EMM Labs DAC2X slays all comers - and wallets .....
Jan 27, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #61 of 125
Quote:
Thanks for your insights Smeckles. I'm considering the CD-77.1 and the DAC2X (among a few others) and would like to hear more about your impressions of these two units: the CD-77 & DAC2X in particular.

Which sounds more "analog"? I think I know the answer to this already, but I'd like your take on it.

How about musicality?

Any thoughts on 3 dimensionality and soundstage between the two?

How about detail retrieval? I suspect they're both highly resolving with the nod possibly going to EMM, but I'd like your take on it.

Were your comparisons based on redbook vs redbook or redbook vs DSD? In your opinion does it matter? I'm of the opinion at this time that well recorded redbook can rival or well recorded DSD provided they are played back on equally well implemented systems using the same mastering. Further, I think the general consensus is that Redbook performs best on TDA1541A implementations, while there are many more opinions for playback of high res material.

When you were comparing them, were you using tube or ss amplification?

Thanks again, and I apologize for barraging you with questions (feel free to pass on any of them if you feel your recollection too vague, any insight you can provide would be helpful).

I have a chance to listen to these two units, but only in very different systems.

If I can chip in a few things - I think the EMM brings more of that analog feeling to the music. Having said that I have a vinyl set up as well and for me while PCM material is great it's the DSD material that really shines and gets much closer to analog. Somehow PCM is not able to do. While the difference between PCM 44 vs. 192khz material is one of better dimensionality, noise etc...DSD just seems more "organic" and "real". Amplification was SS all the way through.

On your comment about redbook rivaling DSD - no way!

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #62 of 125
Quote:

If I can chip in a few things - I think the EMM brings more of that analog feeling to the music. Having said that I have a vinyl set up as well and for me while PCM material is great it's the DSD material that really shines and gets much closer to analog. Somehow PCM is not able to do. While the difference between PCM 44 vs. 192khz material is one of better dimensionality, noise etc...DSD just seems more "organic" and "real". Amplification was SS all the way through.

On your comment about redbook rivaling DSD - no way!

Agreed, there's a certain organic quality to DSD recordings that's hard to explain when contrasting to good PCM. I've heard that this is attributable in large part to the filtering done during recording, and then the playback filtering implemented during playback. Perhaps it's it less heavy handed than PCM? I can't say.

Re: Redbook; if you get a chance to hear well recorded Redbook over a valve rectified TDA1541A DAC implementation, it might surprise you. A few years back I listened to a Zanden 5000, which I believe has the highest end double crown S-2 version of this chip, and it was a unforgettable; some of the most natural sounding digital I've ever heard. What I was told was unlike Delta Sigma DACs, the TDA1541 filtering is not baked into the chip (which would be more cost effective, but purportedly not as good), so the filter implementation can be "over-engineered".

Apr 17, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #63 of 125
Hello guys. Revival of an old thread. Since DA2 is not in my budget range, I am thinking to upgrade from my old EMM Labs CDSAse to DAC 2X v2 + Aurender N10 (second hand for both). Besides the convenience of being able to input sound to the DAC from many more sources (the CDSA can only output), anyone that maybe heard both and knows how much of a SQ upgrade would be ?

Apr 17, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #64 of 125
Could I suggest Linn given your interest in network front end + DAC? Buy one device and be done for 10yrs+

I started with Klimax DS/0 10yrs ago which I still enjoy immensely in my headphone system. My latest Linn is Akurate DS/3 Katalyst - the sound is unreal. It’s detailed, dynamic, spacious, analogue, natural, coherent all with strong rhythm - I guess it sounds pretty real is what I am trying to say.

The old DS also improved quiet a bit over the last 10yrs with constant firmware upgrades. I was blown away 10yrs ago and again more recently with Katalyst.

I loved EMM when SACD was still a thing.

May 15, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #65 of 125
DAC2X v2 on its way now. Streamer will be added later. For now I will probably use my Macbook and the CDSA as a transport.

Linn doesn’t seem to be so popular among enthusiasts and don’t know why. Well regarded Streamers are Aurender, Auralic, Melco, CAD, Lumin, Innuos, Antipodes, Taiko.

May 15, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #66 of 125
DAC2X v2 on its way now. Streamer will be added later. For now I will probably use my Macbook and the CDSA as a transport.

Linn doesn’t seem to be so popular among enthusiasts and don’t know why. Well regarded Streamers are Aurender, Auralic, Melco, CAD, Lumin, Innuos, Antipodes, Taiko.
Well, considering Linn got out of the US market for a few years I am not surprised if only a handful of people have heard the Linn range. I am however a bit shocked at people buying dCS and other 5k+ DACs without at least a dealer audition.

I recall when I audited a whole bunch of gear back in the days I was shocked at realizing how many highly sought after gear I did not like. dCS and Esoteric, among others, fall into highly sought after but I don’t like category - they have similar sound signature. I also don’t care for Berkeley Audio, PS Audio and Bricasti. There are others I thought I would hate for sure but liked quite a bit, including Wilson Audio and ATC.

EMM and Playback Design stacks were among the gear I liked but I was getting out of physical media so they were not a good fit.

In terms of streaming I think it’s a mistake to separate the streamer from the DAC unless they are designed to work together with carefully designed connectors and cables.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #68 of 125

I had used Dac2 from 2000 to 2008 before switching to Dave and HMS and still keep it as reserve.

It is a very musical Dac with nice texture and powerful bass.

Enjoy it!

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #69 of 125
I would not have thought someone with EMM stack could move to Dave and be happy. I have not heard Dave so perhaps it’s sonic signature is different from Hugo/Hugo2. I love the lower range Hugo/Hugo2 as a portable solution but they don’t come close to high end.

May 15, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #70 of 125
I would not have thought someone with EMM stack could move to Dave and be happy. I have not heard Dave so perhaps it’s sonic signature is different from Hugo/Hugo2. I love the lower range Hugo/Hugo2 as a portable solution but they don’t come close to high end.
While Emmlab Dac2 sounds warm, Dave and Hms sound more transparent with deeper soundstage..

I had a change of air, but keep Dac2 as reserve.

There is no comparison between Hugo2 and top model Dave and HMs combo.

May 15, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #71 of 125
While Emmlab Dac2 sounds warm, Dave and Hms sound more transparent with deeper soundstage..

I had a change of air, but keep Dac2 as reserve.

There is no comparison between Hugo2 and top model Dave and HMs combo.
Well, this proves again you don't know what a gear sounds like until you have listened to it. I guess same would be true with Linn if someone has only heard Majik and not the more expensive models.

May 16, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #72 of 125
You forgot the Swiss! Nagra and CH Precision are also well acclaimed.

Are u sure these 2 make streamers ? From what I know they only do DACs and other power conponents !

Feb 2, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #73 of 125
Finally pulled the trigger on a DAC2x after gawking at it for almost a decade - I am patient

Feb 4, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #74 of 125
A decade later and still sounds great - sounds just right actually. Emm Labs definitely got the chops and easy folks to talk to as well.

I got a chuckle when I heard Steve Gutenberg say MA-1 ("budget" version of the DAC2X) sounded like music while Denafrips Terminator sounded like digital music.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #75 of 125
Okay, it appears that I am the only one here with this dac. Well worth it to buy used and get it updated and re certified by Emm Labs at a very reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back