Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Sep 14, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #856 of 903
Hi, everyone....

I do sympathize with the situation this DC-1 user has found himself in, and I think it does rate an explanation.

The DC-1 is a very complex product and, as with many complex modern products, some of the parts are very specific to that unit (they were either manufactured custom for it, or were only produced for a very limited amount of time). As most manufacturers do, we make an attempt to figure out in advance what may go wrong, and to stock sufficient spares to cover any problems that may occur during the life of the product. However, sometimes, when it comes to special parts, we fall a bit short. (And, unfortunately, because they're special or no longer available, it's not just a matter of "ordering a few more spares".)

As it turns out, the majority of the (few) problems we've had with the DC-1 have usually turned out to be failures of components like power supply regulators, for which we have spares, or which are still available, and we keep a few complete factory renewed units available we can swap for the defective one for those situations where that is not the case.

As for the warranty.... While we regret the situation this particular customer has ended up in, as a few people have already noted, this is why we offer an excellent warranty on our products. If his DC-1 was under warranty, and we found ourselves unable to repair it, he would have found himself with a working factory-renewed replacement unit at no cost. If we were unable to provide one, he would have been offered some sort of credit towards a replacement unit. (As it was, the DC-1 still sells for $499, and we have offered him a factory renewed replacement at a cost that is far below that, even if you count the diagnostic fee as part of the cost...)

Not to sound mean, but this is why you pay $499 or $599 for a new unit rather than significantly less for a used one; and why you make sure that, if you purchase a used unit, you get a proper warranty with it. That's the extra value you get for buying a new unit. (Not all products offer long warranties, or allow their warranty to be transferred.) Unfortunately, one of the drawbacks of offering a really good warranty is that we're forced to give preferential treatment to those who have a warranty.

As for the repair fees.... I think you will find that those are essentially the same as you will pay at any qualified repair facility for a non-warranty repair (including those that repair stereo equipment and your local garage). The initial $100 fee is considered to be a "diagnostic fee", which is typically credited against the total repair cost - if the repair is performed, but is not refundable if the customer chooses NOT to have the repair performed.

I've owned many emotiva products and haven't had any issues at all. I never really considered having to send it back for repairs, but this is very disappointing to hear.

@KeithEmo is this how much out of warranty repairs end up costing?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #857 of 903
That does suck. I've found Emotiva's customer service a big hit and miss. I did detail this a few years back here about my DC-1 problem. Zero problem the first time with Mini-x-a-100 purchase.

Regarding their quality inspection, I have serious doubts. Perhaps it's improved now.

LOL with time it's gotten easier to laugh at the situation. I bought the DC-1 used directly from Emotiva so it came with full warranty and it was supposed to go through inspection. I did notice around the time 3-4 customers had returned their DC-1 problems because of the asynchronous mode noise problem on one channel (left in their case as well). So I call them up and wrote emails to them to check for this particular thing in advance before shipping it out. I had a strong feeling that I might be getting those same units that those customers had just returned. So I did their job and informed them of the potential problem in advance before shipping.

I get it and the noise is there from the first second in async mode!!!

I told them what to look out for and yet they didn't. After that, I wrote and called them back multiple times and kept getting hitting brick walls with customer service. Forget offering to pay for shipping, they wouldn't even allow for a return to factory. Kept making up B.S. reasons.

So, I have been stuck in sync mode. I just hope this unit can last me. I don't want to deal with Emotiva's customer service ever again if I can avoid it! I know I won't be purchasing Emotiva ever again. It's a shame considering they make decent mid grade stuff at very reasonable prices with perfect feature sets.

Certainly, nowhere near the positive experience i've had with other audio companies no matter what I bought from them.

To this day, this eats at me. It left such a bad taste in my mouth. I really want it fixed. Great product but what a way to lose a customer who went out of his way to try and mitigate a problem in advance and only to be ignored once the sale was done.

Sep 16, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #858 of 903
I don't understand the point of paying IN ADVANCE for a diagnosis and repair if no attempt to repair is made. If I knew that Emotiva did not have all replaceable parts on hand for this item I never would have sent it in and paid $100.

