Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 11, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #19,546 of 40,594
LX must burn in over a long period . Several hundred hrs and you will find much more detail
And texture in the nether regions and no bleed into the mods. To critically
Listen in the short term is doing a disservice to these monster iems. Pair with a Leo 11 for some incredible sound
Several hundred hours sounds like a bit of a stretch to me in terms of burn in :/

Sep 11, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #19,547 of 40,594
Anyone here listen to progressive psytrance? Could you perhaps comment on how that genre pairs with LX and Valkyrie (if you have the privilege to own both!)?

I'm looking in to getting either LX or Valkyrie but living in Sweden really doesnt give me a chance to demo them :frowning2:

example song:

Wow. I don't listen to such music, but wow. What a bass on Legend X :) Very impressive. Really like being in the club.

Sep 11, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #19,548 of 40,594
The track was nice; it wasn't too complex and it is (or seemed) rather bottom-heavy, so I don't have much to say about it save for that it sounded—as promised!—like being in the club. A lot of fun.

Now, if you listen to like Infected Mushroom (i'm not too knowledgeable about the genre but they're in it, yeah?), I think that that does a bit better job of showcasing the Legend X. I think that the previous song would sound almost as good on the Bravados, and probably very very similar on the Valks (but I've not heard them, in contrast to the Bravados, so it's just a suspicion). Something like this, though:

is more complicated from an imaging perspective, has way more information in the high end, and is generally a better test of the technical merits while not being any less fun. I'm listening to that track while typing this post, and I've got a full head-nod going and am typing at high speed in tune to the music. It's like listening to a club speaker setup alone in a nice listening room; you can hear all of the details in the mix but still have your foot tapping away.

Sorry if this isn't helpful.... if you have any specific questions about that track ("how does ___ sound at a:bc?"), I'm happy to try and answer those in a more detailed fashion.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #19,549 of 40,594
Wow. I don't listen to such music, but wow. What a bass on Legend X :) Very impressive. Really like being in the club.

The track was nice; it wasn't too complex and it is (or seemed) rather bottom-heavy, so I don't have much to say about it save for that it sounded—as promised!—like being in the club. A lot of fun.

Now, if you listen to like Infected Mushroom (i'm not too knowledgeable about the genre but they're in it, yeah?), I think that that does a bit better job of showcasing the Legend X. I think that the previous song would sound almost as good on the Bravado's, and probably very very similar on the Valks. Something like this, though:

is more complicated from an imaging perspective, has way more information in the high end, and is generally a better test of the technical merits while not being any less fun. I'm listening to that track while typing this post, and I've got a full head-nod going and am typing at high speed in tune to the music. It's like listening to a club speaker setup alone in a nice listening room; you can hear all of the details in the mix but still have your foot tapping away.

Sorry if this isn't helpful.... if you have any specific questions about that track ("how does ___ sound at a:bc?"), I'm happy to try and answer those in a more detailed fashion.

It is very helpful, I appreciate you taking the time, thank you! You just made yearn for the LX! It sounds like it would suit my needs perfectly :)

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #19,550 of 40,594
It looks like the Valkyrie has veered into the category of "does not cooperate with my left ear".

As much as I love it, that's a no no in my books and as such I have listed mine (First 1 I believe).

Maybe a custom one day if EE makes the transition to 3D Printing.

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #19,551 of 40,594
It looks like the Valkyrie has veered into the category of "does not cooperate with my left ear".

As much as I love it, that's a no no in my books and as such I have listed mine (First 1 I believe).

I thought it was available as a CIEM but Wraith wasn't? (Or maybe you don't have physical molds and don't wanna get them made...?)

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #19,552 of 40,594
I thought it was available as a CIEM but Wraith wasn't? (Or maybe you don't have physical molds and don't wanna get them made...?)
I opted for the universal given historically EE stuff has cooperated with my ears.

Valk seems to have broken that track record sadly. There are a couple of problems, having to go back and fourth through my dealer if anything goes wrong and the potential of non 3D printed shells not fitting were factors against a CIEM.

Hoping more OEM's adapt it tbh.

Sep 12, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #19,554 of 40,594

Hi, just curious about this; in what way is it not cooperating with your left ear?

And why not an existing EE custom as opposed to a 3-D printed one?
I'm not so knowledgeable about these things, so it would be good to hear more detail :)

In any case, so sorry the fit hasn't worked out for you!

Sep 12, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #19,555 of 40,594
By the way, given the many questions and comments recently posted regarding comparisons between LX/Phantom/Valkyrie/Bravado etc, I thought it might be helpful to repost these graphs that were posted a while back.

