Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 2, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #19,411 of 40,613
One billion dollars.
12fc8f7415061141fc2a79464b7847602475430c05385d5e731e1994b12881c0.jpg

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #19,412 of 40,613
don’t say i never did nothin for ya :p

this was added by hand, but should be pretty much dead-on. you can see why folks say that the phantom has a unique timbre, i’d say

Thanks a lot!!

Interestingly, the Valkyrie is kinda close to the Bravado graph

graph.png .

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #19,413 of 40,613
I listeneded to the Valkyrie, wraith, and legend x (comparing with my phantom) over the course.of about 3 hours a few days ago in Singapore. I have a Valkyrie on preorder back home, so was listening to see if I was going to keep the preorder or stick with my phantoms. I'm keeping the preorder.

The valkyeries were pretty impressive. Very spacious and holographic, lovely energetic but not fatiguing highs, deep, impactful lows that did not bleed, and mids that were slightly less emphasized than the highs and lows, but still very much present and not recessed. Of my iems, the mids reminded me most of the Solaris, but valkyeries had deeper, more present bass and more sparkly, energetic highs while still not being tizzy or harsh. The mids probably had a touch more warmth than the Solaris and the Solaris probably has a resolution edge, but they are close.

Compared to the legends, the valkyeries mids were more present and the highs had a little zing to them that you don't get from the legends BAs. Although I felt the legends and the valkyeries were similar in the bass extension, the legends, unsurprisingly, had a more impactful bass wollop. Compared the the phantoms, the valkyeries had more subbass and longer decay as you would expect from a dynamic driver vs BAs. In the treble, the valkyeries are more energetic up top, but the phantoms actually have brighter upper mids/lower treble, which is an area I can be sensitive to, so while the phantoms never cross the line to harshness for me, they actually get closer to it than the valkyeries (ymmv depending on where/if you have sensitivity). Although mids still sounded full on the valkyeries to my ears, they are less thick than on the phantoms, which adds some additional spaciousness and some additional clarity. While their thicker sound means you sort of have to step into the phantoms to appreciate their three dimensionality, the valkyeries put you right in the middle of it without having to do anything.

The wraith was definitely more in the vein of the phantoms, with a similar relative emphasis on the mids and the highs, though the mids (and signature generally) were less thick than on the phantoms and the highs had that special something, sparkle, and energy at the highest end that some felt the phantoms lacked. Although there is less midbass on the wraith compared to the phantoms, their bass was more alike than different. The wraiths had the resolution edge on the phantoms. ive never heard the Zeus, so can't compare the wraiths there. While the wraiths were impressive, I preferred the Valkyrie for what I am currently looking for.

In short, I really liked the valkyries and will be selling my beloved phantoms once the valkyeries arrive. I wouldn't say the valkyeries are superior to the phantoms, but they are the more engaging pair and more in line with what I am itching for at the moment.

[Edited to fix typos]

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #19,415 of 40,613
I listeneded to the Valkyrie, wraith, and legend x (comparing with my phantom) over the course.of about 3 hours a few days ago in Singapore. I have a Valkyrie on preorder back home, so was listening to see if I was going to keep the preorder or stick with my phantoms. I'm keeping the preorder.

The valkyeries were pretty impressive. Very spacious and holographic, lovely energetic but not fatiguing highs, deep, impactful lows that did not bleed, and mids that were slightly less emphasized than the highs and lows, but still very much present and not recessed. Of my iems, the mids reminded me most of the Solaris, but valkyeries had deeper, more present bass and more sparkly, energetic highs while still not being tizzy or harsh. The mids probably had a touch more warmth than the Solaris and the Solaris probably has a resolution edge, but they are close.

Compared to the legends, the valkyeries mids were more present and the highs had a little zing to them that you don't get from the legends BAs. Although I felt the legends and the valkyeries were similar in the bass extension, the legends, unsurprisingly, had a more impactful bass wollop. Compared the the phantoms, the valkyeries had more subbass and longer decay as you would expect from a dynamic driver vs BAs. In the treble, the valkyeries are more energetic up top, but the phantoms actually have brighter upper mids/lower treble, which is an area I can be sensitive to, so while the phantoms never cross the line to harshness for me, they actually get closer to it than the valkyeries (ymmv depending on where/if you have sensitivity. Although mids still sounded full on the valkyeries to my ears, they are less thick than on the phantoms, which adds some additional spaciousness and some additional clarity. While their thicker sound means you sort of have to step into the phantoms to appreciate their three dimensionality, the valkyeries put you right in the middle of it without having to do anything.