It seems strange that an attempt to fix it wasn't made. I would have liked to have known that some, in this case, important parts were not available anymore, and that they would be a little more upfront about the diagnosis. It seems to me like either a power supply issue (which they can't replace according to Keith??!?!?) and/or a software issue. Would be nice if they tried to reboot it, or at least let me know what they tried to do during the "hours" long diagnosis, which took 3 weeks.

It's a shame for a few reasons. Mainly because I really dig the sound of this component in my system.

Seems logical to assume that when we send an item in to the company that makes it for a repair, it will be repaired and in service again for a long time.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #859 of 903
Guess the part I don't get is why not take advantage of $100 + $200 = $300 to Emotiva and get a replacement unit! That's less than most of us paid originally.

I do get you paid someone else $365 - though that amount is kind of a non-issue since it was several persons removed from the original Emotiva sale. Also get the person who originally purchased the unit from won't even reply to you.

What you may want to consider is which (if any) dac for $300 is going to be better in your system than the DC-1. A dual differential mono unit, toroidal power supply, digitally controlled analog ladder volume control with balanced xlr outputs vs. a newer dac running later decoder(s) software. You've owned and listened to an actual DC-1 so are able to discern the validity of the common, 'Emotiva is good for a mid-fi unit' refrain.

I originally purchased a DC-1 as a stop gap temporary place holder. In my bi-amped system the xlr outputs to a dual channel pro amp for subs, and the single ended output goes to a tube/transformer amp with an internal pllxo for the top end. Great control with minimal coloration for the speaker system - and year's later it is still in that place holder position.

The top end integrated amp has multiple inputs, so it switches to full range less the crossover for cans. Then the DC-1's clean topology becomes very apparent so changes like using the Audirvina+ 3.1 software are immediately noticeable.

I get that the overall cost hurts, but hopefully you will get back to the sound that makes you happy.

Well..... I am torn about posting this, but things have been pretty frustrating regarding this.
Emotiva has been upfront, but very cold and inflexible.
Here is the response. Keep in mind I spent $365 shipped, 2 years ago.
Than I gave emotive $100. They charge this to those that don't have the original proof of sale. The original owner returned none of my emails, so I figured they could fix their own product.
I told them that there was no digital signal going in, and that the DC-1 was freezing up. They kept saying "we've never heard of that problem". So I took a chance and paid them the $100. I didn't realize I'd be doing something akin to gambling.
Here is the response.

"After several hours of working on your unit our technicians have determined that is it unable to be repaired. The unit did not pass any AP testings, there were no digital inputs, and several parts would have to be replaced, some of which are no longer available. We are able to send you a replacement working unit in lieu of repair. The total for this non-warranty replacement would be an additional $200. Please let us know if you want to proceed with getting a working unit, or have us send you the original unit back."

That puts the total cost at $665 all in, to continue life with a Stealth DAC from emotiva....

I am angry. 1st world problem, yes, but like most of us, I'm not swimming in money either.

I guess they told me..

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #860 of 903
Moral of the story...

Purchase the unit new, keep receipt. Get warranted repair or replacement for a full five years.

Sep 17, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #861 of 903
Yeah. I heard those voices in my head loud and clear! Especially when the original owner was nowhere to be found, and I sent that $100. Still there is some grey area here that isn't sitting well. I have yet to find out if the new unit would be under warranty. I've also learned not to assume anything.

Sep 17, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #862 of 903
I have had my DC-1 for over 3 1/2 years and is has been great. My brother had a warranty service issue for his Emotiva amp. He sent it and they promptly replaced the unit. He was quite pleased with their service. He would have preferred not to have an issue, but it was handled well.

I would imagine if you got the replace unit it would have a new 5 year warranty for you. However I would still check. You are right to not assume.

If you had the receipt from the original owner you would have been good. They would have repaired or replaced, no $100.00, no problems.

Most companies do not transfer warranties beyond the original owner. One of my favorite companies, Schitt for example.

That is the gamble buying used. You save money in the beginning, with no idea on whether it will save money in the long run.

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #864 of 903
Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #866 of 903
To be candid, this is the way most electronic and automotive repair facilities handle out-of-warranty and non-warranty repairs. They charge a "diagnostic fee" for their time in diagnosing the problem. In general, if the customer elects to go forward with the repair, that fee is then credited to the cost of the repair. Otherwise it is considered to be fair payment for the labor costs of diagnosing and troubleshooting the problem.

