Emmeline SR71-B vs iBasso PB2
Jan 25, 2011 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

Canadian411

Headphoneus Supremus
Emmeline SR71-B vs iBasso PB2

Anyone have both of these 2 amps ? or have experienced with both ?

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 76
Definitely go with Ray Samuels - I have the SR71A and it is tremendous. The SR-71B can only be even better,

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 76
But it wasn't written to you now ... was it? Also - as an experienced Ray Samuels buyer - I am extremely happy with his products...there are many fans on this website who know of his products and can tell you they are well worth their reputation...of course, those who have more experience with the SR-71B can add their comments - but they didn't. In fact, no one had written on the thread. So I was trying to help...

Furthermore, the SR-71B belongs to the same family as the SR-71 and SR-71A and they have a sound signature that is very similar....so I think I can give some advice on the matter...

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 76
I understand your point of view. I am entitled to mine - I was in no way misleading anyone to think I had the SR-71B. I think there was nothing negative in that post. It is a shame that you need to get so serious about it. The sound quality of the SR-71B will be in the same league as its brother - the SR-71A - which is unbelievable...that is all I was saying...this isn't your thread.....and there are plenty of people who are reviewing the SR-71B on this website...plenty...so I can't imagine why they haven't added a post on here...

It would be difficult to find anyone who has both - so it does help to have someone offer advice who has one of them. But no one has done that either so far - there is absolutely no harm in adding my voice to the thread in the way that I did...

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 76
+1 parrots

ive owned both the PB1 (original) and the sr71b and ill tell you, for the money... ibasso is damn impressive.  that said, ray samuels is.... well ray samuels.  he makes great products, built well, etc

youre entitled to your opinion but if hes asking for advice between two products and you only tried one.. of course youre going to endorse that one and normally, ray's products would be tops, but these ibasso amps are special for the price.

its like you asking me for advice on what headphone to buy between two great ones without knowing anything else about your preferences or anything else, and i just tell you to go with one... it does nothing for you because i have no experience with the other one... what if that one suits you more?

Feb 2, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 76
I know at least one here who has both and posts regularly and I'm sure there are more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It would be difficult to find anyone who has both - so it does help to have someone offer advice who has one of them. But no one has done that either so far - there is absolutely no harm in adding my voice to the thread in the way that I did...

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 76
PB2 has more power then SR71-B.  So far I have not really compare them, but PB2 seem brighter and SR71-B darker.  PB2 is very enjoyable.  These are initial impression.  I don't plan to review them.  I am trying to find a potable amp to power my HE6.  PB2 is doing a very nice job.  I have my volume knob at about half way point.  Both amp are at around 50 hours mark.  I am guessing the SR71-B needs way more time to mature and the PB2 is not really mature as well, but at its current state, very enjoyable.

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 76
i dont think this question will ever be answered with a firm majority on either side.  both are great.  pb2 is cheaper, has a more rugged feeling connector and opamp rollable.  RSA has superior build quality, design and the benefit of a right angle connector but is more expensive.  oh the choices.....

Feb 5, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 76
May be one reason why there are so few feedback in this thread is because this thread is in the wrong forum.  This thread should really be in the portable amp forum.

Feb 10, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #10 of 76
Hi there, I am also quite interested to know the views of people that own both. I guess the market for these amps is relatively small to begin with, i have not been able to find a main thread for either of these amps (i am not counting skylabs review thread here). Could this thread be moved to the right subforum by a mod? Thanks Greetings, Anouk,

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #12 of 76
Hi, I dont use head-fis internal search function since head-fi has been upgraded. I am blind and quite frankly head-fi has become a lot more unaccessible and unfriendly after the changed. The thread search function was not ALL that useful to begin with but at least in the past i could search for threads started by a certain user or with certain words in the thread title, not anymore. Even so in the past google was the best way to go so I dont see why that should not work now. Anyway i will try that again. What about the separate sr71b thread though? Greetings, Anouk,

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #14 of 76
What will you be using either amp with, IEMs or over/on ear phones? I've had the SR-71, and for IEMs there was not much sonic difference than running the phones off of my source (iPod touch). I have a FiiO E7 (had to try it) and same-same results. It will make your IEMs much louder than can be tolerated, but that's a lot of coin for the SR-71 just to boost db level for IEMs. Now for over/on ear phones the SR-71 is an EXCELLENT investment. I have a set of AKG 171mkII that my iPod struggled to drive and the SR-71 improved on their performance ten fold. Much more so than the FiiO E9, that I power then with now - and the E9 is not portable.

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #15 of 76

Quote:
What will you be using either amp with, IEMs or over/on ear phones? I've had the SR-71, and for IEMs there was not much sonic difference than running the phones off of my source (iPod touch). I have a FiiO E7 (had to try it) and same-same results. It will make your IEMs much louder than can be tolerated, but that's a lot of coin for the SR-71 just to boost db level for IEMs. Now for over/on ear phones the SR-71 is an EXCELLENT investment. I have a set of AKG 171mkII that my iPod struggled to drive and the SR-71 improved on their performance ten fold. Much more so than the FiiO E9, that I power then with now - and the E9 is not portable.

Ooh - be careful --- I wrote my comments about the SR-71A - and some of the responses on this thread - were unfriendly. I have the SR-71A and recommended the sound signature of these BLACKBIRD amps that Ray makes - but because I actually haven't heard the SR-71B - they got all upset...

Only trying to help...but that wasn't OK. Furthermore, as you can plainly see - few people have both these amps to compare them properly - and this thread is the in the wrong forum section...

Nevertheless - you may get a slating on here....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back