Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 14, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #15,422 of 40,607
Most just accept Flac as the answer, but it's really not.

When a FLAC file is decompressed, the result is exactly the same as (i.e., identical to) the original (whether CDDA, WAV, AIFF, or low-bitrate MP3.) There are only two differences between WAV and FLAC: The processing time and power to compress to and decompress from the FLAC; and, the space required to store (or transmit) the file.

Aug 14, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #15,423 of 40,607
I think it is the way to do business. If you can afford $2K cables you can afford more later in time based on your level of addiction plus the competition between companies just want offer the best of the best...

That's the good word, addiction... I think companies are starting to realize that TOTL is a pure drug once you've tasted it, you want more... my spending has gone sky high lately, and I sometimes think I would need some detox!

Aug 14, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #15,424 of 40,607
That's the good word, addiction... I think companies are starting to realize that TOTL is a pure drug once you've tasted it, you want more... my spending has gone sky high lately, and I sometimes think I would need some detox!

....but the detox market is exactly the same :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #15,425 of 40,607
'' Hi , I am Proedros (Hi Proedros!!!) and i have been clean 12 months''

[ actually it's been 1 year since i bought zeus/wm1a and no significant buys since hurrahhhh

Aug 14, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #15,426 of 40,607

To paraphrase Richard Pryor: I've got friends who've been buying TOTL IEMs for fifteen years, and they aren't addicted.

Aug 14, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #15,427 of 40,607
To paraphrase Richard Pryor: I've got friends who've been buying TOTL IEMs for fifteen years, and they aren't addicted.

They probably purchased the wrong stuff then :wink:

Aug 14, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #15,428 of 40,607
btw i preordered the Hugo TT2 today.... to feed my babies adequately.
i wonder if i need some detox as well.

Aug 14, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #15,429 of 40,607

Well you need it!

Let me PM you my postal adress so that you can relieve yourself of these drugs :wink:
I'll gladly take your burden :D

Aug 14, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #15,431 of 40,607
Well you need it!

Let me PM you my postal adress so that you can relieve yourself of these drugs :wink:
I'll gladly take your burden :D

Thank you so much David!
THIS exactly is the reason why i am here. Head-fi is a place where people help one another.

Aug 14, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #15,432 of 40,607
When a FLAC file is decompressed, the result is exactly the same as (i.e., identical to) the original (whether CDDA, WAV, AIFF, or low-bitrate MP3.) There are only two differences between WAV and FLAC: The processing time and power to compress to and decompress from the FLAC; and, the space required to store (or transmit) the file.

I understand all of that, but right now I'm playing the same songs in 24/192 (FLAC and WAV). wav wins. It's subtle and my home system is DARN good and with the new Hurricane power cords by Audioquest, I heard even more micro and macro detail. It's just silly to where the system is and now I installed a new EMO ethernet medical filter and even streaming Tidal is better.

FLAC and wav are both darn good. My only point is that if you are using a top desktop solution at home (quiet environment) and a Phantom or X, you will hear the difference most probably. I asked my close friend to do this out of his Hugo2 and Kennerton Odin's (sooooo good). He hears a small difference. I'm just all about the sound quality rather than needing too much of the goodies like album art, lmao...There is a work around though I was told. Im' not a techie, so I don't know. :). It's all good though.

Aug 14, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #15,433 of 40,607

Aaa maybe if once every 5 years that its being released its ok....

Aug 14, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #15,434 of 40,607
Aug 14, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #15,435 of 40,607
I understand all of that, but right now I'm playing the same songs in 24/192 (FLAC and WAV). wav wins.
On that note what are your listening impressions of DSD files ctstooner? Particularly DSD128 & DSD256.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back