Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Dec 7, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #886 of 903
Plate is attached with two small screws, then the back slides out.

https://emotiva.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/stealth_DC-1_user_v15.pdf

Page 13
Stealth DC-1 Stereo D/A Converter - Operator’s Manual
Hardware Configuration
Inserting or changing batteries in the remote control
The Stealth DC-1 remote control is opened by removing the two small screws in the
bottom end cap (the end without the LED).
Once the screws are removed, the end cap will come off, freeing the back plate to slide
out. Carefully slide the back plate all of the way out and remove it.
Insert two AAA batteries into the battery holder - observing proper polarit
y.
(We recommend alkaline batteries.)
Replace the cover, being careful to engage the edges in the slots in the side pieces, and
keep the end with the rubber pads towards the battery holder.
Replace the end cap and the screws.
Note: The remote control ships with batteries installed, but with a small
insulator strip between the batteries and battery terminal to prevent
discharge during shipping. Before using the remote control for the first time,
you must open the remote control and remove (pull out) the small insulator
strip between the end of one of the batteries and the battery terminal.
Note: The screws securing the end cap of the Stealth DC-1 remote control are
tiny. A screw driver of the correct size is included with your DC-1

Thanks. Actually I read the manual and opened up the end cap. My problem is the inner back plate does not ‘slide out’ as indicated in the manual. I attached a pic above. Could you shed some light on what should I do? Thx a lot!

Dec 7, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #887 of 903
Thanks. Actually I read the manual and opened up the end cap. My problem is the inner back plate does not ‘slide out’ as indicated in the manual. I attached a pic above. Could you shed some light on what should I do? Thx a lot!
Must just be tight, no tricks to it, it should just pull straight out the bottom.

Dec 8, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #888 of 903
For the first time i heard distortion from my audio chain. Here is the 'Bass i love you' track i tried. When i played it through DC1 > JBL LSR305 and DC1 > XXX Headphone amp > Headphones it distorts like crazy

But if i run the same track with my m9xx as DAC, there is no distortion. If anyone can give it a try on their DC1 and report back, i'd appreciate it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwGS92F7YA7rZUxrdE9zRW16WG8/view

Dec 9, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #889 of 903
Does anyone know if the DC-1 can be controlled by an LG Magic Remote? If you own a DC-1 and an LG TV with Magic Remote, I would be very grateful if you could verify whether any of the other manufacturer's remote options works to control the DC-1.

Feb 25, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #890 of 903
Hi guys, I've had a couple issues with my DC1. I bought mine in 2013 and over a year ago it had display issues and Emotiva found a loose ribbon connector and failing usb IC. They seated the ribbon connector and replaced the CM6631A IC.
Now I just found it with the display off and it was not connecting to my computer. Despite that it was warm from being on and relay was clicking when turned on from the rear power switch, I opened it up and replaced the power fuse. It now has a working display although it seems like one line of text is brighter than the other. It doesn't connect to the computer and doesn't respond to the remote. It never leaves my desk and was never dropped etc.
I've contacted Emotiva customer service for help.
I question the reliability of the DC1 and wondering if anyone else has had any issues.
Thanks

Feb 25, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #892 of 903
I'm on my second. Be thankful you're still under warranty. Mine stopped accepting data and the display froze after about 30 seconds, so I had a brick. Sent it in and they couldn't fix it. Went through some back and forth to get a replacement. Wasn't cheap for me, and honestly probably not for them either. Disclaimer. It always got a lot of use. Not many reports of other problems out there. Seems as solid as any other in its range. I'm still a fan.

Feb 25, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #893 of 903
Hi guys, I've had a couple issues with my DC1. I bought mine in 2013 and over a year ago it had display issues and Emotiva found a loose ribbon connector and failing usb IC. They seated the ribbon connector and replaced the CM6631A IC.
Now I just found it with the display off and it was not connecting to my computer. Despite that it was warm from being on and relay was clicking when turned on from the rear power switch, I opened it up and replaced the power fuse. It now has a working display although it seems like one line of text is brighter than the other. It doesn't connect to the computer and doesn't respond to the remote. It never leaves my desk and was never dropped etc.
I've contacted Emotiva customer service for help.
I question the reliability of the DC1 and wondering if anyone else has had any issues.
Thanks

I'm on my second. Be thankful you're still under warranty. Mine stopped accepting data and the display froze after about 30 seconds, so I had a brick. Sent it in and they couldn't fix it. Went through some back and forth to get a replacement. Wasn't cheap for me, and honestly probably not for them either. Disclaimer. It always got a lot of use. Not many reports of other problems out there. Seems as solid as any other in its range. I'm still a fan.

