Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Jan 7, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #196 of 903
I'm in Canada and the last time I bought the mini-x-a-100 from Emotiva on sale for $189, it cost me $270 with shipping, customs and duties. The DC-1 will cost me $565 with taxes alone. With shipping, customs, and brokerage fees, it will definitely be over $600. I was wondering how much it cost for those that bought it in the US. They say shipping to US is free. Was there any tax on that?....If I do consider this DAC, maybe I can get it shipped to US and then someone ships it to Canada. Probably save some money this way. Any thoughts?

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #197 of 903
Also, anyone try a TH-900/D7000/D5000/D2000 directly off the headphone jack? I know LCD-3 isn't the best idea off the jack, but what about something efficient as a Denon/Fostex?

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #198 of 903
$500, free shipping, and no taxes unless you're in tennessee.

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #199 of 903
  $500, free shipping, and no taxes unless you're in tennessee.

Awesome. I have family in Florida, so can work. Although I have never done this before and neither have they. I'd have to get them to list it as a gift or defective and show the cost at something like $30 or something to keep customs off my back. Although I don't know if that will hold in customs with the big size and all. Anybody have any experience on doing this? Just want to know for future. Also, should they transfer the contents to another box or is it fine to ship that same box as it arrives from Emotiva.

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #200 of 903

Awesome. I have family in Florida, so can work. Although I have never done this before and neither have they. I'd have to get them to list it as a gift or defective and show the cost at something like $30 or something to keep customs off my back. Although I don't know if that will hold in customs with the big size and all. Anybody have any experience on doing this? Just want to know for future. Also, should they transfer the contents to another box or is it fine to ship that same box as it arrives from Emotiva.

It's not as big or heavy as you might think.It actually comes double boxed; one brown box and then the dc-1 box right inside. However, it is a tight fit so just keep them double boxed. The dc-1 box is well packed and padded as well.

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #201 of 903

It's not as big or heavy as you might think.It actually comes double boxed; one brown box and then the dc-1 box right inside. However, it is a tight fit so just keep them double boxed. The dc-1 box is well packed and padded as well.

Yea I remember my Emotiva being double boxed as well. Just can't remember if the outer box mentioned what's inside the box or not...for custom purposes so they can check out the model, if it comes down to it.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #202 of 903

Do note however that if customs opens up the box and decides that the $30 declared value is false/suspicious (especially if you're keeping the original boxes), they can hold onto the package until you can either "prove" the value or pony up the money on the real value and face other possible fees. I've had this happen before and ultimately just refused the shipment and had it sent back. Not a good day (more like a couple wasted days in fact, because my first few gos at legit paperwork were denied).

As an alternative, you do live somewhat close to the border. You can have it shipped to a depot just on the other side and pick up the parcel yourself. How you bring it back into the country after that is your business.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #203 of 903
I decided to pull the trigger before the price goes up. According to amazon, there's only 10 left in stock.

How good is the headphone amp of the DC-1? I currently have a Matrix M-Stage and curious if its atleast on par or better.

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #205 of 903

Do note however that if customs opens up the box and decides that the $30 declared value is false/suspicious (especially if you're keeping the original boxes), they can hold onto the package until you can either "prove" the value or pony up the money on the real value and face other possible fees. I've had this happen before and ultimately just refused the shipment and had it sent back. Not a good day (more like a couple wasted days in fact, because my first few gos at legit paperwork were denied).

As an alternative, you do live somewhat close to the border. You can have it shipped to a depot just on the other side and pick up the parcel yourself. How you bring it back into the country after that is your business.

Thanks for the tip, will keep that in mind if I do decide to get it. I really wished Emotiva sold internationally through Amazon or had international vendors. Tennessee is closer to Toronto than California, yet we get killed on the price.

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #206 of 903
I looked into getting Emotiva stuff before as well. They charge quite a bit to ship up here but at least they handle all the fees and stuff. A slightly cheaper option is to get it shipped free to someone in the US, then have your friend ship it up here and you can choose to broker the item yourself. If you have a FedEx account where they can charge you directly, this will skip brokerage fees but you'll pay taxes (I'm not too sure on duties).

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #207 of 903
  I looked into getting Emotiva stuff before as well. They charge quite a bit to ship up here but at least they handle all the fees and stuff. A slightly cheaper option is to get it shipped free to someone in the US, then have your friend ship it up here and you can choose to broker the item yourself. If you have a FedEx account where they can charge you directly, this will skip brokerage fees but you'll pay taxes (I'm not too sure on duties).

I did my own brokering when I had to get the HE-500 a couple of years ago. It was a pain in the ass. I'll look into getting a Fedex account. I hate paying those guys. Taxes, oh well. Customs still going to apply.

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #208 of 903
FedEx normally has a $10 brokerage charge (which is better than the outlandish fees that UPS charges). If you have an account, they skip the $10. At least that's how it's worked for me the last few times. I don't think I've ordered anything that triggers additional fees, or maybe I've just lucked out.

Getting my HE-6 into the country... now that was expensive. Probably just over $2k all said and done
frown.gif

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #209 of 903
Just got my DC-1 today. Honestly, I am pretty disappointed with it. The highs are fairly harsh, and at times sound almost like static. I am also getting a distinct buzz when the USB is set to "Asynchronous" mode (very quiet, but definitely present with no music playing). I do not get the same buzz when it is set to "Synchronous" mode.

Does this sound like a defect, or is this the way they are? I wish I had them to compare side by side, but I almost feel like the XDA-2 sounded better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back