The wraith was definitely more in the vein of the phantoms, with a similar relative emphasis on the mids and the highs, though the mids were less thick than on the phantoms and the highs had that special something, sparkle, and energy at the highest end that some felt the phantoms lacked. Although there is slightly less midbass on the wraith compared to the phantoms, their bass was more alike than different. The wraiths had the resolution edge on the phantoms. ive never heard the Zeus, so can't compare the wraiths there. While the wraiths were impressive, I preferred the Valkyrie for what I am currently looking for.

In short, I reall and will be sellingy beloved phantoms once the valkyeries arrive. I wouldn't say the valkyeries are Superior to the phantoms, but they are the more engaging pair and more in line with what I am itching for at the moment.

Great comparison of the Valkyrie to the LX and Phantoms.

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #19,416 of 40,613
Can someone please provide me some specs on Empire ears pandora box?

The case it shipped with, with my LX CIEMs was a bad idea, the LX are squished in there and leave impressions on top rubber, so i am looking into the pandora, but i have a few questions before a purchase

i need to know if it will fit in my hip pouch, so i need to know its dimensions and how thick it is

i also want to know what the storage space, inside dimensions and depth, is

If my LX CIEMs are just crammed in there,it will be a wasted purchase

Does the lid screw down on a thread,or is it a snap lid or seal?

Cheers

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #19,417 of 40,613

The case it shipped with, with my LX CIEMs was a bad idea, the LX are squished in there and leave impressions on top rubber, so i am looking into the pandora, but i have a few questions before a purchase

i need to know if it will fit in my hip pouch, so i need to know its dimensions and how thick it is

Cheers

depending on your wire the Pandora case may be too small. With the Ares it’ll be fine but with either of my PW Audio cables it was a tight squeeze and I didn’t like it so I used it to store my adapters instead and kept my IEMs in a pelican 1020. It’s a screw on lid, probably too thick height wise for pockets in pants unless they’re loose.

Sep 3, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #19,418 of 40,613

Cheers

The lid screws on with threads and the case dimensions were posted by me here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/emp...merly-earwerkz.786335/page-1261#post-15106425

Sep 3, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #19,420 of 40,613
Valks in ear, grin on my face from the W9s.

Auditioned the Wraith, mixed feelings

Also ran into @Colors at headfoneshop

Sep 3, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #19,421 of 40,613
Just got my legend X, have a few questions if someone could help out

1. the driver flex, is constant untill sealed in my ears. Comply of course reduce this, but will it damage the W9 diaphragms?

2. Do you guys unplug them from the 2 pin whening putting back into the aegis case? I have a pelican 1010 which i use to keep them plugged and coiled

3. What do you pair them with? I have a HIby R5 on the way, but am currently using them with my iphone with a Fiio 2.5 to 3.5 adapter.

Thanks

Sep 3, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #19,422 of 40,613
https://imgur.com/a/EOxaVfh

Quick comparison between the Aegis and Pandora cases
I think the new one looks pretty, but is not practical. The old one lools practical, but is too big and not space effective. I would prefer a redesign of the old one to make it more space effective. The 64 audio is really good on that, size and practicality.

Sep 3, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #19,423 of 40,613

1. the driver flex, is constant untill sealed in my ears. Comply of course reduce this, but will it damage the W9 diaphragms?

2. Do you guys unplug them from the 2 pin whening putting back into the aegis case? I have a pelican 1010 which i use to keep them plugged and coiled

3. What do you pair them with? I have a HIby R5 on the way, but am currently using them with my iphone with a Fiio 2.5 to 3.5 adapter.

Thanks
I would be really angey w
If that damagez the w9s and even more andry if that is not warranty covered. My Custom LX do a LOT of flex.

Sep 3, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #19,424 of 40,613
@SBranson @Vitaly2017

Get your wallets ready for Charles, don't think I'll be selling my Valks.

Sep 3, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #19,425 of 40,613

Thanks

1. Driver flex is pretty normal
2. I wouldn’t. No need to unnecessarily remove/plug in cables (you don’t want loose connectors down the line).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back