Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Jan 5, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #106 of 903
The fact that a $500 well-reviewed, neutral sounding DAC offers balanced outputs is quite tempting. Going balanced with either an Auditor or V200 is a rather interesting proposition. I'm quite happy with my Peachtree Dac-It, but balanced outputs are something it sadly lacks.

I'm thinking of taking it for a trial run.

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #107 of 903
  D1sturb3d, let us know what you think of the combo. I current have the Dragonfly DAC/preamp and the mini 100x. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Stealth. Not sure if it is worth it. Oh well ...

I had the same combination and upgraded to the Resonessence Labs Concero which was an excellent jump up in performance from the DF so I can definitely recommend upgrading to a mid level DAC. The Stealth DC-1 seems like a real bargain at its current special pricing, but that ends after today. If you end up missing out on the special then the RL Concero @ $600 is a very nice portable alternative.

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #108 of 903
The Emotiva is a high end, no compromises DAC, the Sound Blaster is a consumer product, I don't think there would be any comparison, the Emotiva should easily sound a lot better.

I don't like the volume control on the DC-1, it sounds bad, I would keep using the Nano Patch.  I need that big, continuous knob, too.

I am using my DC-1 with an M Patch 2 and I am in love with my sound now.  M-Patch 2 offers speaker switching and headphone amp, uses the same volume control you are familiar with from the Nano Patch.  SM Pro makes some newer editions I think with subwoofer connections if I recall.  The M Patch 2.1 would be perfect for your scenario.

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #110 of 903
It's a bit hard to describe, but it sounds "thin" or maybe scooped in the mids.  It seemed to emphasize a grating sound quality, and reduce fullness.  The SM Pro passive potentiometer in comparison sounds somewhat fuller and smoother.  It's kind of subtle, but my ears can tell the difference.

The DC-1 preamp could work in a pinch, but, I am being a perfectionist about my sound.

Part of it is just that I'm so used to the sound of the SM Pro attenuator I've just come to like that sound.  I like that little extra fullness.  Maybe "bad" is too much of an exaggeration for the DC-1 volume attenuator.  It might even be flatter, actually.

You know what I bet it is a flat frequency response.  Sounds kind of like "how a CD player is supposed to sound."  I won't call it bad.  I am just always on a quest for fullness.  It's funny that I'm finding that in a $100 passive attenuator.  The M Patch has this cool smooth, soft kind of sound.

I think I just got flipped out going from years listening to the same attenuator, to something completely different.  I think I need to spend some time with the DC-1 and get comfortable with it as a preamp.

Thanks for the question, it got me to go back and A/B again.

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #111 of 903
I must say, driving my Magneplanar 1.7's with 1,000 watt per channel Emotiva XPA-1's, the sound is anything but thin, grating or scooped.

I would use the terms musical, transparent, non-fatiguing and spacious.

You may need some new, upgraded gear to realize what you've got.....

Thanks,

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #113 of 903
Just an update.  Now that I've spent some time with it, I actually am starting to prefer the extra clarity of the DC-1 volume attenuator.  Especially through my less bright pair of speakers, it's really quite nice.

I am going to give some time to the headphone amp, now.  All I have to compare to is the SM Pro amps I have and the iPhone 4S, I don't own a high end headphone amp yet.

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #117 of 903
I wonder how the DC-1 pairs as a DAC/Pre with the Emo XPA2-II for a $1300 setup. I wonder how musical this combo would be.

I am about to spend $4900 on a NAIM SuperNait2. Talk about musical!

I am not so much a headphone guy. Right now I have a pair of Dynaudio Focus speakers. I am a 2-channel speaker guy...with maybe a REL sub down the road.

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #120 of 903
  I wonder how the DC-1 pairs as a DAC/Pre with the Emo XPA2-II for a $1300 setup. I wonder how musical this combo would be.

I am about to spend $4900 on a NAIM SuperNait2. Talk about musical!

I am not so much a headphone guy. Right now I have a pair of Dynaudio Focus speakers. I am a 2-channel speaker guy...with maybe a REL sub down the road.

That is a wonderful combination, and available at that price only through today.

In fact, I had the XPA2 Gen 2 until I went for the mono blocks on sale....sounded just as nice, and very powerful through my Maggies or Dynaudio Geminis.

What's to lose?

Free two-day shipping, 30 day trial and sale prices!

You couldn't find a better $1,300 complete system.....and there's an analog out for your sub in addition to the balanced out for your amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back