Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 6, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #19,456 of 40,577
You know, a great track to try on the Legend X (and I'm sure on the Valkyrie) is Sacrifice by Björk off of Biophilia. Just excellent. Tidal has it in MQA, if you believe in magic, but if you can find a nice modern V0 copy I'm sure you'll be set.

Edit: I realize that's maybe not convincing, so...

* Really interesting instrumentation that covers a large portion of the frequency spectrum. The main bassline is carried by a "sharpsichord", a 2.5-ton acoustic 46-stringed harp played by a pin-cylinder.
* Björk has an incredible, unique voice, which she layers over itself in a way that really tests detail retrieval. It seems to stretch from 200Hz-1k as she pitches it around.
* The layering also tests soundstage openness, because she'll have several vocal tracks in the ~center, while carrying a differently pitched and times one all the way off to the side--kind of like counterpoint, but I dunno jargon too well :). You should be able to clearly hear each of them in their respective locations.
* lovely synthy bass that will get your dynamic drivers active. It's not down at 20Hz or anything, but it does a good job of punching.

It's really good!

and because i can’t help myself, it’s good to know i’m not talking out of my ass. here, you can see the sharpsichord being plucked, and you can see that it really does cover the frequency spectrum from bottom to top:

(and the bass is around 60Hz)

Yes, very nice indeed. I agree with all you points listed above. Great vocal tracks layering, interesting sound of that sharpsichord, and the bass parts :). I like the bass parts intro especially :)

Regarding the Legend X - it is too early to judge because I did not like it at start. I mean the sound was ok, but the soundstage - there was something wrong with it. If you can imagine soundstage started from let's say from 9 o'clock (left channel) and ended on max 1 o'clock (right channel). This was really weird. So I gave them a little burning in over the night and day (roughly 18 hours), and now it is really better. I have never experienced such thing. There may something wrong with the right earphone, but definitely it is improving.

Yesterday the guitar in the left channel was really at the 9 o'clock position, but the guitar on the right was rather in front of me (1 o'clock) rather on the right side. Weird. Lets see in a couple of days...

Sep 6, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #19,457 of 40,577
Yes, very nice indeed. I agree with all you points listed above. Great vocal tracks layering, interesting sound of that sharpsichord, and the bass parts :). I like the bass parts intro especially :)

Regarding the Legend X - it is too early to judge because I did not like it at start. I mean the sound was ok, but the soundstage - there was something wrong with it. If you can imagine soundstage started from let's say from 9 o'clock (left channel) and ended on max 1 o'clock (right channel). This was really weird. So I gave them a little burning in over the night and day (roughly 18 hours), and now it is really better. I have never experienced such thing. There may something wrong with the right earphone, but definitely it is improving.

Yesterday the guitar in the left channel was really at the 9 o'clock position, but the guitar on the right was rather in front of me (1 o'clock) rather on the right side. Weird. Lets see in a couple of days...
Glad you agree :). That's very strange about the soundstage... customs, or universals?

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #19,460 of 40,577
Glad you agree :). That's very strange about the soundstage... customs, or universals?
Sometimes, when my ears are dirty, one more than the other, it throws of the balance and soundstage. Just throwing that out there. . .

Sep 6, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #19,461 of 40,577
Definitely; it's worth going to your doctor real quick and seeing if you have any impacted wax. I dunno why it would only be noticeable on the LX (if that's the case), but with customs especially it makes sense to check...

Sep 7, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #19,462 of 40,577
Apologies for cross posting (I’ve posted a wanted ad too).

I’m super keen to get hold of a pair of EE LX (preferably within the EU). If anyone is interested please PM - I can look at a deal involving my Meze Rai Penta and/or Cayin N6ii.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #19,463 of 40,577
Something fun arrived today :ksc75smile:
0D400BF0-01C1-4753-AEF4-21028DF518C0.jpeg 76BD7F1E-58C5-411E-865A-78E307B5CD5F.jpeg
Really enjoying them so far!

Sep 7, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #19,464 of 40,577
Something fun arrived today :ksc75smile:

Really enjoying them so far!

Congratulations. Feeling a little jealous over here... ha.ha... Let us know what you think.

On another note, I decided to swap in the Eros II 8 wire I use on my Phantoms to the Bravados and it tightened up the bass and seems to get rid of the hybrid sense in that the tone of the bass is as clear and defined as a BA bass but with the beautiful low impact of the DD.
I still can't get over how clear and capable that one BA is too...
Looking forward to more listening today..

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #19,466 of 40,577
Congratulations. Feeling a little jealous over here... ha.ha... Let us know what you think.

On another note, I decided to swap in the Eros II 8 wire I use on my Phantoms to the Bravados and it tightened up the bass and seems to get rid of the hybrid sense in that the tone of the bass is as clear and defined as a BA bass but with the beautiful low impact of the DD.
The Bravado really is busted good for being a 1/1 hybrid.

Sep 7, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #19,467 of 40,577

How's the isolation on it? If EE introduce 3-d printing could be interested in one (if the currency ever improves :frowning2: :p ).

Sep 7, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #19,468 of 40,577
How's the isolation on it? If EE introduce 3-d printing could be interested in one (if the currency ever improves :frowning2: :p ).

Interesting you should ask. @Colors mentioned a test for seal wherein you rub your fingers together next to your ear. I forgot about it until you asked and tried it with the spiral dots I have on them and usually use and in the right ear I could hear my fingers but much less so my left. So I tried the final e type and same thing. Switch to Symbios and quiet in both ears.. I know the fit in my ears has always been a little different but this was very instructive. And boy, things do sound a little tighter and clearer with the Symbios. Bass is a little "thumpier" though on this track.

Thanks for the tip @Colors

So... Isolation is pretty good though I never use them out of the house so real world isolation might be another story.

I've always thought that the Phantoms were an iem that you learn to love but I'm really finding this with the Bravados.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back