emotivas new stealth 8 powered monitors any impressions?
Dec 22, 2012 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 148

buson160man

1000+ Head-Fier
 I was browsing the emotiva pro website today and I came across their new model.The stealth 8 is a upmarket offering for emotiva.With This new model looks like emotiva is raising the bar for its powered monitors.The new model is 750 usd each.The new model is larger and has a eight inch woofer that goes along with their folded ribbon tweeter.The power on offer is a very substantial 400 watts rms(tweeter 200 and woofer 200) per speaker.This one will probably really rock.The low frequency figure is stated down to 30hz plus or minus 1.75 db.
  If anyone has heard one any impressions would be appreciated.I have a emotiva activ5 which works pretty well in a desk top situation but the stealth 8 looks like it is definitely a step up from the 5 let alone the activ6 which I was thinking about getting next year if my finances allowed it but now that they have raised the bar I am curious about this new offering and I may with a little sacrificing spring for the better model.That 30 hz lower end would really be tempting to use in my two channel home theater set up.
  So if anyone has bought a pair let me know what you think of them?

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 148
While I have not had the chance to listen to these I would personally rather invest my money in Adam monitors for almost exactly the same money.  The Adam A8X should retail at the same price and I was VERY impressed with the A7 when I demo's them.  They may not match the specs exactly but Adams:-
  1. Frequency response: 38 Hz - 50 kHz
  2. THD 90dB/1m > 100 Hz ?0.5 %
  3. Woofer Amp. power RMS / music: 150 W / 225 W
  4. Tweeter Amp. power RMS / music: 50 W / 75 W

Is pretty impressive and may be worth investigating.

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 148
Quote:
Have the airmotiv 4's and also curious about how the stealth 8s sound, especially in comparison to the kef ls50 and the comparably priced adam speakers.

I have the airmotiv 5s and they work pretty well as a desk top speaker.I doubt I could get anything larger that would have fit on my desk top.
Oh by the way if i may be so bold but I purchased a pair of emotivas 6 foot iec power cables and I am using them with the airmotiv 5s and I got a sizeable improvement in the 5s sonic performance.You may want to check out a pair because emotiva has a sale on the power cables till january 15 ,2013.They normally go for about 70 dollars right now they have 6 foot cables for about 56 dollars.So it might be a good time to check them out and save some money on a pair of cords.I am sure you will be happy with the results if you spring for them.Just thought it might help to get the best out of your airmotiv 4s and save a bit of money.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 148
I had the 6s and they were the best bang for your buck speaker I've ever heard. 

I've really been wanting to hear the 8s as I could see them being even better, and that's hard to believe.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 148
Having stumbled onto this thread, It took me way too long to find a link, so here it is (for the next guy who is as slow as me.)   
biggrin.gif

http://emotivapro.com/

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 148
They're extremely new...and quite large for smaller bedroom and studio applications. I'm not surprised. 

Quote:
The fact that these have their own built in amplification and such awesome bass extension, very tempting...haven't found any reviews on them yet though. 
confused_face.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #9 of 148
Quote:
They're extremely new...and quite large for smaller bedroom and studio applications. I'm not surprised. 

true true. Based on the experience I've had with emotiva in the past (excellent excellent) and that the airmotiv 4s sound awesome for the price, I have faith these are probably wicked, might jump on em, hmm. Wondering if I should get these as an upgrade over my airmotiv 4s for my working out rig or put that money toward saving for a pwd mkii, m51, invicta, etc. for my future lcd3 rig.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 148
Side Bar: The PWD didn't wow me at all when I had it in my home for a few weeks recently. Be very careful if you're buying blind.

Consider this...Once you settle with a pair of powered speakers you're pretty much done. You can run these without a sub with no problems as they extend plenty low...Then run you can your balanced outs on whatever DAC you get right into them and run SE to your headphone rig. Or vice versa of course.

They will scale up with a better DAC, too.

Quote:
true true. Based on the experience I've had with emotiva in the past (excellent excellent) and that the airmotiv 4s sound awesome for the price, I have faith these are probably wicked, might jump on em, hmm. Wondering if I should get these as an upgrade over my airmotiv 4s for my working out rig or put that money toward saving for a pwd mkii, m51, invicta, etc. for my future lcd3 rig.

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #11 of 148
Quote:
Side Bar: The PWD didn't wow me at all when I had it in my home for a few weeks recently. Be very careful if you're buying blind.

Consider this...Once you settle with a pair of powered speakers you're pretty much done. You can run these without a sub with no problems as they extend plenty low...Then run you can your balanced outs on whatever DAC you get right into them and run SE to your headphone rig. Or vice versa of course.

They will scale up with a better DAC, too.

Why didn't you like the pwd?

Jan 13, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #12 of 148
Hi,

Having stumbled onto this thread, It took me way too long to find a link, so here it is (for the next guy who is as slow as me.)   
biggrin.gif

http://emotivapro.com/products/powered_monitors/stealth8.php

These look nice. They have a ribbon tweeter just like my SD-1's. Not much can match these, not even the Dynaudio Esosomething Tweeter...

Only question - how good are the amplifiers build in?

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #13 of 148
I will say again look into Adam active monitors, similar price, similar design and a brand that is more likely to to give you ongoing support should you require it.... Adams also have XLR or RCA connection and are much easier to source in any global location.  You may pay a slight premium of $20 more but you can pick up a selection of matching subs that are designed to work with these, also available in 5" 7" or 8".

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #14 of 148
Quote:
I will say again look into Adam active monitors, similar price, similar design and a brand that is more likely to to give you ongoing support should you require it.... Adams also have XLR or RCA connection and are much easier to source in any global location.  You may pay a slight premium of $20 more but you can pick up a selection of matching subs that are designed to work with these, also available in 5" 7" or 8".

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products

Have you heard the stealth 8s?

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #15 of 148
Hi,

I had a look. Do you mean the Adam A8X?  I read it is supposed to be a german company? I don't know, at least on looks the Adam looks like cheap china made stuff, these cheap plastic ports, shiney plastic cones and controls and all.

The Emotiva look much nicer and more solidly build. It also has more power, not sure if that matters.

Has anyone listened?

Cheers Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back