Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Dec 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #76 of 903
this whole hobby is very subjective, so we all have different taste, i wasn't thinking you were taking exception to what i was saying, i was just meaning, for me, compared to the wadia, i preferred the wadia, cpmpared to the wadia's headphone out, with my lcd's, the sound was flat, it wasn't dynamic, no slam ! lol, i actually went to emotiva, i live a little over an hour away from there, and the guy i bought my headphones from , lives near there.
one of the guys there said i'd need an external amp for the lcd's, their amp just doesn't have the current that the lcd's like.
now when i used a headphone amp, and used the wadia, the bifrost, and the dc-1 just as dacs, they were all very close, they are all so good, i think it just comes down to which "sound" i preferred , and someone else might prefer another, and both of us are right ! lol

I agree 100%. This hobby is very subjective to ones tastes and what they are looking to do with their systems. I don't know how much "system synergy" comes into play, but I do know that all gear has its own sonic signature and that other pieces may either compliment it, or be a terrible match.

I also agree with your assessment that the DC-1 lacks dynamic slam. In fact, that is easily my biggest "complaint" in regards to its sound. It's rather odd IMO as well, as I have owned a lot of Emo gear in the past (and still do) and I have never considered thier house sound to be as well mannered as the DC-1.

Having said that, I haven't heard their XDA-1, or XDA-2, but I don't recall anyone ever mentioning a lack of dynamics with them, so I think it seems to be a quality of the DC-1 alone (among Emo gear). Interesting that you hear the same thing...at least that confirms I am not just imagining things! LOL!

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #77 of 903

this whole hobby is very subjective, so we all have different taste, i wasn't thinking you were taking exception to what i was saying, i was just meaning, for me, compared to the wadia, i preferred the wadia, cpmpared to the wadia's headphone out, with my lcd's, the sound was flat, it wasn't dynamic, no slam ! lol, i actually went to emotiva, i live a little over an hour away from there, and the guy i bought my headphones from , lives near there.
one of the guys there said i'd need an external amp for the lcd's, their amp just doesn't have the current that the lcd's like.
now when i used a headphone amp, and used the wadia, the bifrost, and the dc-1 just as dacs, they were all very close, they are all so good, i think it just comes down to which "sound" i preferred , and someone else might prefer another, and both of us are right ! lol

I agree 100%. This hobby is very subjective to ones tastes and what they are looking to do with their systems. I don't know how much "system synergy" comes into play, but I do know that all gear has its own sonic signature and that other pieces may either compliment it, or be a terrible match.

I also agree with your assessment that the DC-1 lacks dynamic slam. In fact, that is easily my biggest "complaint" in regards to its sound. It's rather odd IMO as well, as I have owned a lot of Emo gear in the past (and still do) and I have never considered thier house sound to be as well mannered as the DC-1.

Having said that, I haven't heard their XDA-1, or XDA-2, but I don't recall anyone ever mentioning a lack of dynamics with them, so I think it seems to be a quality of the DC-1 alone (among Emo gear). Interesting that you hear the same thing...at least that confirms I am not just imagining things! LOL!

i'm a big believer in system synergy

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #78 of 903
This is the Schiit. Bifrost Uber. http://www.amazon.com/Bifrost-Uber-Digital-Analog-Convertor/dp/B00DV38SZM

They state:
  1. USB 2.0, 24/192, Async, Completely Buzzword Compliant
 Have high-res music? No problem. Bifrost offers a full range of inputs: Coaxial and optical SPDIF, as well as USB. Bifrost's USB features a high-speed Gen 2 USB 2.0 interface and asynchronous data transfer to 24/192, including 24/176. No drivers are required for Macs and popular Linux distros like Ubuntu, and Windows drivers are downloadable for Windows 8, 7, Vista, and XP.

But I am not sure it supports USB OTG out of an Android phone. Anyone?

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #79 of 903
  This is the Schiit. Bifrost Uber. http://www.amazon.com/Bifrost-Uber-Digital-Analog-Convertor/dp/B00DV38SZM

They state:
  1. USB 2.0, 24/192, Async, Completely Buzzword Compliant
 Have high-res music? No problem. Bifrost offers a full range of inputs: Coaxial and optical SPDIF, as well as USB. Bifrost's USB features a high-speed Gen 2 USB 2.0 interface and asynchronous data transfer to 24/192, including 24/176. No drivers are required for Macs and popular Linux distros like Ubuntu, and Windows drivers are downloadable for Windows 8, 7, Vista, and XP.

But I am not sure it supports USB OTG out of an Android phone. Anyone?

I have never had the opportunity to use any Schiit products. You may have better luck finding an answer by posting this in a Schiit thread. Good luck, whatever you choose. :)

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #80 of 903
Hi all, I have a question about the sound signature of the DC-1. How is the vocal (female/male) presentation of the DAC? The reason I ask is because I prefer a slightly forward vocal presentation as opposed to a recessed vocal presentation. Just my personal preference. I have the Yulong D100 II and the DA8. On the D100II I find vocals slightly recessed but the DA8 vocals sounds just about right for me. I want to try out the DC1 and was curious as it its "signature sound". Some users have already posted their impressions of the "signature sound" and it was much appreciated and insightful. I currently have HD598 with the D100II and HD700 with the DA8. I am planning on just using the DC1 on my main stereo rig, I love the sound of the ERC-1 Cd player on my main stereo rig and I love Emotiva's implementation of the AD1955 dac chip on that CD player and that is why I am entertaining the DC-1 because it uses twin AD1955 Dacs and I would love my htpc to sound as good if not better than my cd player as a source.  Thank you kindly.

all the best.

