Electronica Essentials
Mar 9, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #61 of 112
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
This is probably because "Techno" is a type of electronic music that most people can identify easily. When I think electronica, I think any electronic music...I must not be aware of any more precise definition it has. If I were looking for techno, I would post or search a thread for techno...it is more descriptive. I have no idea of what genre the music I talked about it, but Mouse on Mars is not ambient at all, they are something much more likely to be played in a club...I don't think I would call them techno though...as for the rest of the categories, I think they are unknown to all but the most involved in this type of music. Many people have no idea how to describe what this music is other than by stating the band name or saying it is "electronica" or "electronic music". If you want something more specific, try adding a modifier: upbeat electronica, chill electronica or something like that. There is no reason to tell people who like a different aspect of electronica to go away in favor of people who like faster or harder stuff -- it is just a semantic problem. As I said earlier, if you want to find a thread of recommendations for that type of music, just make a new thread and call it "Techno and House Music Essentials".

I wasn't telling them to go away.
redface.gif

Nor was I saying you weren't using the right word to describe the type of music
you listen to. I was only stating that most people wrongly call whatever sounds
the slightest bit electronic 'techno'. Or vice-versa. I agree that Mouse on Mars
is not techno, it definitly is not. It's more experimental techno on the IDM side.
But then again no one word can describe an artist, and if an artist falls under
a specific category of music genre, I have the tendency to call this a
boring producer. I like when an artist can surprise his listeners by innovating and
creating original stuff.

By 'people calling whatever sounds electronic `techno`' I meant, most people
don't even know what techno is. You ask them to name a track and they'll
unmistakingly name either Darude or Kylie Minogue or another cheesy artist
like that. I'm very surprised when I hear someone say Dave Clarke, Chris Liebing, Anthony Rother, Andreas Kraemer, Robert Hood, Slam,
Terrence Fixmer, etc . . . Then again there are so many sub-genres falling
under the 'Techno' category.

Mar 9, 2003 at 2:37 AM Post #62 of 112
Quote:

Originally posted by Ohoen
Hell, I like hard and progressive house as much as the next guy. I just don't think there's that much to talk about with that genre. If you're a noob go pick up a global underground comp. or something and pick and choose what you like. Seems to me all the best stuff just comes out in single form so it's either go the compilation root or start racking up the 12inchers. And that's not a complaint, my 12" stack is getting pretty tall.

Hello, fellow Quebecker
biggrin.gif

Good to see there are some proghouse enthusiasts on the board here.
I don't think you're giving the GU series a lot of credits when you say that
noobs should start with a disc from this serie. I personally think it's a
good series (owning every one of the discs myself..
wink.gif
). Not every one of
them is excellent but they have their good ones. I agree with you when
you say the best way to discover this type of music is by listening to vinyls
though.. absolutely right
tongue.gif
. I too have quite a lot of vinyls (but most of
them on mp3 though, they're too expensive here). What are some of
your favorite artists/groups? Tracks? I like a lot of stuff but to name a
few .. 16B, Chris Fortier, Hybrid, Moshic & Zidane, James Holden (!!remixes!!)
and a whole lot more..

Oh and by Hard House.. do you mean (old) Picotto & company??!
eek.gif

Mar 10, 2003 at 12:12 AM Post #63 of 112
Rock on Quebec! When I suggest GU stuff for noobs it's not because I think it's mediocre, just the opposite. I think it's great but also very enjoyable right away. I like a lot of the same stuff you do. I'm listening to Black Sky/Shakespeare's Sister right now and it's too good to miss. Je m'excuse (for my french also, I've only been here a couple years).

Mar 21, 2003 at 3:51 AM Post #64 of 112
Some of my favorites:
  1. Robert Rich (especially A Troubled Resting Place, Fissures [with Alio Die], Trances and Drones)
  2. Steve Roach (both his pure drift stuff like Darkest Before Dawn and his desert ambient stuff like Origins and Artifacts)
  3. Lustmord (Heresy and The Place Where the Black Stars Hang: dark ambient pioneer)
  4. Biosphere Substrata (not as dark as Lustmord, but...)
  5. Vidna Obmana (pretty much anything)
  6. Thomas Köner (anything, minimal dark abience)
  7. Global Communication 76:14
  8. Amon Tobin (any and everything)

Then there's my trip-hop triumvirate (Massive Attack Mezzanine, Tricky Maxinquaye, Portishead Dummy), which is not pure electronica, but...

Mar 29, 2003 at 4:53 AM Post #65 of 112
I 2nd Euphoria: Ibiza (but NOT Ibiza 2)

Mellow: Delerium - Karma
Kraftwerk - The Model (good compilation album)

Industrial: Front Line Assembly - Tactical Neural Implant

Techno: Prodigy - Music for the Jilted Generation
The Crystal Method - Vegas
St. John - Blast the Speakers (not audiophile friendly, but OMG this thing jams from track 6 on).

Mar 29, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #66 of 112
Quote:

Originally posted by Cyberius
I 2nd Euphoria: Ibiza (but NOT Ibiza 2)

Mellow: Delerium - Karma
Kraftwerk - The Model (good compilation album)

Industrial: Front Line Assembly - Tactical Neural Implant

Techno: Prodigy - Music for the Jilted Generation
The Crystal Method - Vegas
St. John - Blast the Speakers (not audiophile friendly, but OMG this thing jams from track 6 on).

"Essentials"? Jesus God, no.

