.57 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back