Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 10, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #19,516 of 40,611
I was thinking of making a trip to Sydney just for it but the cost would set me back $300 on flight tickets alone... :frowning2:
Do you mean to try them? because if it is to order, you can do all by the phone as I did mine. :)

Tried them during a holiday trip to Japan, coincidentally I was around the e-earphone shop there and they have it to try.

Sep 10, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #19,517 of 40,611
Just wanna chime in and note that customs are genuinely AMAZING. I'll never go back to universals.

My custom Nemesis should apparently be arriving today :)

My first time with customs. Not sure what to expect!

I've heard some people talk about discomfort when they first use them?
Can anyone advise me about this? Is there anything I can/should do to reduce this? :)

And is there anything you do regularly to take care of the condition of the IEMs?

Sep 10, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #19,518 of 40,611

Can anyone advise me about this? Is there anything I can/should do to reduce this? :)

And is there anything you do regularly to take care of the condition of the IEMs?

I think there's no alternative to just wearing them daily and getting used to them. But, EE are a good company to start customs with, as their CIEMs tend to not be as tight as those from other companies. So, I think the adjustment period should be relatively short. I usually just wipe them with high-percentage isopropyl alcohol and a microfibre cloth every few days.

Sep 10, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #19,519 of 40,611
The Guys from Minidisc are really good and supportive, got my LX from them.

Ps.: Tell me more about your Labkable and Xelento. :)

Yes, they are both New and both for sale!

Sep 10, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #19,520 of 40,611
Just wanna chime in and note that customs are genuinely AMAZING. I'll never go back to universals.

That's a major reason why EE is of interest to me. Regular tips simply do not work in my ears. SoundMolds custom silicone tips let me use universals just fine, but customs would be so much more convenient.

Sep 10, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #19,522 of 40,611

I'd look at a little video on how to insert them (the twisting motion may be new to you), but honestly mine were immediately comfortable. After a day, they were perfect. I wipe them down with the included EE microfiber cloth before I put them back in their case at the end of the day, and with a little alcohol wipe every now and then.

That's a major reason why EE is of interest to me. Regular tips simply do not work in my ears. SoundMolds custom silicone tips let me use universals just fine, but customs would be so much more convenient.

Similar; I lived about half an hour from EE but was going to be moving across the country soon, so I figured I'd give the LX and Phantom a listen before moving. I really wasn't planning on getting them, but—as Austin can attest to—I was so impressed with the Legend X that I started thinking about it. When I saw that I could just have impressions done directly at EE to make sure that everything went smoothly... well, it didn't take long to convince myself that I should just bite the bullet, so I had molds done and ordered the LX ~2 months later once I was settled into my new job in IL.

I used to just use the "olive" foam tips with my SE530s, but once I moved on to nicer IEMs (like the S8F), I noticed that they really muffled the sound. I tried to use different tips (like, everything—spinfits, symbios, spiral dots, stock silicone tips...), but they never fit in my left/right ears the same, and they always would start to feel itchy or just weird after ~2 hours at most. No such issues with the LX at all. Maybe something to do with the size difference:

upload_2019-9-10_11-14-12.png

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #19,524 of 40,611
Looking for feedback for the Valkyrie
Paired up with the DX220?
Hiss, no hiss?
Is this dap able to drive adequately?
Overall sound impressions with what ever amp module you are using.

Thanks

I listened to them on my DX220 using the default AMP1 Mk II.
I found no hiss and was able to drive them fine :)
I've posted impressions various times on this thread (and they were all based on that AMP unit and DAP); I'll give the briefest summary here, but do search the thread for my (and other people's) impressions. Briefly, an excellent low end with plenty of impact and rumble, but not quite so much as Legend X. Mids are balanced, treble is superb; huge, airy, open, extended for miles. An exciting performance. Depending on what aspects of the sound signature you'd like to enhance or subdue, I think AMP9 or AMP8 would also work very well with the Valkyrie :)