Ibiza? Crystal Method? Oldschool crappy Prodigy (which I admit I love, but purely for nostalgic value)?

If you're trying to show someone the essentials of electronic music that have a broad appeal that a jazz, rock, or classical fan would enjoy, these are definitely not the best choices.

I mean, that's like someone asking "What's rock and roll?" and responding "Stryper, man! **** yeah! Whitesnake! Rock on!"

- Chris

Mar 29, 2003 at 5:12 AM Post #67 of 112
Just some suggestions:

The Black Dog - Bytes (music for robots to dance to, very beautiful)

Dj Food- Kaleidoscope ( jazzy, abstract, pretty good recording)

Dj Shadow- Endtroducing (Hip Hop, Trip Hop, Trippy ****)

The KLF- Chill Out! ( the one that started the current ambient scene)

If you like DANCE music check out THE PERFECT BEATS VOL 1-4
old school hip hop, house, electro.

Mar 29, 2003 at 5:19 AM Post #68 of 112
Crap I forgot
Skylab- #1
See if you can get your hands on early orb singles like little fluffy clouds, Blue Room (44 minute version), Towers of Dub (phat basslines, dope skankin beat). If anyone wants to trade ORB stuff let me know I have a pretty good collection of albums, singles, promos and mp3's. I also have an Alex Patterson live mix mp3 about 70 minutes long. Maybe we should start a trade forum?

Mar 29, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #69 of 112
Sorry one more suggestion
Tranquility Bass- Let the Freak FLag FLy
one of the most interesting albums ive ever heard. blend of folk, psychedelia, and electronic music. Check out Fatboy Slims remix of LA, LA LA. Also check out Fatboy Slims remix of E.V.A. I responded to a postcard in a portishead cd and got a London Records sampler with some hot joints on it.

The SKylab suggestion from above is very trippy electronica.

Mar 29, 2003 at 5:20 PM Post #70 of 112
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
"Essentials"? Jesus God, no.

Minya the troll, who has contributed nothing but a few bashings to other peoples posts on this thread.

The fact you recognize 10 year old electronica albums to comment on them says alot.

Most electronica is disposable music. You buy it, it's emotionally devoid and soul-less, and 2 weeks later you already forget the name and artist and done already hocked it at the used CD store.

Prodigy (techno) - Was the peak of the style, was all downhill from here, thus it's definitive.

Crystal Method (trance) - ditto.

Frontline T.N.I. - Most Electo-Industrial is a rip-off of this one

Kraftwerk - Most Electronica w/ a beat is a rip-off of these guys

Mar 29, 2003 at 5:25 PM Post #71 of 112
Quote:

Originally posted by Cyberius
Minya the troll, who has contributed nothing but a few bashings to other peoples posts on this thread.

The fact you recognize 10 year old electronica albums to comment on them says alot.

Most electronica is disposable music. You buy it, it's emotionally devoid and soul-less, and 2 weeks later you already forget the name and artist and done already hocked it at the used CD store.

Haha.... riiiiiiiiiight. Oooooookay.

- Chris, the troll

Mar 29, 2003 at 6:37 PM Post #72 of 112
Quote:

Originally posted by beastie
are most of the suggestions you guys make old?

Heh, because we're old!
wink.gif

I'd proabbly know some of these new names if I didn't live were I do - small town American record stores (oops! Music stores..) don't have much in the way of non-country/pop40 music.

This is a great thread for bringing up all these new names - Thanx!!

Back to my old-tyme pics:

I didn't see Larry Fast AKA Synergy mentioned in this thread. Back in the day, it took an entire building full of equipment to make those sounds.
From 1976's "Sequencer" comes the liner notes:

"Don't be misled by your ears. This record contains material recorder soley with the electronic synthesizer equipment mentioned. No conventional instrumentation or sound effects were used.

P.S. Lyric sheet not enclosed - and still no guitars!"

Ah, lost analog synths.. nowadays a synth is conventional instrumentaion!

My two favorite Tangerine Dream pieces are "Stratosfear" (that's how it's spelled - honest) from 1976 and "Ziet" from 1972.

"Ziet" (it's German for 'time') is

s o o o o o o o s l o o o o o o w . . . . . but I love it.

I heartily reccomend Klaus Schulze's "Transfer" from 1981.

Another ex-TD member, Edgar Froese put out some cool solo stuff. Try "Stuntman" from '79

Last (and not quite elctronica but what the hell..) is "My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts" by David Byrne and Brian Eno, circa 1981. Very cool record - wayyyy ahead of it's time.

old,
erix

P.S. I had the cover of Jarre's "Oxygene" painted on the back of my black leater jacket during my punk phase.

Mar 29, 2003 at 11:23 PM Post #74 of 112
which ones? It would help other people narrow it down.

Mar 29, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #75 of 112
Bola - Soup
Oval - Dok
Pole - 3
Squarepusher - Hard Normal Daddy
Orbital - In Sides
Mouse on Mars - Iaora Tahiti
Mouse on Mars - Vulvaland
Plaid - Rest Proof Clockwork
Amon Tobin - Supermodified
Boards of Canada - MHTRTC (I think i heard about them here first)
Boards of Canada - Twoism
Brian Eno - ambient #4: on land
Global Communication - 76:14
Kraftwerk - The Model

And just yesterday:

Front Line Assembly - Tactical Neural Implant
The Black Dog - Bytes
Dj Shadow- Endtroducing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back