Emotiva A-100
Apr 22, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #316 of 759
image.jpeg
A picture of my A-100 at work. Not at my work at it working. Sounding mighty good.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #317 of 759
got an a-100 and dc-1 up for sale if anyones interested in these!

May 9, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #318 of 759
Ugh I wish I had the money right now XD

May 28, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #319 of 759
Just got my BasX A-100. A little late to the party. Upgrading from an Objective 2, to better drive power-hungry planar (Alpha Prime).

Mine is 100% hiss/noise free with high impedance headphones :dt880smile: listening now with jumpers installed, the power is INSANE lol :)

May 28, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #320 of 759
Just got my BasX A-100. A little late to the party. Upgrading from an Objective 2, to better drive power-hungry planar (Alpha Prime).

Mine is 100% hiss/noise free with high impedance headphones :dt880smile: listening now with jumpers installed, the power is INSANE lol :)

I did the exact same thing. Upgraded from O2 to bas-x, upgrded to primes. lol

I have a faint hiss on mine but it's absolutely inaudible with any music playing

May 29, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #322 of 759
Absolutely lol - for now, this combo is my 'end-game' - I may get the itch for some of Dan's other products when the price starts to drop or I can find a set used (Ether Flow C).

These Primes sound pretty nice and were definitely worth the upgrade from the standard Mad Dog. The bad part is that poorly recorded music sounds even worse, now. Guess it's time to start weeding out the old playlist...

May 30, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #323 of 759
Absolutely lol - for now, this combo is my 'end-game' - I may get the itch for some of Dan's other products when the price starts to drop or I can find a set used (Ether Flow C).

These Primes sound pretty nice and were definitely worth the upgrade from the standard Mad Dog. The bad part is that poorly recorded music sounds even worse, now. Guess it's time to start weeding out the old playlist...

That's weird. I find them quite forgiving actually.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #325 of 759
Call me crazy but I’ve been doing some intense comparison listening between my HE-560 and HD-650 on the A-100 (both from speaker taps) and I’ve found the 650 actually beats the 560 on bass. More distinct layering, feeling to the bass, greater rumble, the whole thing. I am surprised, is this because the amp is driving the 650’s to their full potential? Anyone else felt this way with this amp?

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #326 of 759
Call me crazy but I’ve been doing some intense comparison listening between my HE-560 and HD-650 on the A-100 (both from speaker taps) and I’ve found the 650 actually beats the 560 on bass. More distinct layering, feeling to the bass, greater rumble, the whole thing. I am surprised, is this because the amp is driving the 650’s to their full potential? Anyone else felt this way with this amp?
Did you install the jumpers?

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #328 of 759
I have the original A-100 so straight to the speaker taps
Oh yeah? I have the BasX, dunno how it compares with the original model but I suppose there's not much difference.
Interestingly I have HE560 and a very old HD600, which I bought in 2003 and was supposed to have more bass than white-screen HD600s in production these days. On my system the HE560 has more delicate bass and extends lower. Like other Hifiman planars it's never thumping or makes your head bob but it certainly beats my HD600 in terms of resolution and speed.

Hifiman have soft tonality IMHO. Audeze are planars as well and the LCD2 I once owned punches way harder than any hifiman I've heard.

Jun 6, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #329 of 759
Oh yeah? I have the BasX, dunno how it compares with the original model but I suppose there's not much difference.
Interestingly I have HE560 and a very old HD600, which I bought in 2003 and was supposed to have more bass than white-screen HD600s in production these days. On my system the HE560 has more delicate bass and extends lower. Like other Hifiman planars it's never thumping or makes your head bob but it certainly beats my HD600 in terms of resolution and speed.

Hifiman have soft tonality IMHO. Audeze are planars as well and the LCD2 I once owned punches way harder than any hifiman I've heard.

I’ve not listened to LCDs but I’m curious now. I’ve read their weight can be a problem

Jun 7, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #330 of 759
So I got one of these bad boys as an upgrade from my Magni 3. There is a greater noise floor from the A-100 (it is an 8 Ohm output impedance after all) so I'm thinking of keeping my Magni 3 as a pre-amp to the A-100 (to help moderate the extreme volume potential of the A-100 from my computer) and then so I can use the Magni 3 with any lower-impedance headphones I come into. Does anyone know of any drawbacks to using the Magni 3 as a pre-amp to the A-100?

As for impressions; the difference in dynamics between the two is quite palpable -- after volume matching and quickly A/Bing between the two (while using the Magni 3 as a pre-amp -- not sure if that would skew the sound or not, I can't admit to telling a difference straight from source); on my K7xx, bass is much more authoritative, meatier, the Magni 3 sounds shallow in comparison. On my HD600 everything is cleaned up, instrument separation is stronger; on ruckus-y tracks where the snare would get lost on the Magni 3, it punches right through the noise on the A-100. On my Ether Flow C's, bass slaps haaard compared to the Magni 3, and the mids (my biggest beef with the Ether Flow C's is they sounded a little hollow) have much more body and weight to them.

I'm also considering selling my Magni 3 and EL DAC for a DAC/amp that can output RCA, so if anyone has any good suggestions for a product that fits that bill for around, I dunno, $250, it'd be much appreciated! (I was thinking, maybe the Aune X1s...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back