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #19,525 of 40,611
I listened to them on my DX220 using the default AMP1 Mk II.
I found no hiss and was able to drive them fine :)
I've posted impressions various times on this thread (and they were all based on that AMP unit and DAP); I'll give the briefest summary here, but do search the thread for my (and other people's) impressions. Briefly, an excellent low end with plenty of impact and rumble, but not quite so much as Legend X. Mids are balanced, treble is superb; huge, airy, open, extended for miles. An exciting performance. Depending on what aspects of the sound signature you'd like to enhance or subdue, I think AMP9 or AMP8 would also work very well with the Valkyrie :)
Thanks for the quick response, last iem I drove with the dx220 was the CL2 and there wasn’t much ceiling left.
If you can recall, what name Meereen were you comfortably driving them at using the stock amp?
Lastly, we’re you using the supplied EA cable, or any cable recommendation? And what is a good amount of hours to burn in?

I really appreciate it.

Matt

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #19,526 of 40,611
I am using Valkyrie with both the amp9 and the W mod amp 8. Both have plenty of power to drive these. I am using 8 wire Eros 11 and the Tri-copper cables. Very punchy bottom end that reaches very deep , miss are not in your face but very present , detailed and spot on, and the highs are very extended and detailed without ever being harsh or sibilant. A very nice combo that I listen to daily for hours with a huge grin on my face

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #19,527 of 40,611
Thanks for the quick response, last iem I drove with the dx220 was the CL2 and there wasn’t much ceiling left.
If you can recall, what name Meereen were you comfortably driving them at using the stock amp?
Lastly, we’re you using the supplied EA cable, or any cable recommendation? And what is a good amount of hours to burn in?

I really appreciate it.

Matt

Hi again Matt, and you're welcome :)
Volume level (I think you got autocorrected, but I assume that's what you were asking!).. Can't quite recall, although I think I posted it here previously on this thread.
I'm guessing around 45-55? I do recall that I had to turn the volume down by about 20 points when I plugged in the Wraith; this is not a negative point about the Valkyrie, rather that the Wraith had some electronic tech/arcanum inside that allowed it to be astonishingly easily driven.

I was using the supplied cable. I tried it with another one, I think the Ares II+, and it really changed the sound signature! Dampened down the energetic highs, further enhanced the low end and added some extra warmth and body (if I recall all this correctly!). Again, I believe I posted about all this previously :)

Well, options vary concerning burn-in; for myself, I think 100-200 hours is enough, and usually I spend the first 5 days just playing them 24/7 on a plugged in DAP (energetic playlist on repeat), and then take things from there.

Of course, if you listen to them a lot, you'll get to 100-200 hours of burn-in sooner or later anyway, so it rather depends on your listening habits and patience :p

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #19,528 of 40,611
Well... Phantoms and Bravados are sold... Just waiting for the lucky new owners to receive them so planning the next move...

As I've said many times in really interested in the LX or Valkyrie...

Considering a they are about the same price (used LX) is there any good performance reason to choose the Valkyrie? I get the impression that the mids on the LX would be warmer and closer to the Phantoms than the Valkyrie would... This is a tough call...

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #19,529 of 40,611
Well, this is rather random, but to my own surprise I bought a used Phantom a couple of days ago and it arrived yesterday, as did my new custom Nemesis.
More on all those later as I'm in the middle of cooking a roast dinner, but I just want to say that Christmas carols sound astonishingly good on the Phantom!
I find them very relaxing to listen to at any time of the year, and have a FLAC playlist that I'm enjoying as we speak. That's just how I roll :p

There's a real synergy, and I imagine this would apply to other kinds of choral music and vocal arrangements too :)
Anyway, that dinner isn't going to cook itself lol.
Laters :D

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #19,530 of 40,611
Looking for feedback for the Valkyrie
Paired up with the DX220?
Hiss, no hiss?
Is this dap able to drive adequately?
Overall sound impressions with what ever amp module you are using.

Thanks

Hey Matt,

I was very impressive with the Valkyrie when I was at the CanJam SoCal listening with DX220/ amp1mark2. The synergy and details to all spectrum of this combination made me deciding to have them by the end of this year (might take advantage of Black Friday discount!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back