Emmeline II "The Raptor"
Apr 19, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #106 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
How dare you refer to the Rangers with that tone, the Islanders fine, but not the RANGERS. No ms-pro for you.

hmm cold hearted lawyer...but don't you wanna see what I am going to get sent to you????

Apr 19, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #107 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
Even though not directly advertised, the raptor can function as a preamp, it is powerful enough and in fact it sounds quite good, with at least 8 ohm speakers I believe...

Quote:

Ryan, how would you use the Raptor as a preamp? There are two inputs but no outputs. If you used the first input with the selector switch up, would the second set of inputs be the output to an amp? Sorry, I am just trying to figure out how this would work.

recstar24, I was a bit confused by that post, too. And if it can be used as a preamp, what does the impedance of the speakers have to do with that? Wouldn't that be something for the amp between the preamp and speakers to deal with?

Apr 19, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #108 of 145
I think he just means using it as a preamp by getting a mini to RCA cable and running the headphone out to a power amp.

Apr 19, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #110 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I think he just means using it as a preamp by getting a mini to RCA cable and running the headphone out to a power amp.

I guess that makes more sense than my guess at a theory. Wouldn't that make any headphone amp a preamp. Or doesn't that really mean that any headphone amp that doesn't have true outputs really isn't a preamp? Hey, I'm a lawyer, not an electrical engineer.

Apr 19, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #111 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
hmm cold hearted lawyer...but don't you wanna see what I am going to get sent to you????

I never said I couldn't be bribed, Go Redwings!

Apr 19, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #112 of 145
Quote:

I guess that makes more sense than my guess at a theory. Wouldn't that make any headphone amp a preamp. Or doesn't that really mean that any headphone amp that doesn't have true outputs really isn't a preamp? Hey, I'm a lawyer, not an electrical engineer.

I wonder if ray could put a pre-amp out. Could you imagining it hooked up to 33h ML reference monoblocks??? That would be mega "dinky".

Tyrion>Could you give me your address and email address please?
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #113 of 145
Well...let's sort this out. Isn't the job of a preamp, to take a switchable amount of inputs, and cleanly pass along the sound, with a slight bit of amplification. If a headphone amp puts out between 500-900 milliwatts, and it controlled by a volume switch, which a dedicated amp doesn't it have, couldn't the headphone out, be used as a preamp with a 1/4" to RCA cable?
Yes it can. But it must be worthy. It has to be filtered and rectified properly, and quality components have to be used, as not to detract from the original sources output.

EDIT: I just looked up Conrad Johnson and Mark Levinson's preamps spec, and I see their output is between 6 and 12 volts RMS. So at less than a watt, although headphone amps have preamp possibilities, the output is small in relation to it's bigger brothers.

Also I apologize for the Red Wings remarks, they have been more dominant in the sport, than the NY teams...I just was looking for a dig to Mike for his "dinky" comment, but without researching the facts, it backfired on me. I'm a bad boy, and I humbly put my tail between my legs. However, had there been a season this year, I'm sure the 3 NY (if you count the Devils), would have come out 1,2,3, and no one can prove me wrong, so there...hah!

Apr 19, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #114 of 145
The Raptor's headphone jack with an adaptor 1/4"-RCA will serve very well & with great tonal characteristics as a pre-amp, though it has a lot of gain which means you have to put the volume real down or get a low mue input tube to replace the medium mue "gain" 12AU7.
Ray Samuels

Apr 20, 2005 at 8:18 AM Post #115 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox

LAFF this is exactly how I use my Solo to power my crappy Sony reciever with some preamp goodness! My Wharfdales thank me!

Apr 23, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #117 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by ifanpayne
Has anyone listened to both the The Raptor and Earmax Pro? Any thoughts on the comparison?

I am sending a Raptor to agile_one. I believe he has the pro or the standard. He should have some comments late next week.

May 7, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #119 of 145
Ray indicated mine should be finishing today and then its 4 days of burn in. I get to count the days now. I am going to pick it up and at the same time have Ray make the headphone update to my Stealth. It will be interesting to compare them.

May 7, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #120 of 145
I would like to mention to all those who are waiting for the second batch of next 10 Raptors that your wait is over. They will start shipping this Monday-Wednesday.
Thanks for your patiance...
Ray Samuels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back