emotivas new stealth 8 powered monitors any impressions?
Nov 28, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #106 of 148
So a bit after watching some Netflix there was complete silence for about an hour then the woofer began to make a bass noise and move very fast. When it happened I thought someone was rolling a bowling ball on the floor above me. So I turned the speaker off and when I did I noticed the back of the speaker felt hot along with the heat sink. I felt the back of the other speaker and it was only mildly warm.

Is the amp going bad on me or is static build up of some kind?

I also read about this recently in another guy's system (non-Stealth) and it was a short in the RCA connection feeding the speaker. Try like the other guy said or try a different source and see what happens.

Good luck, I hope it's not the speakers. 

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #107 of 148
It happened to the same speaker when I turned it on. So I turned it off then unplugged the xlr then turned it on again and it still happened. Then I unplugged the power cord and then plugged it back in and it didn't do it again. The power cords and power strip are on a big thick throw rug and the speakers are on stands on hardwood flooring.

Should I buy one of these to see if something funny is going on?

https://emotiva.com/products/accessories/cmx-2

https://emotiva.com/products/accessories/cmx-6

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #108 of 148
It happened to the same speaker when I turned it on. So I turned it off then unplugged the xlr then turned it on again and it still happened. Then I unplugged the power cord and then plugged it back in and it didn't do it again. The power cords and power strip are on a big thick throw rug and the speakers are on stands on hardwood flooring.

Should I buy one of these to see if something funny is going on?

https://emotiva.com/products/accessories/cmx-2

https://emotiva.com/products/accessories/cmx-6

I think I'd start with a new power cord. Maybe the one you've got, or the IEC connection, is bad? Anyway, I'd start there and see if the issue popped up again. There might also be some detector that you could buy to test for the issue before investing in a corrective solution. 

As for the DC offset thing, it is true and does happen, but when why with only one of the 2 speakers? 

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #109 of 148
Stealth 8's up on Isoaccoustics stands

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #110 of 148
After about a week of having the Stealth 8 on Isoacoustic stand I am thoroughly enjoying the combo. Even though the stand are undersized compared to the base of the Stealth 8 I don't feel like there are any instability issues. The unforeseen benefit of having the bases smaller than the speakers is it allows me to tuck some of my audio equipment under the overhang of the speakers and gain back some desktop real estate. It may seem like a minor thing but with speakers this big a lot of people are turned off by their size and this should help allay their fears somewhat. The desk in the pictures above is 60" wide to put things in perspective.

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #111 of 148
  After about a week of having the Stealth 8 on Isoacoustic stand I am thoroughly enjoying the combo. Even though the stand are undersized compared to the base of the Stealth 8 I don't feel like there are any instability issues. The unforeseen benefit of having the bases smaller than the speakers is it allows me to tuck some of my audio equipment under the overhang of the speakers and gain back some desktop real estate. It may seem like a minor thing but with speakers this big a lot of people are turned off by their size and this should help allay their fears somewhat. The desk in the pictures above is 60" wide to put things in perspective.

Good to hear that things have been going well with the new stands. I've got a monitor stand that I use similarly, getting the extra real estate on the desk is always nice.

For min, since the baby I haven't even touched mine until this afternoon. It killed me to look at them sitting there half unpacked for the past 2.5 months, but that's all I could do. I got in about 30mins on them today and found out the room is destroying them. The reflections are washing out the sound quite a bit, the bass is slightly too boomy, but some how lacks body and depth, and the cardboard boxes that they were shipped in just aren't going to cut it as stands anymore. More projects for myself. More dollars. More fun?

Jan 4, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #112 of 148

Good to hear that things have been going well with the new stands. I've got a monitor stand that I use similarly, getting the extra real estate on the desk is always nice.

For min, since the baby I haven't even touched mine until this afternoon. It killed me to look at them sitting there half unpacked for the past 2.5 months, but that's all I could do. I got in about 30mins on them today and found out the room is destroying them. The reflections are washing out the sound quite a bit, the bass is slightly too boomy, but some how lacks body and depth, and the cardboard boxes that they were shipped in just aren't going to cut it as stands anymore. More projects for myself. More dollars. More fun?

