Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 7, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #19,471 of 40,607
@Vitaly2017 @SBranson Where are your Valkyries? Fellow Canucks need to join me in shilling for Empire :p

Sep 8, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #19,473 of 40,607
Want the Valkerie so bad!

Sep 8, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #19,476 of 40,607
that was quick :eyes:

I've never been interested in having a lot of iems, and would prefer to have the best one I can afford rather than two.
I thought the Phantoms were my end for a while but then @Colors put up his Bravados, which I had said I would buy from him almost a year ago. When I got them and heard that bass, I decided I wanted to combine the Phantoms, Bravados and the Ares II 8 wire and put that all into a LX or the Valkyrie... I never considered myself a bass head at all but that low impact just adds so much that I really miss it when it's not there. The type of music I listen to (what I've been posting) has a whole new dimension with that deep rumble. The Phantoms are really nice and the bass is really quite good but it's just not the same... These days I find myself reaching for the Bravados more often than not.. so if the Valkyrie are an upgrade of the Bravados, I think I would be very happy with them... Sadly I have to sell the others to be able to get them...

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #19,477 of 40,607
I totally echo what SBranson has said!

Sep 8, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #19,478 of 40,607
Something fun arrived today :ksc75smile:

Really enjoying them so far!

I see you have an Atlas in your sig. May I ask how it compares to the Vakyrie?

I used to own the Atlas and absolutely loved the sound, sadly I had to sell it because I just couldnt handle the fit. Ever since I've been looking for something similar to its sound signature. I've been eyeing the Valkyrie and hoping for it to be the one.

Sep 8, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #19,480 of 40,607
Totally torn in deciding whether the Phantoms or the Valkyrie would be my next and first ever CIEMs. Unfortunately I do not have the opportunity to try them for myself... Relying heavily on your impressions!

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #19,481 of 40,607
Totally torn in deciding whether the Phantoms or the Valkyrie would be my next and first ever CIEMs. Unfortunately I do not have the opportunity to try them for myself... Relying heavily on your impressions!

Hey mate,

What is it you're ideally looking for sound-wise?
I've heard both, and they're really rather different.

In the crudest of generalisations, Phantom reminds me more of the Wraith than any other EE IEM (NB: I haven't heard the rest of the EP series). And I appreciate this may not be that helpful if you haven't heard the Wraith! Dark, rich, intimate, exotic, unique.

Valkyrie (again in very general terms) is like the b*stard lovechild of Zeus and Bravado. Who may one day end up being king lol.

Both excellent, but both very different. I'm aware that you know your audiophile stuff, so I'm just curious what you're really looking for :)

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #19,482 of 40,607
Hey mate,

What is it you're ideally looking for sound-wise?
I've heard both, and they're really rather different.

In the crudest of generalisations, Phantom reminds me more of the Wraith than any other EE IEM (NB: I haven't heard the rest of the EP series). And I appreciate this may not be that helpful if you haven't heard the Wraith! Dark, rich, intimate, exotic, unique.

Valkyrie (again in very general terms) is like the b*stard lovechild of Zeus and Bravado. Who may one day end up being king lol.

Both excellent, but both very different. I'm aware that you know your audiophile stuff, so I'm just curious what you're really looking for :)

Hey man, just the guy I was thinking of who would probably answer this! Well I personally own the Hermes which is part of the legacy lineup, with a slight warmish - neutral setup with 6 BA drivers.

The thick organic sound of the phantom does intrigue me, due to my sibliance issues. That's the part that's making me a little hesitant with the Valkyrie, as the treble extension and sparkly highs may give me an issue (pairing it with a fairly neutral/bright DAP as well). But I do want to experience the DD bass as I've been there with a multi-BA driver setup.

I've read a review where it mentions that the Valk's mids seem too distant, and that's a little worrying for me as well. Gah. Wish I could hear it to be the judge.

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #19,483 of 40,607
Hey man, just the guy I was thinking of who would probably answer this! Well I personally own the Hermes which is part of the legacy lineup, with a slight warmish - neutral setup with 6 BA drivers.

The thick organic sound of the phantom does intrigue me, due to my sibliance issues. That's the part that's making me a little hesitant with the Valkyrie, as the treble extension and sparkly highs may give me an issue (pairing it with a fairly neutral/bright DAP as well). But I do want to experience the DD bass as I've been there with a multi-BA driver setup.

I've read a review where it mentions that the Valk's mids seem too distant, and that's a little worrying for me as well. Gah. Wish I could hear it to be the judge.

I'd imagine if you swopped out the dap (or cable if you believe in that stuff) for a warmish signature it may work out better. All about system synergy.

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #19,484 of 40,607
I'd imagine if you swopped out the dap (or cable if you believe in that stuff) for a warmish signature it may work out better. All about system synergy.

Yeah I do believe in the cable controversy. With my current setup the synergy is there. Pretty much reluctant to spend more on the other parts of the chain unfortunately.

Sep 8, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #19,485 of 40,607

Hey, and thanks very much! Oh, the pressure.. :p

I can't recall exactly, but did someone on here say that there were any spikes in the Phantom which may have caused issues in treble sensitive people?
I do have sensitivities in mid/upper treble, but I was able to listen to both IEMs without that being triggered, even on some pretty trigger-tastic tracks :p

To be honest, I really liked the Phantom and was intrigued by them and still keep wishing I had a pair. However, as @SBranson noted, once you've heard that DD bass goodness, it's really hard to go back to anything less!

Regarding the Valkyrie's mids, I didn't find them to be distant. Indeed, I felt them to be pleasantly present and engaging. It's just that the bass and treble are truly exceptional, but don't let this fool you into underestimating the mids.

I certainly recall impressions on here recently saying that they felt the mids to be well-executed and *not* recessed or distant.
Of course, as you know, opinions are subjective and will vary.
I wish you could hear them all too!
I've seen at least two Australians/Australian residents on Head-Fi; surely that's grounds enough for a CanJam down under by now? :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back