With all due credit to @mr.karmalicious and @crinacle (and whoever it was who re-posted the Crinacle graph; I forget, sorry!).
If anyone is able to complete the job and superimpose the Bravado graph line onto the multi-IEM graph from Mr.Karmalicious, that would surely be an act of unspeakable nobility that would surely make you an even more attractive person generally :p
Alas, I have close to zero technical skills in this area; otherwise I should be sure to assist but regrettably must seek the kindness of strangers :)

Finally, before posting the graphs, a quick preamble/disclaimer. I've heard ALL the IEMs in these graphs to one degree or another.
There are - ahem - a 'healthy variety' of opinions regarding frequency charts; what I can say is that, having listened to these IEMs, it's fascinating to look at the graphs and be able to get some idea about exactly where and why I'm hearing the things I'm hearing. It's weird and wonderful how much they illustrate what I've been hearing on all these IEMs.

For example, with 4 e-stat drivers, I thought the Wraith was going to be like some kind of super-Zeus in the treble, but to my surprise, it was the Valkyrie that gave me this impression.
Looking at the graphs, I can now get a much better understanding of why, and what to expect and look for the next time I listen to these IEMs.

I'm also reading two excellent and informative reviews of the Phantom over at The Headphone List:
https://theheadphonelist.com/empire-ears-phantom-review-the-hero-we-deserve/2/
https://theheadphonelist.com/empire-ears-phantom-the-new-classic/2/
and being able to refer to these graphs as the review discusses the tunings at different frequencies is proving immensely helpful.

So, graphs to follow, as one valuable tool *to be used as part of a greater toolbox* in order to get a feel for what each IEM is offering and whether they might suit your tastes :)

Thanks again (deeply!) to the people who put the graphs together in the first place; all credit to them!
EE IEM comparison frequency graph.png
EE Bravado frequency graph.png

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #19,556 of 40,594
By the way, given the many questions and comments recently posted regarding comparisons between LX/Phantom/Valkyrie/Bravado etc, I thought it might be helpful to repost these graphs that were posted a while back.

With all due credit to @mr.karmalicious and @crinacle (and whoever it was who re-posted the Crinacle graph; I forget, sorry!).
If anyone is able to complete the job and superimpose the Bravado graph line onto the multi-IEM graph from Mr.Karmalicious, that would surely be an act of unspeakable nobility that would surely make you an even more attractive person generally :p
Alas, I have close to zero technical skills in this area; otherwise I should be sure to assist but regrettably must seek the kindness of strangers :)

Finally, before posting the graphs, a quick preamble/disclaimer. I've heard ALL the IEMs in these graphs to one degree or another.
There are - ahem - a 'healthy variety' of opinions regarding frequency charts; what I can say is that, having listened to these IEMs, it's fascinating to look at the graphs and be able to get some idea about exactly where and why I'm hearing the things I'm hearing. It's weird and wonderful how much they illustrate what I've been hearing on all these IEMs.

For example, with 4 e-stat drivers, I thought the Wraith was going to be like some kind of super-Zeus in the treble, but to my surprise, it was the Valkyrie that gave me this impression.
Looking at the graphs, I can now get a much better understanding of why, and what to expect and look for the next time I listen to these IEMs.

I'm also reading two excellent and informative reviews of the Phantom over at The Headphone List:
https://theheadphonelist.com/empire-ears-phantom-review-the-hero-we-deserve/2/
https://theheadphonelist.com/empire-ears-phantom-the-new-classic/2/
and being able to refer to these graphs as the review discusses the tunings at different frequencies is proving immensely helpful.

So, graphs to follow, as one valuable tool *to be used as part of a greater toolbox* in order to get a feel for what each IEM is offering and whether they might suit your tastes :)

Thanks again (deeply!) to the people who put the graphs together in the first place; all credit to them!

This graph shows why I like the Phantom as my next purchase. It is flatter than the rest and drops off at the point where I can't hear anyway since I could not hear 8000 kHz at my Monday physical exam for work. I like my Legend X for the Bass and A12t for the all arounder great sound. Phantom would give me the other tuning I like although I am also looking at the JH Audio Lola vs the Phantom as I have heard and like both of them, but they are very similar to me in their characteristics.

Sep 12, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #19,557 of 40,594

that's too bad, I'll be joining the custom Valk club on the 25th this month. Fell in love almost instantly when I demo'd at Charles'.

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #19,558 of 40,594
that's too bad, I'll be joining the custom Valk club on the 25th this month. Fell in love almost instantly when I demo'd at Charles'.
Yeah, I wanted to give the universals a try since if I didn't like them, I'm stuck with them in custom. Plus having to do impressions again is a bit of a pain. Too bad I cant used the scans I have.

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #19,559 of 40,594
Yeah, I wanted to give the universals a try since if I didn't like them, I'm stuck with them in custom. Plus having to do impressions again is a bit of a pain. Too bad I cant used the scans I have.

I can feel you my friend! That is why I am always leaning to custom IEMs no matter what and am lucky to get a good impression of my excellent audiologist. :smile_phones:

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #19,560 of 40,594

That is what may put the Phantom ahead of the JH Audio Lola. Empire Ears has my scan due to me purchasing a Legend X custom. I never ordered a custom from JH Audio meaning I would need to do impressions again.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back