Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Feb 6, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #815 of 903
Any suggestions?

I would think you'd need to start looking at around $2k and up. Even then whether you can make much of any real improvement in SQ is highly debatable.
Either the new Benchmark DAC3 HGC $2,195, or the older DAC2 HGC $1,995 are sure to deliver the best State Of The Art sound and also get you DSD playback if that interests you.
https://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/digital-to-analog-audio-converter
Personally I spend the extra money on quality recordings, or save it for your next speaker/headphone upgrade.
YMMV

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #816 of 903
I would think you'd need to start looking at around $2k and up. Even then whether you can make much of any real improvement in SQ is highly debatable.
Either the new Benchmark DAC3 HGC $2,195, or the older DAC2 HGC $1,995 are sure to deliver the best State Of The Art sound and also get you DSD playback if that interests you.
https://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/digital-to-analog-audio-converter
Personally I spend the extra money on quality recordings, or save it for your next speaker/headphone upgrade.
YMMV

So, how would you compare the Ud-501 vs Dc-1? I know the headphone amp is better on dc-1, howabout the dac itself, if used bypassed the amp?

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #817 of 903
So, how would you compare the Ud-501 vs Dc-1? I know the headphone amp is better on dc-1, howabout the dac itself, if used bypassed the amp?

Haven't heard them both, but without doing so I'll say this. I'd bet you a steak dinner that you couldn't hear ANY difference between them in a blind listening test, whether driving phones of speakers. 
Only thing is again the Teac does DSD,  the DC-1 doesn't  That holds no importance to me.
YMMV

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #818 of 903

I own the UD-501 and I tested the DC-1 at my friends house. General impressions is that the UD-501 is warmer and more musical and the DC-1 is more neutral and has more clarity and details. Depends what type of sound you are after. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #819 of 903
I own the UD-501 and I tested the DC-1 at my friends house. General impressions is that the UD-501 is warmer and more musical and the DC-1 is more neutral and has more clarity and details. Depends what type of sound you are after. 

Well, therein lies the rabbit. Wanna retain UD-501's musicality, but have DC-1's detail and clarity. Anyone heard such a splice? say Brooklyn, maybe?

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #824 of 903
  I own the XDA-2 and had considered the DC-1.  Is there THAT big of a difference in SQ?  I've decided to use my XDA-2 as a desktop DAC now so I may be looking in the future.

NO, at best an extremely subtle difference that only a highly trained ear might be able to reliably identify in a bias controlled blind listening test.
The good news is Emotiva's return policy if you want to give one a test drive.

"Our number one goal is customer satisfaction. If you are not 100% satisfied with your product, we will give you a full refund of the purchase price for returns made within 30 days of purchase. This is a hassle free, no questions asked policy."

Jun 9, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #825 of 903
Anyone compare the DC-1 Stealth to the Schiit Modi Multibit or Bifrost Multibit?

Intersting. I have a Modi Multibit currently but I need a balanced DAC and Schiit's balanced multibit offering is a cool $1K more than my Mimby. The Stealth DC-1 has all the specs I want but I was worried I would be losing something sonically from the Mimby.

Hello,

Well, I have the same need : I have a schiit modi multibit and I'd like to get a balanced DAC.
I have a balanced capable amp and my headphones can be ballanced too.

I've read lot's of good report about this emotiva stealth DC-1.
So well could it be "better" than a schiit modi multibit ? Any improvement or interest to buy this balanced DAC ?

No real need about DSD, remote control, or fancy stuff :wink:

Thank you again.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back