I'm probably gonna design a pair or get one of these two. My design will be like the epos but with bigger square tubing like the pangea ones.

http://www.audiolab.com/Epos_ST_15_Speaker_Stand_p/epost15.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Pangea-Audio-DS300-Speaker-Inches/dp/B00GM0CO2O/ref=sr_1_25?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1450894880&sr=1-25&keywords=SPEAKER+STAND&refinements=p_n_material_browse%3A316589011

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #113 of 148
Ordered my set today from Amazon warehouse deals for $560. Condition was marked very good and this paid didn't have any issues listed (ex: some said damaged packaging or slight cosmetic defects on the enclosures) so I'm assuming they were just tried out and return. They should be here Friday.

I'm excited to have my first quality set of home speakers. I've done car audio and headphones, but for home speakers I've only ever had systems such as the Logitech Z5500 and Z2300. Now that I have my own place it's time I move into some real home audio.

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #114 of 148
Ordered my set today from Amazon warehouse deals for $560. Condition was marked very good and this paid didn't have any issues listed (ex: some said damaged packaging or slight cosmetic defects on the enclosures) so I'm assuming they were just tried out and return. They should be here Friday.

I'm excited to have my first quality set of home speakers. I've done car audio and headphones, but for home speakers I've only ever had systems such as the Logitech Z5500 and Z2300. Now that I have my own place it's time I move into some real home audio.

$560 for a pair of Stealth 8s? I hate you right now. I already have a pair but I don't think I could pass on another set at that price. Post some pics when they arrive!

EDIT: I see it was $560 each on the Amazon website. My mistake. Still a great deal though

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #115 of 148
I'm wondering what to do about a stand. I have a nice little three drawer stand to the right of my TV to place one on, but on the other side I have a bookshelf that sits higher up than it does. I also have room between the TV and the bookshelf to put a stand. So either I'd get a really tall stand to match the height of the nightstand on the right, or a small stand to bring the right side's speak up to the height of the one on the left. I'll have to do some listening at both heights and decide which I prefer.

Anyway, could someone recommend some stands that would actually hold these monsters? Most of the stands I find don't have a very large base and I'm fearful of them being knocked off (I have a toddler and a soon to be crawling baby in my house).

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #116 of 148
  I'm wondering what to do about a stand. I have a nice little three drawer stand to the right of my TV to place one on, but on the other side I have a bookshelf that sits higher up than it does. I also have room between the TV and the bookshelf to put a stand. So either I'd get a really tall stand to match the height of the nightstand on the right, or a small stand to bring the right side's speak up to the height of the one on the left. I'll have to do some listening at both heights and decide which I prefer.

Anyway, could someone recommend some stands that would actually hold these monsters? Most of the stands I find don't have a very large base and I'm fearful of them being knocked off (I have a toddler and a soon to be crawling baby in my house).

Read the last ~2 pages in this thread. We've been talking about stands. 

I'm not sure from your description whether you're looking to go with something to add a little height to them and you'll still use the nightstands or if you're going to go full on, purpose built stands. There's talk of both over the past 2 pages though. 

On a side note:

Emotiva released a bunch of new stuff at CES this year. New, passive Airmotiv speakers and 10" and 12" active, Airmotiv subs. After I tame my room issues, whenever in the distant future that'll be, I'll find out if I still need a sub. I was having a great laugh remembering from my initial Stealth 6 inquiry that an Emotiva rep told me they'd be released a new Airmotiv sub really soon in "Q2". That was back in 2012... Hahaha. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #117 of 148
Okay so I made a noob mistake. I thought the order I placed was for a pair of monitors, but after looking through questions on Amazon I discovered they are sold as single units. I know most monitors are, but the product listing says monitors and the description made no mention of it being a single unit. So anyway I quickly placed another order for an amazon wearhouse deals one for $586 that only had packaging damage listed as a defect. Both should be arriving Friday. I'm really glad I caught that, otherwise I would have been very sad to sit with one monitor until Monday. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #118 of 148
  Stealth 8's up on Isoaccoustics stands

you don't actually sit there to listen do you?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #119 of 148
Since I'm designing my I decided to model the speaker so I will have a better chance w/ the aesthetics of the stands design.

I still need to figure out the chamfer/radius thing.

I'll probably share the stand design to anyone who wants it or sell a pair.

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #120 of 148
you don't actually sit there to listen do you? :)

I do infrequently. More often than not, I use them fill the room(s) up with music when we are eating together or when I am cleaning the kitchen. My 6 year old daughter also loves to dance with me in the family room (where my desk is located) so they are the source of music for that.

My HE1000s are my preferred music source of choice while at my desk but the speakers are my preferred source for movies/TV shows at my desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back