emotivas new stealth 8 powered monitors any impressions?
Apr 7, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #136 of 148
I had a chance to listen to the Stealth 8 and they were very impressive, definitely competitive for near field listening with anything in the same price range.

May 22, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #137 of 148
So after repeated problems with one of my speakers I started to audition potential replacements.

I listened to kef ls50, r300 & r500. 

Then I heard dynaudio xeo 4 and excite x18.

A pair of russel k monitors and the theil tm3 which costs 4k

So my end result is that I like the stealth 8s better than all the above mentioned. The soundstage and clarity of the s8 couldn't be matched. 

The closest to the sound signature were the dynaudio excite 18x and theil tm3.

All were powered by my ragnorak except for the dynaudios. Which I am going back to hear w/ it. The others were also heard w/ marantz and audio research amps as well.

May 22, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #138 of 148
So after repeated problems with one of my speakers I started to audition potential replacements.

I listened to kef ls50, r300 & r500. 

Then I heard dynaudio xeo 4 and excite x18.

A pair of russel k monitors and the theil tm3 which costs 4k

So my end result is that I like the stealth 8s better than all the above mentioned. The soundstage and clarity of the s8 couldn't be matched. 

The closest to the sound signature were the dynaudio excite 18x and theil tm3.

All were powered by my ragnorak except for the dynaudios. Which I am going back to hear w/ it. The others were also heard w/ marantz and audio research amps as well.

Sorry for your troubles, but that's music to my ears~~

Unfortunately i bought mine online and never compared anything else, so i don't know how they place and of course there's always that lingering "what about..."

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #139 of 148
   I was browsing the stealth eight and comparable models from other manufacturers and came across one that looked to me to be possibly and even better value that the emotiva.Lets not forget JBL which definitely knows a thing or two about professional sound.I came across a model which costs around the same price actually a hundred dollars more but given the added flexilbilty it looks to me to be an even better
value.The JBL model is the JBL LSR4328P Pak and what makes this model more appealing is the automatic room correction capablity that the JBL has and they even include a mike for the price.With this feature you can tune the speaker to whatever room and or position you have the speaker set for maximum performance.
  I believe the power spec is the same and judging from the other specs it is very similar to the stealth 8.
I had seen a blog about the Qms company before.

Regarding the LSR4328P, you're neglecting one important fact:

Frequency Response+/-1.5 dB: 50 Hz – 20 kHz

The frequency response is nowhere close to the Emotiva in terms of low end extension.

Amplification150 w/ 70 w

Nowhere close to the Emotiva either.

Weight13.1 kg (29 lb)

A full 12 pounds less in materials.

You almost might as well go with the much cheaper LSR308 with the advanced waveguide tweeter (which sounds amazing).

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #140 of 148
  Why are you taking such a fanboi stance over these emotiva speakers?  I am just trying to point out that there are equally good alternatives from other brands.  Having a closed opinion about something and shouting others down is not doing anything other than making you look s little blinded.  Try researching outside this forum and you will find plenty of support for other brands such as K&H Adam Dynaudio KRK Genelec Sonodyne to name but a few and on those sites you will find little to no mention of emotiva's.  There is a reason, and I am just trying to highlight it.  I am sure Emotiva's offer a fine product but I am trying to suggest that nobody should buy blind, or deaf in this case.  Everyone's needs are different and from my researching, which I have done extensively, your money can be spent on other similar products without losing anything.  From the reviews I have found and read emotiva's offer a "flavoured" or "coloured"sound not suitable for music production, where a flat frequency response is required.  I am sure the emotiva's sound just fine for listening or gaming or watching movies but that is not everyones intended use.  The comments made here make these "entry level" nearfield monitors out to be the best thing money can buy and that is simply not the case.

Never spend money without doing your research, that is my message.  Listening for 10mins is better than reading 10 articles.  I am not trying to troll this thread just offer insight to those that may be reading and are looking to buy in the future.  

And to point out the floor in your argument I have had adam A7X for about 18months, prior to that Yamaha monitors and in both cases have not needed after sales support once.  But in both cases I know it was available locally through an authorised dealer.

Disclaimer:
This is not meant as an attack, but rather as needing to put someone (who is near-trolling this thread and then trying to pawn it off as being sincerely concerned) in their place.
Also, I am not an Emotiva 'fan', per se. I only own two of their products: Stealth DC-1 and XPS-1.

What I AM a fan of is well engineered gear that comes with a reasonable pricetag, and I don't like when people bash something good without good reasons.

