Electrostats : How to start?
May 14, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #46 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you need to keep the difference in mind.
Pro bias 'phones are backwards compatible with Normal bias amplifiers/energizers/transformers. They will work, even if not to their max. Normal bias 'phones will not work with Pro bias amplifiers/energizers/transformers. So in short you need a matching 'phone and amplifier/energizer/transformer.

I highly recommend you read the Wikipedia article: Stax Earspeakers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You sell yourself short!
wink_face.gif

At the moment wading through the Stax thread... I guess I'll get about finished before the end of the month if it doesn't grow too much more (hoping)! But great read so far.

May 15, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #47 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaval /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me start by saying that only once have I heard an electrostat phone. It was early in my "phile" career. I only remember it was a Stax system and I have no idea what model was. I remember though it sounded wonderful. However, I was just starting out on audio gear and all high end was always beautiful and exhilarating as I had very little references at the time other than current 80s mid-fi stuff.

So, exactly what should I be looking for as an entrance into stats here? I have no knowledge of a retailer where I live of carrying anything related to this so it's up with you guys to lead me on
redface.gif

I have no budget at the moment, but I'm looking into an entry level system to get my feet wet. Ideally, a setup I can unload later on the FS forum in case it was not at all what I had figured out off my imagination.

Besides the cans, I just realized you actually need an amplifier for these. I've read here about people running stats from anything from a Firestone (if k1000 is to be considered a stat phone) to really exotic stuff through mid-fi integrated integrated amps. What's the deal here also?

The kind of sound signature I'm looking into, broadly, is something that's far off from dynamics: blazing speed, airiness and detail. No specif music genre since I largely fluctuate between types of music: on the same day I can be listening to metal and suddenly I grab a Wagner or Haendel piece and finish off with Wilco.

You should start with the Stax Threads reading. Attentively and consecutively. Don't miss ANYTHING!
o2smile.gif

May 15, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #48 of 95
Quote:

You sell yourself short!
wink_face.gif

At the moment wading through the Stax thread... I guess I'll get about finished before the end of the month if it doesn't grow too much more (hoping)! But great read so far.

That post is outdated, 'phones are out of production and new ones have been released, while the Wikipedia article should be up-to-date. Still may be useful though.
o2smile.gif

May 16, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #49 of 95
I bought my Lambda Nova Signatures for $220 by trolling Yahoo Auctions every day until a pair showed up. They have new pads and foam too. Best headphone score I've ever made, period.

May 17, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #50 of 95
STAX SR-LAMBDA + STAX SRD-7SB

Hope these will be the beginning of something beautiful
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #51 of 95
Quote:

STAX SR-LAMBDA + STAX SRD-7SB

Hope these will be the beginning of something beautiful
biggrin.gif

Hope you like yours as much as I'm liking mine. I just got my Lambda and SRD-7SB a few days ago as well.

May 18, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #52 of 95
Cool!
I see your running them through a T amp. Have you compared the 7SB with other amps?
I'm not yet sure what I'm going to do. I will mos certainly test through the Jadis, which probably is a bit overkill; besides, this little beast is on a room where I mostly listen to loudpseakers... let's see if by the end of the week I already have the new toy around
tongue.gif

May 18, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #53 of 95
hi xaval, may I ask for the lambda + srd7sb comparison against HD600?

I downgraded from lambda pro to HD600 just to found out that my speaker outperform it very far so I'm thinking of going stax again if I have the munny, this time normal bias one hopefully

May 18, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #54 of 95
Hi, no probs with the review.

However, I'm yet to receive these cans since I won the bidding only a few hours ago and there's quite a bit of terrain to cover until they popup at the door mat!

This is my first dip into stats so I'm not really aware of what to expect
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #55 of 95
Damn STAX threads... whenever they come up I start looking through options on buying some.

May 18, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #56 of 95
I fell in love with estats when I heard the HE60 at meet and over the years have proceeded to move up the chain. The closest I have come to owning a dynamic rig was the K340. I also enjoy all types of music and find estats handle all music equally well.

I would recommend the Sr-X mk III. If you already have the speaker amps it would most likely be the cheapest 'high-end' option. They were top of the line phones in the 70s and still sound good. The Sr-X are different than the lambdas, more fun but still accurate to the high bass/low mid range. I love these phones; they were my first estat and they are toe tappers. I don't know how much they cost now, but I paid $80 for mine.

If you have more money, the ESP950s are good phones. The energizer they come with is passable and the koss warranty means you will never have to worry if they break. They have more bass and more detail than the Sr-X and are solid step up. You can also rewire/adapt them to stax amps and they will scale nicely. Out of my KGSS, they sounded quite good with more body and control.

May 18, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #57 of 95
Im also thinking of stats something close to HE60. Would the ESP950 or 303/202/404 be a "budget" HE60. I really liked the HE60's openness, soundstage, smoothness, precision imaging and effortless sound. I did try some old stats at a meet but do not remember their models, they didnt impress me as much as the HE60.

May 18, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #59 of 95
Running the esp950 @ 620v bias makes them sound comparable to the he60, so it really is amp dependent, but, a strong recommendation for my family and friends wanting he60 'quality'.

May 19, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #60 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Running the esp950 @ 620v bias makes them sound comparable to the he60, so it really is amp dependent, but, a strong recommendation for my family and friends wanting he60 'quality'.

Don't forget the re-cable to get rid of the poopy stock Koss cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back