Electronica Essentials
Jun 19, 2003 at 3:01 AM Post #92 of 112
I have an OK electronica (mostly idm) collection.

Funckarma - the next Autechre, definetely buy their CD. right now.
Autechre - anything, basically
Jega - geometry - your bread and butter idm.
Matmos - A chance to cut is a chance to cure - Oh yeah, read the cd pamphlet, and it will all make sense. - first song's name is liposuction, last is california rhinoplasty.....
Kid606 - Now that's some messed up stuff. Only buy if you can handle seemingly random clicks with some peaceful sin waves in the background. You definitely need some pretty good headphones or outstanding speakers to listen tot his.
Sven Vaeth - if you want some new old school german techno, this is what you want
Kraftwerk - the pioneers
Steve Stoll - if you want some really boring trance.
Lekebusch - if you want some good trance
Tresor vol. 8 - essential trance
Atlon Inc. - some very nice urban trance.
Perlon - for some very fat House
Tabla Beat Science - Tablas!
Plaid - Jazzy techno.......an acquired taste
Aphex Twin - if you really want it, just buy drukqs and some of his older stuff.
I second the Digweed - very good
The Orb is OK - some nice techno but it's more of an in-between....you like it if you're just getting into techno.

Actually, just buy any Warp record and you'll be good for IDM.
Buy almost any tresor (terrance dixon, etc) and you'll have high-quality trance.

Sorry if anyone posted these before....

Jun 19, 2003 at 5:28 AM Post #94 of 112
kid606.....I don't really like it, but had to add it anyways...
what's not to like about Funckarma? Minimal yet good. And cheap
Oh...and I have a couple other additions
Hakan Libdo - some decent house.
Squarepusher (already posted)
Console - not everyone like them, fairly corny
Two Lone Swordsman - great remixes of their songs are all over.
Gescom - IDM....fairly classic, a little boring for IDM.

Mar 12, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #95 of 112
Sure it's all relative, but IMO an "essential" electronica album should have contributed something lasting or unique to the genre, test the limits of the genre, or question the tenability of the genre.

It would be great to hear what each of you think your choicest records have contributed that make them indeed essential electronica.

No right or wrong answers, but some titles are more readily recognizable than others. Easier to see why Brian Eno's Ambient records are a landmark than to see how anything by Funki Porcini is essential. Which doesn't mean that FP is not really good and worth hearing.

Another example, Autechre's first three records define a moment in the development of the genre as we now know it (call it the Warp moment), but after that it's hard to see what Two Lone Swordsmen add that is essential. Which is not to say that TLS are not good or that Andrew Weatherall/Sabres of Paradise don't have their moments of brilliance.

Mar 12, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #96 of 112
If you are into progressive house I would highly recommend James Holden Balance 005 ...... CD 1 is truly great stuff

Quote:

Originally posted by Ohoen
Hell, I like hard and progressive house as much as the next guy. I just don't think there's that much to talk about with that genre. If you're a noob go pick up a global underground comp. or something and pick and choose what you like. Seems to me all the best stuff just comes out in single form so it's either go the compilation root or start racking up the 12inchers. And that's not a complaint, my 12" stack is getting pretty tall.

Mar 12, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #98 of 112
Add K&D The Session to the list.
biggrin.gif

oh.. Bent 'Fabriclive.11' and Junkie XL.

Mar 12, 2004 at 1:15 PM Post #99 of 112
Quote:

Originally posted by oosoo
Sure it's all relative, but IMO an "essential" electronica album should have contributed something lasting or unique to the genre, test the limits of the genre, or question the tenability of the genre.

It would be great to hear what each of you think your choicest records have contributed that make them indeed essential electronica.

No right or wrong answers, but some titles are more readily recognizable than others. Easier to see why Brian Eno's Ambient records are a landmark than to see how anything by Funki Porcini is essential. Which doesn't mean that FP is not really good and worth hearing.

Another example, Autechre's first three records define a moment in the development of the genre as we now know it (call it the Warp moment), but after that it's hard to see what Two Lone Swordsmen add that is essential. Which is not to say that TLS are not good or that Andrew Weatherall/Sabres of Paradise don't have their moments of brilliance.

I agree. I think Coil's LOVE'S SECRET DOMAIN fits your criteria as being "essential" - while Meat Beat Manifesto's STORM THE STUDIO might not be quite as essential, but it's still one of my favorites..

-jar

Mar 13, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #100 of 112
Quote:

Originally posted by joedogg
If you are into progressive house I would highly recommend James Holden Balance 005 ...... CD 1 is truly great stuff

I love the JH tracks that I have, they pop up often when I'm bedroom djing. I'll check this out, thanks for the suggestion.

Mar 13, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #101 of 112
Quote:

Originally posted by Masonjar
I think Coil's LOVE'S SECRET DOMAIN fits your criteria <snip> while Meat Beat Manifesto's STORM THE STUDIO might not <snip>

Right you are about LSD, a strange "dance" record when it first came out and still mad influential. I think of it as one-half of a classic set. The other half is the "outtakes" record, Stolen and Contaminated Songs. This one includes alternate versions of LSD tracks plus other one-of-a-kind gems. Together they also mark a kind of turning point in the Coil discography, no to mention the end of an era at Wax Trax!

So what is it about Jack Dangers' STS record you like so much?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Mar 14, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #102 of 112
Quote:

Originally posted by oosoo
Right you are about LSD, a strange "dance" record when it first came out and still mad influential. I think of it as one-half of a classic set. The other half is the "outtakes" record, Stolen and Contaminated Songs. This one includes alternate versions of LSD tracks plus other one-of-a-kind gems. Together they also mark a kind of turning point in the Coil discography, no to mention the end of an era at Wax Trax!

So what is it about Jack Dangers' STS record you like so much?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I've been a Meat Beat fan since the first time I heard them.. to me, STS is the most pure vision of what their early period sounds like, though 99% is similar, it's sort of cleaned up. I like the chaos created by having the different versions back to back to back on STS. They have such a knack for coming up with memorable beats and hooks. There weren't many artists back then that did sampling well.. they were one of them.. oh, and Skinny Puppy too, though they didn't make use of samples quite like MBM did. Did you ever catch Skinny Puppy in concert? Man, what show they put on.

-jar

Mar 14, 2004 at 7:40 AM Post #103 of 112
Quote:

Originally posted by Masonjar
Did you ever catch Skinny Puppy in concert? Man, what show they put on.

Yes. Long time SP fan, sigh. Brilliant thing they did with syntax in addition to the sonic textures. I saw the Too Dark Park tour at the old Ritz-NYC, I think. Was underwhelmed, to be honest, with the horror shtick. Plus the layering that is so distinctive in their records was blurred and intangible in the concert hall. VIVIsectVI and TDP are top personal favorites, but everything pre-1990 works. Their discography is still relevant in more than one genre.

Mar 15, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #104 of 112
I've fallen in love with this gem:
nr002.jpg

Available on nonresponse

It blends all the things I like about Autechre's Amber debut CD, with what I like about Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol 1.

It's a must-have if you have you dig that... I'll be picking up their other stuff some day.

Mar 15, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #105 of 112
Quote:

Originally posted by chillysalsa
It blends all the things I like about Autechre's Amber debut CD, with what I like about Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol 1.

confused.gif

I could have sworn that Incunabula was their debut. Anywho, sounds like an interesting combo, as a fan of both Amber and Selected Ambient Works 1. Might have to check it out.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back