Ok, let's start!

Tablix, read the title of the thread:

emotivas new stealth 8

The only context other manufacturers and speakers should have in this thread is in deference to the above -- in terms of price, sound, and spec.

You yourself are guilty of being the very fanboi you scold others on here of being when it comes to the Adam brand. You keep bringing them up. I've heard the A7X -- they sound very good but nothing that stood out significantly from the others I demo'd that day. All of the 8" monitors had deeper, more natural low end (as one would expect).

There are all sorts of things wrong with your post. How exactly can you define "equally good alternatives"? Do you have another speaker for a similar price with a similarly flat sound and low end extension? Stop insinuating without substantiating.

This thread is for information on the Emotiva Stealth 8, so why do you seem to feel the need to only direct interest into other brands? I'm pretty sure everyone here is aware that Emotiva isn't the only manufacturer out there.

". . .you will find little to no mention of emotiva's.  There is a reason. . ."

You failed to highlight any specific reason, but I'll tell you the reason that was already mentioned to you and that you should already know for yourself -- Emotiva is an internet direct only company and does not have a store presence anywhere. They are naturally going to be a lesser known brand. The Stealth 8 is relatively new and priced too high for most commoners to consider (not even Z Reviews has covered them) . Plenty of people do know about their Airmotiv line, or do you not realize that?

" From the reviews I have found and read emotiva's offer a "flavoured" or "coloured"sound not suitable for music production, where a flat frequency response is required.  I am sure the emotiva's sound just fine for listening or gaming or watching movies but that is not everyones intended use.  The comments made here make these "entry level" nearfield monitors out to be the best thing money can buy and that is simply not the case."

Here it is clear that you have an agenda against Emotiva and that you are fishing for any reasons not to like them -- even making things up! For instance, anyone can go to the Emotiva site and view the plot graphs and will see that they are remarkably flat down to around 40 hz. You're going to have to substantiate the 'flavor / color' that you describe, since you admit that you haven't even heard them yourself. You also flashed "entry level" in double quotes, which is puzzling -- your tone suggests you believe them to BE entry level, but your use of those quotes would imply an ironic twist, or that you don't believe it to be the case. So, which is it?

The essence of what I'm getting at is that you are a bane on this forum and you are not helpful at all. You frequently make claims and sweeping statements without offering specifics to justify or substantiate them. Why even bother? Unless you don't want there to be something better sounding and better value than the decision YOU made? So, what, that means your recourse is to hint at alternatives that cost way more money and probably don't sound any better?

LOL

Genelec? Seriously? Almost $5000 for a set of 10" monitors that still doesn't hit the 30hz claim of the Emotiva. Try again.

Even the Event Opal is twice as expensive and still not rated down to the same low end extension as the Emotiva.

Can you actually name anything with the frequency response and price point that Emotiva offers?

Otherwise, please take your Adam 'fanboi'dom and your drivel elsewhere.

Jul 21, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #141 of 148

Disclaimer:
This is not meant as an attack, but rather as needing to put someone (who is near-trolling this thread and then trying to pawn it off as being sincerely concerned) in their place.
Also, I am not an Emotiva 'fan', per se. I only own two of their products: Stealth DC-1 and XPS-1.

What I AM a fan of is well engineered gear that comes with a reasonable pricetag, and I don't like when people bash something good without good reasons.

Ok, let's start!

Tablix, read the title of the thread:

emotivas new stealth 8

The only context other manufacturers and speakers should have in this thread is in deference to the above -- in terms of price, sound, and spec.

You yourself are guilty of being the very fanboi you scold others on here of being when it comes to the Adam brand. You keep bringing them up. I've heard the A7X -- they sound very good but nothing that stood out significantly from the others I demo'd that day. All of the 8" monitors had deeper, more natural low end (as one would expect).

There are all sorts of things wrong with your post. How exactly can you define "equally good alternatives"? Do you have another speaker for a similar price with a similarly flat sound and low end extension? Stop insinuating without substantiating.

This thread is for information on the Emotiva Stealth 8, so why do you seem to feel the need to only direct interest into other brands? I'm pretty sure everyone here is aware that Emotiva isn't the only manufacturer out there.

". . .you will find little to no mention of emotiva's.  There is a reason. . ."

You failed to highlight any specific reason, but I'll tell you the reason that was already mentioned to you and that you should already know for yourself -- Emotiva is an internet direct only company and does not have a store presence anywhere. They are naturally going to be a lesser known brand. The Stealth 8 is relatively new and priced too high for most commoners to consider (not even Z Reviews has covered them) . Plenty of people do know about their Airmotiv line, or do you not realize that?

