Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Jan 4, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #797 of 903
I think that it depends on what you're next upgrade might be.  I think that the DC-1 has a stronger DAC and weaker HPA.  
- Dual balanced DAC signal path
- Lots of inputs and optional ASRC

The Jotunheim is the reverse.  
- Balanced and about twice the power SE
- more gain options

Both are going to sound very good, so you certainly aren't going to be unhappy with either.

Alternatively, you could go with the Modi2 Multibit and the Asgard 2 or Valhalla 2 or Jotunheim.  I haven't heard those combinations, but I would certainly be interested in them.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/818323/schiit-jotunheim-review-preview-head-fi-tv/915#post_12868861

I might get the Jotunheim first, then plan on upgrading the DAC later... if I felt the itch.

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #798 of 903
  I am trying to decide which upgraded DAC/Amp to purchase and stay under the $500 price point. I currently have a pair of HIFIMAN HE-400I and are going to add to to the collection the Fostex T50RP MK3 with mods and looking to find that one combo that will pretty much drive anything I want to throw out it. I am going to purchase the Airmotiv 5s or 6S to use with my computer desk in the future and Zeos has impressed the heck out me on these badboys. . I am not using any balanced XLR cables currently  and wondering can you really hear that they are better? I was wondering if it  is worth getting a set for my  HE-4001 and then set the Fostex that way ? I can't see mysel going to some $1500 DAC?Amp like the Oppo HA-1 in the future. 

Chosing between these 2 devices : Schiit Jotunheim or The Emotiva Stealth .  What which one you would buy ? 

Keith is there any updates or  a newer model scheduled to come out in the next 6 months ? 

Thanks 

We do have some new models in the works - but I'm not sure whether there will be anything in six months.

Jan 20, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #799 of 903
Hey guys I am having trouble with my computer not playing through the Stealth DC1.  It's been fine until recently, the display was messed up and then soon after had usb connectivity issues until it would not connect at all.  I am running Win 7. This is what Emotiva had to say once they got the unit: "Loose front ribbon connector and failing USB IC were causing issues. Re-seated ribbon cable and replaced CM6631A IC."
I just got it back and it Windows is still not playing through the DAC.  I tried reinstalling the drivers a couple times, restarting the computer, restarting the DAC.  I know there is some sort of order for turning on the computer and dac because if you do it in the wrong order it won't recognize the DAC.  I tried a couple different USB cables as well.  Windows does see the device and go through the automatic driver installation when I turn off and on the power to the DAC from the switch on the back.
Any help with troubleshooting?
I am going to buy a coax cable and see if that works for now.
Thanks
Edited: I had the usb audio device disabled in windows.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #806 of 903
It had been on for a few hours, however the DC-1 had been on in the morning, then was transported (40 minutes) and plugged in for about 5 min before it was compared to the modi which had been on.

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #807 of 903
It had been on for a few hours, however the DC-1 had been on in the morning, then was transported (40 minutes) and plugged in for about 5 min before it was compared to the modi which had been on.

Intersting. I have a Modi Multibit currently but I need a balanced DAC and Schiit's balanced multibit offering is a cool $1K more than my Mimby. The Stealth DC-1 has all the specs I want but I was worried I would be losing something sonically from the Mimby. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #809 of 903
This is my second day with the DC-1 and to tell you the truth I'm impressed by the performance.  I'm using it to stream Tidal HiFi/Roon from my MacBook USB > DC-1 analog balanced XLR out > Anthem 2 channel balanced mode to play over my system or I'll just use my Audeze headphones bypassing the Anthem. The DC-1 will work with an IOS device such as iPad/iPhone via the lightning port with the special cable. 

Excellent sound and synergy with my mix of gear.

Kudos to Emotiva!

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #810 of 903
  This is my second day with the DC-1 and to tell you the truth I'm impressed by the performance.  I'm using it to stream Tidal HiFi/Roon from my MacBook USB > DC-1 analog balanced XLR out > Anthem 2 channel balanced mode to play over my system or I'll just use my Audeze headphones bypassing the Anthem. The DC-1 will work with an IOS device such as iPad/iPhone via the lightning port with the special cable. 

Excellent sound and synergy with my mix of gear.

Kudos to Emotiva!

Glad your enjoying yours!  I've had mine over 2 years now and it has never disappointed whether driving my Senn HD650s or my full HiFi system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back