Emmeline SR71-B vs iBasso PB2
Jun 8, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #46 of 76
I Recommend that you include a dac in your audio chain. Without going through either my Cambridge 840c or the algorhythm solo, the sound quality improvement may be limited.

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #47 of 76
i plugged the trigger on a sr71b the other day.  originally i wanted the cheaper ibasso pb2, but when i had to factor in new adapters for my balanced cables, the price difference wasnt that much. i already had adapters for the RSA from my protector :) i cant wait!

although i know not ideal at all, anyone know how it will do balanced out with the HD800??

Jun 8, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #48 of 76

Quote:
The HD800's sound much better paired with the SR-71B then the PB2 also.

From that picture doesn't look like you are using DAC but ipod -> sr71b -> hd800, and do you hear differences with or without your sr71b ?

Jun 8, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #49 of 76

Quote:
If I didn't hear a difference there would be no point using the 71B.

Thing is, I have the same setup like your except with lcd2 and hear no differences. :frowning2:
Just asking if you are on the same boat. 

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #50 of 76

Quote:
Just compared them and as the iPod can't really get a decent volume on these I was sure to listen at the same volume with the 71B and even then the difference was very clear so the answer is yes.

Alright, thanks ! as for me my sr71b with or without playing at the same volume level there is no differences.
I am going to send sr71b to Ray to evaluate.

Thanks for you time, appreciated.
D.

Jun 10, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #51 of 76
I just got my SR71B balanced out to my HD800 but single ended from my Y2 dac. i wasnt expecting greatness from the beginning but its just really as good as i thought it owuld be.

Quote:
The HD800 to me paired with the SR-71B balanced sounds amazing, much much better then anything i expected.
I took a leap of faith with the HD800 after hearing how the lack in bass and other things on the London meet thread where i was but did'nt get a chance to try it so after the meet i decided to buy the SR-71Bthat night after trying Severanth's one at the meet and compairing it with my PB2 which he also did and only received my HD800's the other day and i'm loving the combo.
The HD800's sound much better paired with the SR-71B then the PB2 also.

Jun 14, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #52 of 76

Quote:
I just got my SR71B balanced out to my HD800 but single ended from my Y2 dac. i wasnt expecting greatness from the beginning but its just really as good as i thought it owuld be.

Really ? you actually feel that you gain lot of improvement using sr71b ? so mine is definitely a broken one.
No matter I tried with different setup (same volume level) exact same sound, no changes in treble, bass, clarity, etc.

I sent my sr71b to Ray and hope he can guide me or at least tell me what I am doing wrong.

Or maybe I need to get a portable DAC...

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #53 of 76
bah sorry, i meant to say its not as great as i thought it would be.  with my jh16s they are awesome. keep in mind its a single ended source.  with both.  but with the hd800, i just wasnt impressed.  i havent tried any other portable amp with the hd800 but i prefer a slightly cheaper desktop amp (which is understandable but at 650+ and balanced, i was hoping for a little more). 

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #54 of 76

Quote:
bah sorry, i meant to say its not as great as i thought it would be.  with my jh16s they are awesome. keep in mind its a single ended source.  with both.  but with the hd800, i just wasnt impressed.  i havent tried any other portable amp with the hd800 but i prefer a slightly cheaper desktop amp (which is understandable but at 650+ and balanced, i was hoping for a little more). 

So are you saying that sr71b didn't really help your hd800, and you felt cheaper desktop amp is better than sr71b ? then that is what I felt too. :frowning2:

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #55 of 76

Quote:
So are you saying that sr71b didn't really help your hd800, and you felt cheaper desktop amp is better than sr71b ? then that is what I felt too. :frowning2:

im not saying it didnt do anything. im juts saying a well built 600$ desktop amp, for the most part, will od a better job. (in my opinion).  
if you bought it to drive headphonesl ike the hd800, he6 etc, then youll be disappointed.  it doesnt take them to their full potential,b ut it doesnt sound bad.  to me, it just sounds a little more closed in.

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #56 of 76

Quote:
Or maybe I need to get a portable DAC...

Just to offer an opinion....

As far as achieving high quality portable audio, I gave up on trying getting anything "high end" from an analog lineout on a portable device.  I've heard lots of line-outs and some are pretty decent, however nothing beats getting your signal from a dedicated portable external DAC such as a MicroDAC, iBasso D12 or DB-1 fed by a digital signal, or in the ipod world perhaps the Solo.  The sound quality boost by getting a digitial signal to these devices is very impressive....better soundstage, dynamics and realism.  

If you have very high expectations, you'll need to experiment beyond the 20 cent onboard DAC they build into most portable players. 

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #57 of 76

SR-71B is designed to drive all HD600-800 with outmost ease with great quality of sound reproduction using balanced output.
With those phones, you have to use a better source than iPod or any portable Digital player. Also you have to make sure your music is in lossless.
SR-71B was developed using $25,000.00 Bolder CD player as a source.
Ray Samuels

Quote:
im not saying it didnt do anything. im juts saying a well built 600$ desktop amp, for the most part, will od a better job. (in my opinion).  
if you bought it to drive headphonesl ike the hd800, he6 etc, then youll be disappointed.  it doesnt take them to their full potential,b ut it doesnt sound bad.  to me, it just sounds a little more closed in.

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #58 of 76

Quote:
SR-71B is designed to drive all HD600-800 with outmost ease with great quality of sound reproduction using balanced output.
With those phones, you have to use a better source than iPod or any portable Digital player. Also you have to make sure your music is in lossless.
SR-71B was developed using $25,000.00 Bolder CD player as a source.
Ray Samuels

Hi Ray,

Didn't know you are following this site regularly.

Anyways, looks like my problem is then the source, I am using iphone 4/ipod with ALO LOD 18awg cables, once I get back my sr71b from you, I will try with different source device to see the differences.

Thanks,
D.

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #59 of 76
How about lcd2 ? sr71b is suitable for lcd2 ? or just the bad combination that I don't feel an improvement. ?

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #60 of 76
This is why I opted to keep the Pelican in lieu of the Blackbird. There wasn't any noticeable difference using my sources (apart from the Blackbird having a slightly warmer take on things). Since I'm using it portable, my options for high end sources are limited and I won't get any added sound quality for the extra money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back