emotivas new stealth 8 powered monitors any impressions?
Jun 16, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #77 of 148
  I'm struggling to decide whether I should go for the Stealth 8's or the LS50's since they are around the same price.

Well I can't say anything about the LS50 because I have only heard it in passing at the axpona show. It did sound pretty amazing considering its size. It sounded way bigger than it looks. But being a stealth 8 owner and the one who started this thread. The stealth 8 is a amazing speaker in its own right. But I can't help thinking you are comparing apples and oranges here. The LS50 is apassive design with no onboard amplification. Also the stealth 8 is a active design (with two 200 watt rms amps for the tweeter and woofer) primarily designed for use in a professional environment. After owning this speaker for awhile I am still finding things out about this monitor. It has a almost chameleon like ability to change its sound depending on what is north of it in the chain. I believe that is what a professional monitor is supposed to do it should be neutral in character and not add anything on its own to the sound. Is not that the goal of a professional monitor. I wish I was more affluent because while I am using a vintage audio research ls2 mkII preamp which is not too shabby. It would be nice to hear what the stealth 8s could do with a more modern really top notch preamp.
  I do not know what the low frequency ability of the kef speaker is but the stealth 8 is blessed by a low frequency limit of 30 hz plus or minus 1.75 db. Now that is not only pretty low for a speaker of this size it is also very accurate as well. I have heard some criticism from someone who criticized emotiva on the bass reflex design over a sealed box design like the adam. But the bass on offer is pretty tight with maybe a little of the bass reflex sound but the bass is not sloppy and or loose like what you get with a fair amount of the bass reflex designs. I feel the trade off with the design is well worth it when you hear how powerful and dynamic a sound you get from the stealth 8 and with the amount of bass extension. Plus there is ample adjustment with the adjustment controls on the back of the speaker. I have never heard bass as powerful as the stealths in any sealed box design in a speaker the size of the stealth 8.
  Dollar for dollar the stealth 8 is a tough act to follow for its very modest price. Where else are you going to a active speaker with 400 watts rms per channel for 1500 usd. I haven't seen it plus emotiva gives you a five year warranty. Now that is great deal. But my comment does not suggest that the stealth 8 is any way a cheaply made speaker. The stealth 8 is in fact a ruggedly constructed speaker designed to take the punishment that in a professional environment can sometimes happens.
   I can say this after having active speakers I am never going to go back to passive speakers again. The active designs are just a lot more convenient not having to worry about what amplifier is suitable for the speaker and what speaker wire is suitable to get the best sound. I am sure there is a lot of capability that my stealth 8 has yet to reveal to me.
   I hope the info is helpful to you in making your decision. 

Jun 17, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #78 of 148
Figured I may as we'll chime in seeing as I've owned the stealth 8 speakers for almost a year now. As stated above the bass is something to take into consideration when buying these speakers. I was torn between the 6 and 8 for a while before purchase as I had a totem storm sub which uses a 8" woofer and 2 passive woofers. This made me believe that the 8 was overkill. What changed my mind though was the difference in power. I just didn't want to give up the headroom that the 8 was going to offer. In the end I sold the totem storm and haven't regretted it since. I do listen to a lot of bass dependent music which includes a tonne of psy-trance and dub-step. And these speakers just rock out as soon as I turn anything on, and they just keep going and going no matter how brave you get with the volume control.

I'm using them with an arcam pre at the moment and the only thing right now that would change things for me would be a better dac to interface between the arcam and my PC.

This should give those of you an idea of the ability of these speakers. I was thinking for a while of swapping them for a headphone amp combo but seeing as there aren't to many buyers in canada I may as we'll just keep enjoying them heh.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #79 of 148
Figured I may as we'll chime in seeing as I've owned the stealth 8 speakers for almost a year now. As stated above the bass is something to take into consideration when buying these speakers. I was torn between the 6 and 8 for a while before purchase as I had a totem storm sub which uses a 8" woofer and 2 passive woofers. This made me believe that the 8 was overkill. What changed my mind though was the difference in power. I just didn't want to give up the headroom that the 8 was going to offer. In the end I sold the totem storm and haven't regretted it since. I do listen to a lot of bass dependent music which includes a tonne of psy-trance and dub-step. And these speakers just rock out as soon as I turn anything on, and they just keep going and going no matter how brave you get with the volume control.

I'm using them with an arcam pre at the moment and the only thing right now that would change things for me would be a better dac to interface between the arcam and my PC.

This should give those of you an idea of the ability of these speakers. I was thinking for a while of swapping them for a headphone amp combo but seeing as there aren't to many buyers in canada I may as we'll just keep enjoying them heh.

Touche rock on baby.