Amir at ASR ran the measurements and did the internal inspection of my personal DC-1, purchased 6/10/2015
Although the numbers looked very respectable the internal build left quite a bit to be desired.
I haven't had any problems with it but glad for the warranty as a look inside didn't build a lot of confidence for the long term. :frowning2:
Take a look for yourself,
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/teardown-of-the-emotiva-dc-1-dac.2310/
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...surement-and-review-of-emotiva-dc-1-dac.2306/

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #894 of 903
I have had my DC-1 since 2014 and it has worked flawlessly. Been used in a couple different setups. Taken it to a couple of headphone meets and back with no problems. Built like a tank.

As far as the information from ASR. They did not like my Schiit either so I think I will take their reviews with a grain of salt...

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #895 of 903
I have had my DC-1 since 2014 and it has worked flawlessly. Been used in a couple different setups. Taken it to a couple of headphone meets and back with no problems. Built like a tank.
So has mine, as I already mentioned. I like it very much and see no reason to ever replace it unless it should fail. Most things do sooner or later.
"Built like a tank", In some ways yes, in others not exactly. Look at the photos.

As far as the information from ASR. They did not like my Schiit either so I think I will take their reviews with a grain of salt...
Well here's the deal, the Emo DC-1 measured quite well, the Schitt DACs not so well. The numbers don't lie and haven't been fudged, so sorry if the results upset you.
The problematic soldering and pinched AC mains wires on MY DC-1 didn't thrill me either, but we can't blame ASR for that either, the photographs don't lie.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #896 of 903
Not upset. Not blaming anybody. And I would confidently recommend the DC-1.

Yes, I read his article and saw the photos on the DC-1 also. Not surprised it "measured" well, as it is a quality unit. Also, I would not base all DC-1's on one unit. That said I have not taken mine apart. Sorry if you got a bad unit. Mine works and sounds just as expected.

As far as ASR's results on the Schiit DACs, that has been debated to death elsewhere. For me a glitch I cannot hear is not a problem.

Feb 26, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #897 of 903
You can do worse than this dac, but I think you can also do better for around $900-1000 or so. It’s all subtle and as far as I’m concerned when all frequencies are well represented and instrument separation is good, I have no problem being engaged in the music. There’s always something better (different)

Oct 10, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #898 of 903
Old thread, I know, but I have a question.

I have an opportunity to buy this old DAC for the equivalent of around $350. The guy says it negotiable, so I think he would go down to $300.

Is that a good deal?

Also is there a point buying a 10 year old DAC in 2023? Or has the DAC technology moved ahead so much that it is a waste of money and there is no point in buying old DACs in general?

At the moment I have Topping D50 DAC. It's newer than Emotiva, but probably not as good. Also DC-1 has much more features than my D50. And also it would look good together with my Emotiva BasX A-100 amp. So those are my reasons. Would I be better off investing the $300 in a newer DAC?

What do you think?

Oct 10, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #899 of 903
Old thread, I know, but I have a question.
The DC-1 was a great DAC/Headphone amp. I've been using mine for many years now,
since I bought it new. Sonicaly it will compete on even ground with anything you can buy today.
That said $300 - 350? Way too high. Thats very close to what you could buy one for new when still available
I'd say if it's in near mint condition it may be worth $200 at the most. You do have to consider
its age.
As you said there are others you can buy new with a warranty for the same money.

Wave a $150 cash under his nose and say "no more". :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #900 of 903
The DC-1 was a great DAC/Headphone amp. I've been using mine for many years now,
since I bought it new. Sonicaly it will compete on even ground with anything you can buy today.
That said $300 - 350? Way too high. Thats very close to what you could buy one for new when still available
I'd say if it's in near mint condition it may be worth $200 at the most. You do have to consider
its age.
As you said there are others you can buy new with a warranty for the same money.

Wave a $150 cash under his nose and say "no more". :wink:
Thank you!

However, please keep in mind that they were more expensive in Europe than in US when they were new. So the used value is probably higher too. We need to pay additional sales taxes here on all items we purchase. I very much doubt he would want to sell for half the money he advertised it for. I'll try to low ball him though and see what he says.

However, I keep thinking that buying a 10 year old DAC might not be the wisest move. I tend to keep my gear for a long time too, so it in a few years time I'd have a 15 year old DAC in my system. Maybe I should buy a brand new Emotiva DAC?
Decisions, decisions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back