Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 16, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #15,466 of 40,591
if you can/decide to reshell your zeus , ask to go for the 2-in-1 Zeus XR

amazing versatility , especially if you are not a hardcore basshead

Aug 16, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #15,468 of 40,591
XiV brings the mids more close/upfront and adds some bass , while R is more flat and the soundstage has more depth (since the mids are not as close as the XIV mids)

btw people saying that zeus has no bass are probably basshead freaks , i sometimes tune down the bass a notch especially with bass-heavy genres (like Prog House)

ps : it goes without saying @forbiddenbeat that if you already liked the R tuning , are not a basshead freak and can reshell/upgrade your R to XR for something like 500$ (EE are very helpful there usually), that's it a 'just do it' option imho - you get 2 TOTL at a fraction of a price for every other TOTL out there

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #15,469 of 40,591
I've spent time with Zeus-R and LX, owned Utes and currently own Fantoms, so I guess that qualifies me to try and help, but no guarantee you'll see it that way : )

I think it's safe to say neither EE will incorporate what you're currently hearing as the Utopian advantages being held over your ZR's. Also unfortunate is I'm not the right guy here to recommend you alternative iems - plus you'll be best to list what it is about your Ute's that you prefer if someone is to - but I feel I should add that Utopia's have a visceral punch to them not replicated by 99% of other hps, let alone iems, so it's important to manage expectations with regards to replicating their dynamism. And only because this is going so well, IIRC EE halted all reshell services, not just owner transfer. I warned you up top : )

From what I've learned from the kind folk here 64 Audio's upper echelon might be the best place to start with your research....then again I ended up selling my Utes as the Phantoms were receiving more use, but that's not to say Utopias didn't do some things more convincingly than Phantoms as you're aware of with your Ute/iem combo. Your Utopian lean was my reasoning behind not suggesting either EE for you.

Aug 16, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #15,470 of 40,591
I've spent time with Zeus-R and LX, owned Utes and currently own Fantoms, so I guess that qualifies me to try and help, but no guarantee you'll see it that way : )

I think it's safe to say neither EE will incorporate what you're currently hearing as the Utopian advantages being held over your ZR's. Also unfortunate is I'm not the right guy here to recommend you alternative iems - plus you'll be best to list what it is about your Ute's that you prefer if someone is to - but I feel I should add that Utopia's have a visceral punch to them not replicated by 99% of other hps, let alone iems, so it's important to manage expectations with regards to replicating their dynamism. And only because this is going so well, IIRC EE halted all reshell services, not just owner transfer. I warned you up top : )

From what I've learned from the kind folk here 64 Audio's upper echelon might be the best place to start with your research....then again I ended up selling my Utes as the Phantoms were receiving more use, but that's not to say Utopias didn't do some things more convincingly than Phantoms as you're aware of with your Ute/iem combo. Your Utopian lean was my reasoning behind not suggesting either EE for you.

Can confirm.

EDIT: confirming bolded text, lol. Not whole analysis. heh

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #15,472 of 40,591
Hey folks, new head-fier here (long-tie lurker). I currently have a set of Empire Zeus-R universals and Focal Utopia headphones. I'm trying to consolidate into one set of custom IEMs, and trying to decide what to do.

I love the Zeus-R's, but the Utopia's sound appeals to me more (not a fair comparison, of course). I'd love to give EE my business, so I'm trying to decide if I should reshell my Zeus, or order a custom set of Legend-X or Phantoms. Can anyone with experience with the Utopia's and one of EE's TOTL's weigh in? Thanks!

If you want a CIEM that evokes the speed and clarity of the Utopia's, the ESR is a worthy option from EE's current line-up. As Nate and Devon have mentioned, reshelling services have been terminated anyway, so your only option is to get a new CIEM. With that said, I've heard many call the 64Audio A18 somewhat like a mini-Utopia, so I'd give that more attention if I were you. :wink:

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #15,473 of 40,591
If you want a CIEM that evokes the speed and clarity of the Utopia's, the ESR is a worthy option from EE's current line-up. As Nate and Devon have mentioned, reshelling services have been terminated anyway, so your only option is to get a new CIEM. With that said, I've heard many call the 64Audio A18 somewhat like a mini-Utopia, so I'd give that more attention if I were you. :wink:

Awesome, thanks! Will check out the ESR and the 64 lineup. The ESR would be great, since we just bought a house and some spare cash would help. :D

Aug 16, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #15,475 of 40,591
Great, thanks for the opinions! Sounds like perhaps I need to find a way to demo a few other IEMs before buying. In either case I'll probably sell my Utopias soon, since I end up being mobile most of the time.
If you're ever in Fort Collins, I have a pair of universal Phantoms and Fourtes I'd be happy to let you audition. Very different iems, so it could give you an idea of what type of signature you're leaning toward!:ksc75smile:

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #15,477 of 40,591
Not really! I have learned enough lessons...

My lesson learnt over years of cable rolling is that big prices paid means you get the blingiest chunk of metal threads (not necessarily the best sounding or even good sounding at all)

Ares is priced right and sounds right. No cable should "sound good" by itself IMHO.

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #15,478 of 40,591
My lesson learnt over years of cable rolling is that big prices paid means you get the blingiest chunk of metal threads (not necessarily the best sounding or even good sounding at all)

Ares is priced right and sounds right. No cable should "sound good" by itself IMHO.
Have to listen to 1960s? I had listen to many other high end cables and none come close to it

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #15,480 of 40,591
Have to listen to 1960s? I had listen to many other high end cables and none come close to it

Yes. Have also heard so many comments about them. Some hypes about it like it's other-worldly good while some just found it so-so. I belongs to the latter school I guess, but I do attest to its quality. It's good, very good indeed but nothing special enough to justify the price. You don't even get the bling you usually get with that sort of dough lolllllllll Of course testing of cables can't be of any reference value if one doesn't take into account the iems used and, less importantly, the source. I tested the 4-wire 1960s on my own U18s and LX with my WM1A. Maybe it'd pair up ridiculously well with other iems, but that's for others to comment. It's a cable I'd wholeheartedly recommend if it's in the $400 to $500 range, and would also be of reasonable value within the $500 to $600 range. Definitely a No-No at the present price bracket. A no-brainer NOOOOOOOOOOO.

If you had listened to many high end cables (everyone in Japan/Taiwan/HK does that nowadays anyway), I'd suggest you could also try (better still blind-testing) as many cables in the
"lower end"
in terms of price.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back