Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Jul 2, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #846 of 903
Here's a video of what happens. Initially, after being powered down for a while, it will take a minute. Then after turning it off then on again, it will happen faster. It is likely a heat issue. Maybe some sort of protection that has gotten kicked into gear. Fast forward to 35 seconds to see the "zipper" sound and frozen screen/device.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #847 of 903
Have you posted that video over on their forums? Seems like something is fairly wrong and unlikely user serviceable. But maybe someone on the tech side would see that and have a good idea from the sound.

Too bad the original owner didn't transfer the warranty over to you during the sale.

Jul 7, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #850 of 903
Honestly, besides my budget preventing it, I don't think I have it in me to send it in and potentially get charged for some thing that may not be fixable. Then I'm out another $100. Either way, nothing's gonna happen for at least a few months. Not gonna join another forum for this. When I called they said they had never heard of the issue. I think it could be the end of a beautiful friendship here. I appreciate the comments from all regarding this.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #851 of 903
Well..... I am torn about posting this, but things have been pretty frustrating regarding this.
Emotiva has been upfront, but very cold and inflexible.
Here is the response. Keep in mind I spent $365 shipped, 2 years ago.
Than I gave emotive $100. They charge this to those that don't have the original proof of sale. The original owner returned none of my emails, so I figured they could fix their own product.
I told them that there was no digital signal going in, and that the DC-1 was freezing up. They kept saying "we've never heard of that problem". So I took a chance and paid them the $100. I didn't realize I'd be doing something akin to gambling.
Here is the response.

"After several hours of working on your unit our technicians have determined that is it unable to be repaired. The unit did not pass any AP testings, there were no digital inputs, and several parts would have to be replaced, some of which are no longer available. We are able to send you a replacement working unit in lieu of repair. The total for this non-warranty replacement would be an additional $200. Please let us know if you want to proceed with getting a working unit, or have us send you the original unit back."

That puts the total cost at $665 all in, to continue life with a Stealth DAC from emotiva....

I am angry. 1st world problem, yes, but like most of us, I'm not swimming in money either.

I guess they told me..

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #852 of 903
I feel for you. Wow, that really sucks.

It really sucks that the original owner didn't transfer the warranty and is non-responsive. If you could get that, they would likely perform a warranty replacement. Are they active on any forums?

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #854 of 903
Well..... I am torn about posting this, but things have been pretty frustrating regarding this.
Emotiva has been upfront, but very cold and inflexible.
Here is the response. Keep in mind I spent $365 shipped, 2 years ago.
Than I gave emotive $100. They charge this to those that don't have the original proof of sale. The original owner returned none of my emails, so I figured they could fix their own product.
I told them that there was no digital signal going in, and that the DC-1 was freezing up. They kept saying "we've never heard of that problem". So I took a chance and paid them the $100. I didn't realize I'd be doing something akin to gambling.
Here is the response.

"After several hours of working on your unit our technicians have determined that is it unable to be repaired. The unit did not pass any AP testings, there were no digital inputs, and several parts would have to be replaced, some of which are no longer available. We are able to send you a replacement working unit in lieu of repair. The total for this non-warranty replacement would be an additional $200. Please let us know if you want to proceed with getting a working unit, or have us send you the original unit back."

That puts the total cost at $665 all in, to continue life with a Stealth DAC from emotiva....

I am angry. 1st world problem, yes, but like most of us, I'm not swimming in money either.

I guess they told me..

I tried and tried. The thing is definitely under 5 years old and was babied by all three owners.

I've owned many emotiva products and haven't had any issues at all. I never really considered having to send it back for repairs, but this is very disappointing to hear.

@KeithEmo is this how much out of warranty repairs end up costing?

Sep 14, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #855 of 903
It's $100 for them to look at it and decide what to do. The "diagnosis", then the repair
Costs begin. I've heard of the same $100 being used towards the repair, but I did not get that feeling when I called. In fact the rep would not confirm or deny anything. I've also heard of more positive outcomes. Maybe I'm a bad apple. In their defense, it's their policy. In my defense, it still sucks. It seems from the email they sent that they spent "several hours" confirming that it was broken. I imagine the offer of sending a new one for $200 constitutes a good deal to me in their eyes. In one calculation where all the money I,ve spent so far doesn't exist, maybe it is

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back