Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Jan 7, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #181 of 903
The DC-1 can be set to fixed line out. 

This is correct. you can either use the DC-1 as a preamp, or as a source component. I have used it in both manners, and it works great either way.

Can it be used as a Dac & Pre-amp at the same time?

Yes. It is a DAC, so as long as you are running a digital signal into it (to be converted into an analog signal), you are using its DAC functionality. You can also select from between a fixed level output (use it as a source component into a preamp), or you can select variable output and use it as a preamp. The volume knob is the one on the right side of the face. It also has an analog input for those that want to have an analog source component in their system as well.

Hope that helps.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #183 of 903

The DC-1 can be set to fixed line out. 

This is correct. you can either use the DC-1 as a preamp, or as a source component. I have used it in both manners, and it works great either way.

Can it be used as a Dac & Pre-amp at the same time?

Of course it can.  You can use the DAC in fixed output mode and ignore the volume attenuator.  Or you can use it in variable volume mode and use the volume knob on the DC-1, both.  With the Audio input selected you aren't even using the DAC, you can control the volume of a record player for instance, before your power amp.  The headphone amp is always using the built in volume control, and of course can play back from any of the inputs, analog or digital.  Really you can get a lot done with this compact and reasonably priced unit.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #184 of 903

3) Since everybody seems to be happy about the sale price, Emo has decided to make it the "regular price" for the DC-1;
at least until further notice  ($499)  
beerchug.gif

So im assuming this is a step up from the Schiit Bifrost?

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #188 of 903
  From Gary's thread:

Originally Posted by kLevkoff 

2) While the other inputs on the DC-1 have galvanic isolation, the USB input does not - which is why you might hear a tiny bit of noise there - with certain few computers and under some grounding conditions. (Even though you probably won't hear it with anything except very sensitive IEMs.) Any decent USB ground isolator should eliminate it entirely.

I'm surprised there have been reports of noise on the usb input.  My understanding was that the DC-1 uses a CM6331 which seems to measure really well, even when running off dirty usb power in the generic ebay breeze audio units.  See, e.g.: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/03/measurements-adaptive-aune-x1.html 

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #189 of 903

So im assuming this is a step up from the Schiit Bifrost?

In features alone, it is a big step up for the same money (as the USB Uber Bifrost).  I haven't heard the Schiit but I'd like to.  You get analog volume control, audio input, more digital inputs, headphone amp, remote control, balanced outputs

The DC-1 is more similar to the Gungnir in the way it's designed.  It's differential in the amplifier, an engineering term, and the Bifrost is not.  Basically, balanced internally all the way from the DAC chips to the outputs.  At least this is my understanding based on the ad copy.

So the $500 DC-1 more or less compares to the $850 USB Gungnir, but, the Gungnir still lacks several key features of the DC-1.  Namely the excellent volume control and headphone amplifier.  So I think it's pretty clear which one is the (much) better value.  You get a lot for your money with the Emotiva.

I can't comment on sound, wish I could.

USB is a pretty key feature for me.  I haven't experienced noise in my setup.

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #190 of 903

In features alone, it is a big step up for the same money (as the USB Uber Bifrost).  I haven't heard the Schiit but I'd like to.  You get analog volume control, audio input, more digital inputs, headphone amp, remote control, balanced outputs

The DC-1 is more similar to the Gungnir in the way it's designed.  It's differential in the amplifier, an engineering term, and the Bifrost is not.  Basically, balanced internally all the way from the DAC chips to the outputs.  At least this is my understanding based on the ad copy.

So the $500 DC-1 more or less compares to the $850 USB Gungnir, but, the Gungnir still lacks several key features of the DC-1.  Namely the excellent volume control and headphone amplifier.  So I think it's pretty clear which one is the (much) better value.  You get a lot for your money with the Emotiva.

I can't comment on sound, wish I could.

USB is a pretty key feature for me.  I haven't experienced noise in my setup.

Thank you! Looking at the features, the emotiva has a lot to offer. I asked because I am currently saving up for the Bifrost to replace my Titanium HD.
If these are still at 499 by the time I make my purchase then Im definitely getting it instead. 

Just wanted to hear what people think of them against the Bifrost.

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #192 of 903
I have not really listened to the Bifrost (other than at meets, which doesn't really count) but in my side-by-side, level-matched testing, the Gungnir and Emo DC-1 were indistinguishable from each other when playing a wide variety of tracks (the variety was both in types of music and file bit rate).  Both sounded excellent.

Head-Fier Barry S. also tested the two side by side at my house -- it was his Gungnir -- and could not hear any difference either.  I used my LCD-3s, he used his LCD-Xs, which are much more "analytical" sounding than the -3s. 

So two people with different tastes and different cans tried to find sonic differences between the two DACs and couldn't.  Take that for whatever it's worth to you, but in my view, the Gungnir and Emo sound the same (as do a bunch of other mid-level DACs I tested), but the Emo is significantly cheaper with more features.  You can come to any conclusions you want based on that data, but I know where I'd spend my money if I were choosing between those two DACs.

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #193 of 903
  I have not really listened to the Bifrost (other than at meets, which doesn't really count) but in my side-by-side, level-matched testing, the Gungnir and Emo DC-1 were indistinguishable from each other when playing a wide variety of tracks (the variety was both in types of music and file bit rate).  Both sounded excellent.

Head-Fier Barry S. also tested the two side by side at my house -- it was his Gungnir -- and could not hear any difference either.  I used my LCD-3s, he used his LCD-Xs, which are much more "analytical" sounding than the -3s. 

So two people with different tastes and different cans tried to find sonic differences between the two DACs and couldn't.  Take that for whatever it's worth to you, but in my view, the Gungnir and Emo sound the same (as do a bunch of other mid-level DACs I tested), but the Emo is significantly cheaper with more features.  You can come to any conclusions you want based on that data, but I know where I'd spend my money if I were choosing between those two DACs.

Thanks for that. I have a LCD-3 and looking at Gungnir vs. DC-1. Amp currently is the Emotiva mini-x-100....maybe I should consider an Emotiva stack.

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #194 of 903

Thank you @Gary in MD, now I can't wait to get my hands on the emo. Hopefully the 499 price will last for a little longer.

I've never had any external dac or anything higher end, but can I do this setup and still use the emo's dac (Titanium HD > Optical to DC-1) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back