Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 30, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #20,326 of 40,594
Can I ask the thread for some feedback?
I’m returning to the hobby after a long break and have been thinking about picking up a pair of Solaris. I’ve never heard them but their description seems to intrigue me. My only hesitation is that they are universal (can’t stand having to adjust them all the time) so I’m redirecting my efforts into customs and looking into EE. I had the Zeus R, and really loved their resolution but always wanted more bass, I also would have preferred to have the mids pushed forward more. I became so ravenous for bottom end that I bought the Vega thinking it would fit the bill except I hated them. I often just wanted to relax and listen to music and found that it was impossible for me to do so with the Vega. It made me second guess whether I really wanted bass, to me the Andromeda tuning was way more to my liking but at times with certain tracks I felt them thin.
What in the EE lineup should I be looking at? I’m sure if I went back and read the past pages I will find enough to be able to make a decision but I’m time constrained and the Black Friday sale ends soon.
Would love to be able to get details retrieval close to the Zeus R with a nice bottom end and slightly forward mids. Does that make it the LX? Vega sort of made me paranoid about having too much bass so does that make it the Valkyrie? Not sure that the phantom would be something that I’m interested in based on what I read about them so far but I could be wrong.
I have the Zeus XR which is a 2-in-1 model It has your R as well as the X, which has mids more forward, Bass is slightly more, not much. Had the Phantom, more bass but much fuller mids and less treble. Not at all like a Zeus to my ears. The LX is completely different, a bass monster. Neither has, to my ears, the insane detail and holographic soundstage of the Zeus, if that is what you are looking for. Not sure EE is making what you want Just FYI, Drop has or had a Zeus XlV, which is the original Zeus with forward mids, for about $1K. Probably not the bass you are looking for, though. I've not read of any EE that is Zeus-like with more bass. I've read the Jomo fFamenco is Zeus-lie and has a switch to get more bass, but have not tried it.

Nov 30, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #20,327 of 40,594
do share the design :grin:

Teaser...

Screenshot_20191201-082226.png

Nov 30, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #20,328 of 40,594
Very interesting tips: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HP9V613/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BIG hole, I can see all 4 sound holes in my Zeus. Lots of sizes. More soundstage, more mids, bass seems slightly tighter, treble is a bit increased (which can be an issue with some songs on my Zeus w/AK SP1000SS) Overall I'm enjoying them. If you have warmer iems/DAPs it might be a way to get more detail (guitar strings really are e4vident) and treble. This is compared to Final Audio tips. Better mids than Symbios, treble is about the same, maybe a touch less (or different bass).

Dec 2, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #20,331 of 40,594

I am listening to above Youtube music through Massdrop universal Zeus IEM driven by Dell Laptop now.

It is my best go setup without need to bring additional Dap.

At my home, I usually listen to 2 channel audio or Stax 009s driven by Kgsshv Carbon amp.

But Zeus IEM give lively and musical sound out of town.

Dec 2, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #20,333 of 40,594
I actually really like the all black shells and gold wings of the universals. If I'm ever nuts enough to try custom again (don't ask) that's what I'd go for.

Dec 2, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #20,334 of 40,594
What I've gone for :yum: Was going for an understated but luxurious look.

I am very understandable. Get the simple look is better than spend more money for a fancy looks. Love all purple as in picture!

I actually really like the all black shells and gold wings of the universals. If I'm ever nuts enough to try custom again (don't ask) that's what I'd go for.

Dec 2, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #20,335 of 40,594

Just do it!

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #20,339 of 40,594
what was wrong with your impressions? I would look back through the older posts but it takes so long

Refit hell basically. Bet Jack still has occasional nightmares about it :) What seems to be key is to have the tragus (look it up if not sure) covered completely. None of my impressions that I sent to EE had that done from what I remember, and I had fit issues with other companies as well. This was despite telling the audiologist that they were for ciems and not hearing aids. First time I sent in impressions with that part done successfully the problems became less. What's strange is that though I get a good impression done on the left side it always feels like it needs a touch of thickening. However once I have that adjustment made then it becomes too tight to wear for long periods.

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #20,340 of 40,594
Refit hell basically. Bet Jack still has occasional nightmares about it :) What seems to be key is to have the tragus (look it up if not sure) covered completely. None of my impressions that I sent to EE had that done from what I remember, and I had fit issues with other companies as well. This was despite telling the audiologist that they were for ciems and not hearing aids. First time I sent in impressions with that part done successfully the problems became less. What's strange is that though I get a good impression done on the left side it always feels like it needs a touch of thickening. However once I have that adjustment made then it becomes too tight to wear for long periods.

hmm I knew there wasn’t enough material, I should have asked to cover the whole outer ear as well! Hopefully I don’t run into any issues...

0A591A8F-73E6-483B-A7B3-CF5A5D7F6F3C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back