Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Dec 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #46 of 903
Does it support USB OTG audio (work with Android phone/tablet as source)?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #48 of 903
they lowered price to $699 which I think is great! I may order it next month to compare to my dacmini.
11.gif

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #50 of 903
Actually, the current price is $499 and you get a free cable...

This is correct. However, this sale is scheduled to end arounf Christmas (not sure of exact day) and Emotiva has stated that they aren't planning to have any more regularly scheduled sales after this one. Just for an FYI, in case anyone is considering this DAC.

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #53 of 903
I ordered last night, I went to emotive a few weeks ago, and checked out the stealth briefly , now I'm gonna try with my gear!

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #54 of 903
I ordered last night, I went to emotive a few weeks ago, and checked out the stealth briefly , now I'm gonna try with my gear!

Good deal. I am glad to see some more people over here getting the DC-1. I think it would be a very popular DAC (based on all of the positive word of mouth I have read on their forum) on here, if it could gain some traction.

Please post your thoughts when you have had the opportunity to test it out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #55 of 903
Good deal. I am glad to see some more people over here getting the DC-1. I think it would be a very popular DAC (based on all of the positive word of mouth I have read on their forum) on here, if it could gain some traction.

Please post your thoughts when you have had the opportunity to test it out. :)  

Supposed to be here tomorrow

Dec 5, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #56 of 903

Awesome! Mine is supposed to be in tomorrow as well. I will be very curious to see how you think it compares to the Bifrost, as that DAC is well known, highly recommended, and one I considered before placing my order with Emotiva.

I am not sure how the headamp section is on the DC-1, and I don't have the experience (or enough headphones) to give it a real workout, but in all honesty, I ordered it for the DAC section, as I feel it will be a strong performer in that area.

Dec 6, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #57 of 903
Ok, some early impressions from last night.

First (just because it's fast and easy) is the headphone output vs. the HP output on the Emotiva XSP-1 preamp.

It literally only took a matter of seconds to determine the HP output on the DC-1 is FAR superior to the one on the XSP-1. This was tested briefly using my Senn HD-598s. I didn't even have to play through an entire track for this test. The XSP-1 HP output sounds thinner, and less "full bodied" if that makes sense.

I plan to do more testing in the future, with more HPs, but with the gap I heard between them, I doubt the outcome will change.

I did test the DC-1 through the Emotiva XSP-1 for about an hour or so. I then went direct to the amps. Weather or not it was placebo, I don't know, but it did seem to sound more detailed IMO. Further testing MUST be done to give my conclusive opinion, and this feeling may change...more comparison must take place.

I then ran my Cambridge Audio Azur 340C CD player into both the analog in on the DC-1 and to the digital coax as well. That way I could a/b the sound using the same player, disc, etc. Also the sound of the Cambridge from its analog outputs is what I am used to. Through the DC-1s analog input, it sounded exactly how I thought it would. No change there.

However, through the digital coax (using the DC-1 as the DAC) it sounded considerably different. So much, in fact, that with some guitars and bass sounds, the timbre of the instrument seemed to change. I backed this up with several tracks and sections. Vocals too, took on a different timbre, but was more difficult to discern unless it was intimate vocals in an acoustic song. Never-the-less, IMO, it did sound very much different.

Ok, with that out of the way, here is where I am at currently with the Cambridge DACs vs. the DC-1. Remember this is mostly low level listening, so I haven't yet had the opportunity to really "push" things the way I like to when auditioning gear.

The Cambridge Audio (abbreviated as CA from here on out) sounds like what I am used to. IMO, it sounds "fine" and if I had never compared it to the DC-1, I would think that most all CD players would sound similar. Especially given that it is largely believed that most DACs sound very similar, with only subtleties in their differences.

IMO, in my room, with my gear, I do not believe that these two DACs sound the same.

The CA DAC sounds like a good representation of the music, and initially I thought it sounded a bit "thicker" or "fuller" than the DC-1. Upon continued listening and A/B testing, I began to think that I was mistaken. The CA sounds fuller, yes, but not for the reason I had initially thought. IMO, it sounds fuller only because it sounds a bit "smeared" or "sloppy" when compared directly to the DC-1. By comparison, the DC-1 sounds a bit "thinner" upon initial impression, but you soon realize that this "thinness" isn't a thin sound, but merely a more detailed sound, that seems to start and stop the sound waves with no overhang, hesitation, or added decay. This is VERY difficult for me to describe in words, so I hope that makes sense.

To elaborate a bit for clarification. I feel the DC-1 is more resolving of fine detail, and it seems to be allowing me to better hear things that were "lost in the mix" before. I am not talking about additional instruments. I am talking about the way the strings are being raked, the way the guitarist is fretting the strings, breathing in vocal lines, and an extra sense of air separating different textures and subtle undertones that ring out when a chord is struck. More on this when I have time and am not tired.

Signal chain for the bulk of this listening and ALL of the A/B testing was Cambridge Audio Azur 340C > Emotiva X-Series digital coax cable AND Monoprice premium RCA cables > Emotiva DC-1 > Emotiva X-Series XLR cables > Emotiva XPA-1 amps > Monoprice 12g speaker wire > Bowers & Wilkins 684 towers.

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #58 of 903
Thanks for the review! Do you think the detail retrieval could match or rival that of the Yulong DA8 or Matrix X-Sabre?

I've been looking for a DAC to go with the Emotiva mini-X A-100, and I wouldn't mind considering the Stealth DC-1. Is the background dead silent?

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #59 of 903

I'd be interested to know your opinion on how it compares to your bifrost schiit with your LCD2.2
I'm sure a lot of us would like to know that too given the popularity of the Schiit.
I was originally thinking of getting that schiit for my new HE-500 before I found out about Emotiva

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #60 of 903
Are there any other recent impressions on this thing? It looked like several people were ordering them, but only one person spoke up.

I'm just going to order it blind (deaf?). I won't be able to listen to it for several months, so it'll just be sitting and waiting for me to return home. Hopefully it's good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back