Many of the parts for the DC-1 are still available, and many times we can repair even out-of-warranty units for a favorable price. However, when that turns out to not be the case, we are forced to give preference to OUR customers (those who purchased the unit from us and have a warranty).

I don't understand the point of paying IN ADVANCE for a diagnosis and repair if no attempt to repair is made. If I knew that Emotiva did not have all replaceable parts on hand for this item I never would have sent it in and paid $100.

It seems strange that an attempt to fix it wasn't made. I would have liked to have known that some, in this case, important parts were not available anymore, and that they would be a little more upfront about the diagnosis. It seems to me like either a power supply issue (which they can't replace according to Keith??!?!?) and/or a software issue. Would be nice if they tried to reboot it, or at least let me know what they tried to do during the "hours" long diagnosis, which took 3 weeks.

It's a shame for a few reasons. Mainly because I really dig the sound of this component in my system.

Seems logical to assume that when we send an item in to the company that makes it for a repair, it will be repaired and in service again for a long time.

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #868 of 903
The original unit came with a five year warranty - which was transferable.
Either the original owner was lazy (or they weren't the original owner either).
The factory-renewed replacement unit would have come with a shorter warranty (which is stated in the terms of the sale).

Yeah. I heard those voices in my head loud and clear! Especially when the original owner was nowhere to be found, and I sent that $100. Still there is some grey area here that isn't sitting well. I have yet to find out if the new unit would be under warranty. I've also learned not to assume anything.

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #869 of 903
Even when we check units, problems can get missed.....

We did in fact have a handful of units that went out with a faulty ASRC (which caused strange noises - but ONLY in asynch mode).
(Note that the USB input on the DC-1 is ALWAYS asynch USB; "asynch mode" refers to having the ASRC enabled for all inputs.)

Any unit with that specific problem reported should have been repaired.
But, since we usually do ask the customer to do a bit of troubleshooting to confirm the problem, I can only assume that there was some doubt about the actual problem (or other unusual circumstances).

I suggest you call in, and perhaps we can find out what happened. (Ask for me.... Keith.)

That does suck. I've found Emotiva's customer service a big hit and miss. I did detail this a few years back here about my DC-1 problem. Zero problem the first time with Mini-x-a-100 purchase.

Regarding their quality inspection, I have serious doubts. Perhaps it's improved now.

LOL with time it's gotten easier to laugh at the situation. I bought the DC-1 used directly from Emotiva so it came with full warranty and it was supposed to go through inspection. I did notice around the time 3-4 customers had returned their DC-1 problems because of the asynchronous mode noise problem on one channel (left in their case as well). So I call them up and wrote emails to them to check for this particular thing in advance before shipping it out. I had a strong feeling that I might be getting those same units that those customers had just returned. So I did their job and informed them of the potential problem in advance before shipping.

I get it and the noise is there from the first second in async mode!!!

I told them what to look out for and yet they didn't. After that, I wrote and called them back multiple times and kept getting hitting brick walls with customer service. Forget offering to pay for shipping, they wouldn't even allow for a return to factory. Kept making up B.S. reasons.

So, I have been stuck in sync mode. I just hope this unit can last me. I don't want to deal with Emotiva's customer service ever again if I can avoid it! I know I won't be purchasing Emotiva ever again. It's a shame considering they make decent mid grade stuff at very reasonable prices with perfect feature sets.

Certainly, nowhere near the positive experience i've had with other audio companies no matter what I bought from them.

To this day, this eats at me. It left such a bad taste in my mouth. I really want it fixed. Great product but what a way to lose a customer who went out of his way to try and mitigate a problem in advance and only to be ignored once the sale was done.

Sep 18, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #870 of 903
There will be a new unit entering our lineup - the DC-2.
The DC-2 will replace the DC-1, and includes several new features which customers have often requested for the DC-1.
(PCM up to 384k, DSDx1 and DSDx2, and a subwoofer output - among others.)
That's cool. You could consider adding bluetooth so it becomes relevant in the wireless revolution we all seem to be moving toward

Users who are viewing this thread

Back