Electrostatic Mini-Meet
Sep 1, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #61 of 69
Any Sunday in September, the usual gang is welcome to come over and do some listening.
No on has to bring anything (except for music and libations).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
"The Best Audio System In The World".....

{chuckle}

EMM Labs CDSD/DCC2 !!!!! [...are you forming an emm society with Tom?]

Aaron!!!!! When are you inviting your golden-eared buddies to share in your latest leap in the quest for perfection? (I'll bring the toasting libation ... if it's not too steep...) ..... or are you waiting for HE90/HEV90 for the next ascent?

orphsmile.gif

Sep 5, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #62 of 69
Sep 5, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #63 of 69
Sep 5, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #64 of 69
Peer pressure?
blink.gif
I thought your wallet was immune to that Jahn?

Sep 5, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #65 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Peer pressure?
blink.gif
I thought your wallet was immune to that Jahn?

i thought so too! but i just went home and picked up a Guild D4-12 string guitar I don't use anymore, and thought I could sell it for a good price, so i knew cash was coming my way - so i jumped the gun! ARGH! tomorrow i better put up picks of this guitar and post it ASAP!

Sep 6, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #66 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
CURSE THIS THREAD!

Let's just say that pretty soon I'll be able to see if this review is accurate-

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3542

I heard the Lambda Pros at this meet, and while I liked them alot more than some of the more expensive & newer e-stats, they are not better than the Grado HP-1000's (or at least my HP2's w/RS-1 drivers in them).

The Lambda's are very natural sounding, and clear. But even the Grado's have better soundstage than the Lambda's, which have a noticibly compressed soundstage (yes, the Grado's have better soundstage). While the old Staxes are a very nice headphone for the money, that qualifier is very much a necessity. The HP-1000's & RS-1's are allround better 'phones, imo.

You already own some of the best transducers ever made. Especially if $$ are limited, you should be looking at other parts of your system to improve on your Grado's, such as your source, amp, or even IC's. Of course, crappy 80's recordings won't sound good out of anything
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 6, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #67 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
I heard the Lambda Pros at this meet, and while I liked them alot more than some of the more expensive & newer e-stats, they are not better than the Grado HP-1000's (or at least my HP2's w/RS-1 drivers in them).

The Lambda's are very natural sounding, and clear. But even the Grado's have better soundstage than the Lambda's, which have a noticibly compressed soundstage (yes, the Grado's have better soundstage). While the old Staxes are a very nice headphone for the money, that qualifier is very much a necessity. The HP-1000's & RS-1's are allround better 'phones, imo.

You already own some of the best transducers ever made. Especially if $$ are limited, you should be looking at other parts of your system to improve on your Grado's, such as your source, amp, or even IC's. Of course, crappy 80's recordings won't sound good out of anything
evil_smiley.gif

But like LIKE crappy 80's recordings!
icon10.gif
I'm actually afraid to touch my source/ic/amp/can combo right now, because everything's just right to my ears. Consider the electrostat thing a flavor can, like the Darth Beyers are. It's almost like the HP1000 is the happy medium, with the dirty beyers on one shoulder, and the clean stax on the other. Most of the time you're going to just use the HP2, but occassionally you want to swing on either side of the spectrum! Plus, since the SRM-1 has a loop out so I can just keep both amps plugged into the 0404 and cranking at full speed.

But you're probably right - if I ever have to get rid of a can, it sure won't be the HP2.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #68 of 69
If you want to hear SOUNDSTAGE, get the matching Stax far field diffuser. WALL to WALL. That is why stax went to Germany and had them designed jointly and FAR FIELD and diffussed is what its all about! OK, I will bring the rare beast to the next get together.
Dan

Sep 9, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #69 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyandelyse
If you want to hear SOUNDSTAGE, get the matching Stax far field diffuser. WALL to WALL. That is why stax went to Germany and had them designed jointly and FAR FIELD and diffussed is what its all about! OK, I will bring the rare beast to the next get together.
Dan

i found that diffuser on german ebay but it's already out of my price range - so i just got a DAC instead lol. i figure the stax soundstage can't be as bad as grado, so i'm not going to be disappointed, hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back