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #80 of 148
  You may not need the storm. I am amazed at the amount of body that the stealth 8s produce. I have to say that these speakers take a fair amount of play time before they show their considerable abilities. I do have to add that I have replaced the stock fuses in the speakers with hifi tuning supreme equivalents.  I am also using some aftermarket power cables with them as well. I am using the Teflon jacketed cable pro reverie power cables.
  I have very much become smitten with the stealth 8s. They are by far the most resolute speaker I have ever owned. And I have owned quite a few including a pair of smaller harbeths and a stand mount proac. Neither come close to the stealth 8 in ability.

Hey Buson, I'm still up in the air about the Stealth 6s vs. the Stealth 8s, but either way I'll be getting some of those Hi-Fi Tuning fuses. I've found out that the 6s take a Slo-blo 2A fuse, but I CANNOT find a word anywhere on what the 8s take. Would you be able to tell me what their rated fuse is? Thanks.

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #81 of 148
  Hey Buson, I'm still up in the air about the Stealth 6s vs. the Stealth 8s, but either way I'll be getting some of those Hi-Fi Tuning fuses. I've found out that the 6s take a Slo-blo 2A fuse, but I CANNOT find a word anywhere on what the 8s take. Would you be able to tell me what their rated fuse is? Thanks.

Sorry I took so long to reply but I have been very enamored of my recent purchase of a recapped vintage receiver that sounds unbelievably great with headphones. I checked the fuse this morning and the fuse is a small 4 amp slow blow. I had the original airmotiv sixes before and moved on to the eights. The new airmotiv sixes have had some of the improvements brought forth by the stealth models. I imagine the cabinets changes have improved the sound . If I can remember the new sixes have even tighter specs in the frequency area . But I would like to add the extra 200 watts rms make a pretty large difference in how loud and dynamic things get. I think dollar for dollar the stealth 8s offer more bang for your buck than the stealth 6s. They are really not that much more considering the added low end capability and the additional power.

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #82 of 148
I have been paying attention to this..and the previous QMS MH8 for years. Good to hear Emotiva rebadged it in a much better way.

May 31, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #86 of 148
   Sorry I took so long to reply but I have been very enamored of my recent purchase of a recapped vintage receiver that sounds unbelievably great with headphones. I checked the fuse this morning and the fuse is a small 4 amp slow blow. I had the original airmotiv sixes before and moved on to the eights. The new airmotiv sixes have had some of the improvements brought forth by the stealth models. I imagine the cabinets changes have improved the sound . If I can remember the new sixes have even tighter specs in the frequency area . But I would like to add the extra 200 watts rms make a pretty large difference in how loud and dynamic things get. I think dollar for dollar the stealth 8s offer more bang for your buck than the stealth 6s. They are really not that much more considering the added low end capability and the additional power.

Do you have any recommendation on which fuse to use with the Stealth 8's?

I'm deciding between the Synergistic Research Red Quantum Fuse, Audio Magic Premier Super Fuse, and the Hifi-Tuning Supreme.

May 31, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #87 of 148
  That's good to hear! What do you use to control the volume on yours? The emotiva control freak?

I must apologize I was drunk when I replied. I heard the yggdrasil --- audio research pre-amp --- amp (name I can't remember) --- nice bookshelf speakers. 
I heard my hdva600 and hd800 with it as well and was invited back to hear the 6s but it hasn't happened yet. I feel they would sound great and would probably yield the most detail.

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #88 of 148
i was just on the now merged Emotiva+EmotivaPro website and the Stealth 6 is gone. Looks like the Airmotiv 6S crept up too close on its territory and called into question the price difference. If I was guessing anyway. What I've actually really been waiting on is a Stealth 8 refresh. That's got to be coming, i's been like ~2-3 years since they were released and lot more monitors with ribbon tweeters are on the market now. 

So, here's to hoping for a new Stealth 8 with the same pretty price. And that's excluding the 2 woofer Stealth 8 that there are pictures floating around of.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #89 of 148
  i was just on the now merged Emotiva+EmotivaPro website and the Stealth 6 is gone. Looks like the Airmotiv 6S crept up too close on its territory and called into question the price difference. If I was guessing anyway. What I've actually really been waiting on is a Stealth 8 refresh. That's got to be coming, i's been like ~2-3 years since they were released and lot more monitors with ribbon tweeters are on the market now. 

So, here's to hoping for a new Stealth 8 with the same pretty price. And that's excluding the 2 woofer Stealth 8 that there are pictures floating around of.

Highly doubt the Stealth 8 is going to get refreshed anytime soon when it is doing so well for them.
They finally arrived this week and for the price they truly are a steal!
Can't wait to see how the yggy will sound with them.

Jun 4, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #90 of 148

Highly doubt the Stealth 8 is going to get refreshed anytime soon when it is doing so well for them.
They finally arrived this week and for the price they truly are a steal!
Can't wait to see how the yggy will sound with them.

Welcome to the club. I hope you check out the pm I sent suggesting the emotiva iec power cord for use with your stealth 8s  The power cords are a very worthwhile tweak for your new stealth 8 speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back