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #81 of 903
I jumped on the sale and got DC-1 and Mini-a X-100 for my HE-500
They'll arrive tmr.
I was really curious how the DC-1 would sound as it seems everyone here seems to be having a hard time describing the sound signature. 
So I decide to hear it for myself. 
If I don't like it I'll return it for the bifrost Schiit I originally planned.
Don't have anything to compare to but some old ass cheapo gear, but I'll try to post some impressions after me finals.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #82 of 903
Hi all, I have a question about the sound signature of the DC-1. How is the vocal (female/male) presentation of the DAC? The reason I ask is because I prefer a slightly forward vocal presentation as opposed to a recessed vocal presentation. Just my personal preference. I have the Yulong D100 II and the DA8. On the D100II I find vocals slightly recessed but the DA8 vocals sounds just about right for me. I want to try out the DC1 and was curious as it its "signature sound". Some users have already posted their impressions of the "signature sound" and it was much appreciated and insightful. I currently have HD598 with the D100II and HD700 with the DA8. I am planning on just using the DC1 on my main stereo rig, I love the sound of the ERC-1 Cd player on my main stereo rig and I love Emotiva's implementation of the AD1955 dac chip on that CD player and that is why I am entertaining the DC-1 because it uses twin AD1955 Dacs and I would love my htpc to sound as good if not better than my cd player as a source.  Thank you kindly.

all the best.

If you have the ERC-1 and like it, chances are that you will love the DC-1. I have never personally heard any of Emo's CD players, but they are (of course) extremely popular on their lounge. From all accounts, the DC-1 is a step up from the ERC-1, ERC-2, and their XDA-1, and XDA-2 DACs.

Please post a review if you decide to nab one up while they are on sale (being advertised as their last regularly scheduled sale).

I jumped on the sale and got DC-1 and Mini-a X-100 for my HE-500

They'll arrive tmr.

I was really curious how the DC-1 would sound as it seems everyone here seems to be having a hard time describing the sound signature. 

So I decide to hear it for myself. 

If I don't like it I'll return it for the bifrost Schiit I originally planned.

Don't have anything to compare to but some old ass cheapo gear, but I'll try to post some impressions after me finals.

Congrats! I too wanted to jump on the Mini amp, simply to have around "just in case", but alas, I didn't have the extra funds after getting the DC-1.

Please post a review once you have had time to test it out. I love end user reviews of gear. It's fun to "compare notes" so-to-speak. :)

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #83 of 903
Thanks for your response painted klown. Since I am happy with the erc1, I figured the DC1 should sound as good if not better because it technically has a superior dac section to their cd player.... but you never know. I was more curious as to what owner's of the DC1 on this forum felt about the general vocal presentation of this dac. I know it is a difficult question to answer because other components may affect the signature sound but would be curious of DC1 user's thoughts on this. Thanks.

all the best.

Dec 14, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #84 of 903
I'd love any more talk on these..

I'm seeing the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 as having WAY more features than the Schiit, Analog volume control and input, plus headphone amp and balanced outputs.  This could replace my monitor controler/headphone amp all at once in a single compact unit, and would be great for traveling.  $500 is barely in my range, but if these go up to $700, not so much.

The Schiit is MADE IN USA and that's pretty cool, bare bones features.  I guess the real question is the sound quality of the D/A.  The price is also more attractive.  The Schiit is uglier, to me.  And again, no preamp features, or phone amp.  Does function nicely as a digital-only preamp, though.

I'd be really curious to hear a direct comparison of the DC-1 to the "Uber"-frost.  And what the heck, the Dac Magic Plus if anyone's got their hands on that, too.

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #86 of 903
  Anybody else decide to pick one of these up?

I would be interested in hearing everyone's thoughts. :)

Yup, I just placed an order for one today. Estimated arrive is Thursday... wish it would arrive earlier so that I can burn it in more before my mini meet on Saturday. I will be comparing it mainly to the Concero, Gungnir, and NFB-10es2. However, there will also be a odac, modi, and master 7 at the meet. Those three dacs are either way below or above the price range of my main comparisons though. 

I'm really hoping that the dc-1 is polite, like you described, as I am finding my setup too "loud" with the gungnir. 

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #87 of 903
I just ordered one too!  The sooner the better but I'm ok to wait a few days.  Emotiva is such a cool company.  Read their mission statement.

I will be comparing to an Echo Audiofire, which I have been listening to for over half a decade..  into an SM Pro M Patch 2 which does my volume, source and speaker selection, and headphones

Hopefully the DC-1 will replace all these functions

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #88 of 903
Also.. has anyone noted any differences due to burn-in? I hope my findings with the the 4 dac comparisons will be helpful to others. 

Also... any notable differences between USB and coax?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back