" From the reviews I have found and read emotiva's offer a "flavoured" or "coloured"sound not suitable for music production, where a flat frequency response is required.  I am sure the emotiva's sound just fine for listening or gaming or watching movies but that is not everyones intended use.  The comments made here make these "entry level" nearfield monitors out to be the best thing money can buy and that is simply not the case."

Here it is clear that you have an agenda against Emotiva and that you are fishing for any reasons not to like them -- even making things up! For instance, anyone can go to the Emotiva site and view the plot graphs and will see that they are remarkably flat down to around 40 hz. You're going to have to substantiate the 'flavor / color' that you describe, since you admit that you haven't even heard them yourself. You also flashed "entry level" in double quotes, which is puzzling -- your tone suggests you believe them to BE entry level, but your use of those quotes would imply an ironic twist, or that you don't believe it to be the case. So, which is it?

The essence of what I'm getting at is that you are a bane on this forum and you are not helpful at all. You frequently make claims and sweeping statements without offering specifics to justify or substantiate them. Why even bother? Unless you don't want there to be something better sounding and better value than the decision YOU made? So, what, that means your recourse is to hint at alternatives that cost way more money and probably don't sound any better?

LOL

Genelec? Seriously? Almost $5000 for a set of 10" monitors that still doesn't hit the 30hz claim of the Emotiva. Try again.

Even the Event Opal is twice as expensive and still not rated down to the same low end extension as the Emotiva.

Can you actually name anything with the frequency response and price point that Emotiva offers?

Otherwise, please take your Adam 'fanboi'dom and your drivel elsewhere.

No offense intended but you do realize you are responding to a post that happened over 900 days ago :wink:

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #142 of 148
So, I'm starting to think about painting the Stealth 8s. I've seen a few pairs of MDF near field monitors painted a gloss red, while keeping the drivers their standard black colour, and they looked pretty awesome.

I figure if I did do it I'd take them all apart and it'd give me a chance to "upgrade" anything I figure I find wanting inside at the same time.

What are your guys'thoughts on painting the Stealth 8s a different colour? And if you did, what colour?

Then what about potential upgrades inside? I think on the EmotivaPro site you can see an internal shot of the amp and some of the cabinet/foam. Any ideas?

Jul 22, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #143 of 148
I like red or sunset orange myself.

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #145 of 148
Here's an odd story:

So I get back home and cut on my stealth 8. It won't cut on because the fuse is blown. It turns out it had a F500maL250v in it. So it's been running off of a fast blow 500ma fuse this entire time?!? I decided to swap in a F1AL250v until I can get the correct T4L250v slow blow 4 amp fuse. Well it doesn't work with the F1AL. Very interesting...I have had these speakers since September and the 500ma fuse has worked but it won't even power on with the 1A fuse. I put in the T4L from the other speaker so I know its a fuse issue but that is pretty odd. What do you guys think?

Jul 24, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #146 of 148
Here's an odd story:

So I get back home and cut on my stealth 8. It won't cut on because the fuse is blown. It turns out it had a F500maL250v in it. So it's been running off of a fast blow 500ma fuse this entire time?!? I decided to swap in a F1AL250v until I can get the correct T4L250v slow blow 4 amp fuse. Well it doesn't work with the F1AL. Very interesting...I have had these speakers since September and the 500ma fuse has worked but it won't even power on with the 1A fuse. I put in the T4L from the other speaker so I know its a fuse issue but that is pretty odd. What do you guys think?

I think I'm gonna check my fuses... That is super odd, I hope you get themback in action soonand all is well

Aug 9, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #147 of 148
My 4A should be here tomorrow. I ran across the 1A fuses that came with the speakers that are meant to be used with 220v power. I popped one in and it works. The label on the fuse is T1L250V.

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #148 of 148
I have a set of Stealth 8's alongside a pair of JBL SLR308's. I got the JBL's because I love the imaging of their waveguide tweeter design.

The Stealths deliver the bass, though and the JBL's sound thin by comparison, but together they absolutely rock!

I have a pair of SVS PC13Ultras nearby, as well, but with the amount of low end this setup throws out, I don't miss or need them. The only real benefit of the SVS's would be to eliminate the nulls in the room. And no, I'm not selling them! I have future plans...

All I know, is when I have another $1300 lying around, I wouldn't think twice about ordering another set of Stealth 8's for a doubly killer sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back