Emotiva A-100
Apr 17, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #301 of 759
The Mini-X Gen2 also had the audio-on feature.
Besides the headphone output, the BasX version has a few other minor audio refinements... and should be a tiny bit quieter... but they're pretty close.
Hey Keith, quick question. Rumor has it that Emotiva's going to release a balanced headphone amp very soon. Is it tru?

Apr 18, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #303 of 759
That's correct.
We have a dedicated balanced high-powered headphone amp on the way.
(No specific date yet.... but soon.)
Thanks for the info Keith. One more question: When this amp come out will it replace A100 as the go-to planar amp? And if so will it be quiet enough for IEMs (assuming it has adjustable gain)?

Seems like you guys have your guns pointed directly at Jotunheim, which I'm not a fan of.:smile_phones:

Apr 18, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #304 of 759
This morning I had a little time to braze some 6mm solid brass spikes on the bottom of my A100 man what an up grade. I suppose you could drill
and tap some holes and replace the stock feet. Did not want to poke through and get some wires by accident. What I will say the amp was nice before now it is way nice so much weight and power in the music well worth doing.

Apr 18, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #305 of 759
The A-100 started out as a small integrated amp for driving speakers (the original Mini-X A-100 didn;t even have a headphone output).
When it became clear that people were using "speaker amps" (including the A-100) to run certain low efficiency planar headphones...
As well as certain high impedance headphones that need a lot of voltage...
And that many people preferred the way a lot of vintage equipment sounded (running their headphones from the main outputs via dropping resistors)...
We made a few modifications to allow the A-100 to fulfill those particular requirements.

As I said, I don't have all the details yet, but the new amp is going to be more like a "traditional high-end headphone amp".
It will have quite a lot of power - but not as much as the A-100 (it won't be designed to handle speakers).
I expect it to have adjustable or selectable gain, balanced and unbalanced outputs, and be able to drive any current planars and high impedance phones really well.
It will also be quiet enough to drive high-efficiency IEMs (and normal headphones) very well.

(Most modern planar headphones, while they benefit from a powerful amplifier, don't require as much power as certain few early "super inefficient" models.)

Thanks for the info Keith. One more question: When this amp come out will it replace A100 as the go-to planar amp? And if so will it be quiet enough for IEMs (assuming it has adjustable gain)?

Seems like you guys have your guns pointed directly at Jotunheim, which I'm not a fan of.:smile_phones:

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #307 of 759
The A-100 started out as a small integrated amp for driving speakers (the original Mini-X A-100 didn;t even have a headphone output).
When it became clear that people were using "speaker amps" (including the A-100) to run certain low efficiency planar headphones...
And that many people preferred the way a lot of vintage equipment sounded (running their headphones from the main outputs via dropping resistors)...
We made a few modifications to allow the A-100 to fulfill those particular requirements.

As I said, I don't have all the details yet, but the new amp is going to be more like a "traditional high-end headphone amp".
It will have quite a lot of power - but not as much as the A-100 (it won't be designed to handle speakers).
I expect it to have adjustable or selectable gain, balanced and unbalanced outputs, and be able to drive any current planars and high impedance phones really well.
It will also be quiet enough to drive high-efficiency IEMs (and normal headphones) very well.

(Most modern planar headphones, while they benefit from a powerful amplifier, don't require as much power as certain few early "super inefficient" models.)
Thanks again Keith, that sounds really lovely. If said amp's priced at around $400 I think I'm gonna grab one as soon as it comes out. I know there are a few amps out there that offers balanced connection but isn't internally balanced (like the massdrop THX AAA which converts balanced signal to single-ended then converts back), but since Jotunheim's fully differential and many don't like its sound signature I don't think anyone's in the position to judge a balanced amp based on whether its fully differential or not. That said tho hopefully the new Emotiva's fully differential :floatsmile: peace of mind.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #308 of 759

I am going to hope for 10-15 watt per channel balanced. At a low impedance of course.

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #309 of 759
I am going to hope for 10-15 watt per channel balanced. At a low impedance of course.
I hope not.......A100 at 33ohms can only do 12 watts/channel. Maybe your looking at A150?

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #310 of 759
This morning I had a little time to braze some 6mm solid brass spikes on the bottom of my A100 man what an up grade. I suppose you could drill
and tap some holes and replace the stock feet. Did not want to poke through and get some wires by accident. What I will say the amp was nice before now it is way nice so much weight and power in the music well worth doing.
Wow, that sounds fantastic! Can you tell a little more about what exactly has improved?

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #312 of 759
I hope not.......A100 at 33ohms can only do 12 watts/channel. Maybe your looking at A150?

I'm dreaming of Emotiva releasing a $400 solid state balanced.amp that would compete with the mjolnir, not the jotenheim. I suspect it will be more in line with the jot.

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #313 of 759
I'm dreaming of Emotiva releasing a $400 solid state balanced.amp that would compete with the mjolnir, not the jotenheim. I suspect it will be more in line with the jot.
That's my guess as well. Time for Emotiva to redefine 'no-compromise" & "do-it-all'!

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #314 of 759
Wow, that sounds fantastic! Can you tell a little more about what exactly has improved?
I guess the most I could say is just in evey way. I find putting better feet on most all audio products makes an improvement. Some times not for the best.
But mostly for the best. The feet were for speakers at first filed off the threads a little solder and a little solder on the amp a little heat to foot presto bonded.
The musical image is a lot more solid and you can hear into the music more clearly. A great little amp just a little better. Listening this morning the one word I would say is Clear the sound with the feet is super clear. clean super clear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back