Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
Mar 22, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #4,576 of 6,987
Another "oldie" but goodie - Oblivion with Bells by Underworld. While I skip through some tracks sometimes, the good ones on there are nice.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #4,577 of 6,987
Quote:
Had it since release but have never actually played it. First spin tonight...As good as I remember...

And once I get my speakers tonight/tomorrow it'll be even better.

Mmm, that's tasteful stuff. I'd like to get me a record player.

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #4,579 of 6,987
Quote:

The bass on well done releases like this (and ISAM) is incredible with a good record player. ISAM is like a completely different experience.

What's the name of yours, and how much did it run you? If you don't mind...

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #4,581 of 6,987
Quote:
Well Tempered Labs Amadeus. It runs about 3k (slightly over with the mat upgrade I added recently.

Whew, that's gonna' take me a while. But man is that nice. I've got a little something to aspire to. 

Thanks. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #4,582 of 6,987
Quote:

Whew, that's gonna' take me a while. But man is that nice. I've got a little something to aspire to. 

Thanks. 
beerchug.gif

No reason you couldn't get great sound out of something more modest. I usually recommend about a 1k starter budget for people getting into vinyl. 

I feel that's about the point it starts to pull away in a big way from digital. 

1k for table, arm, cart, and stage isn't too bad when you really think about it either.

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #4,583 of 6,987
Quote:
No reason you couldn't get great sound out of something more modest. I usually recommend about a 1k starter budget for people getting into vinyl. 

I feel that's about the point it starts to pull away in a big way from digital. 

1k for table, arm, cart, and stage isn't too bad when you really think about it either.

That doesn't sound too bad. Any brands you'd recommend?

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #4,584 of 6,987
Rega is probably my go to under 1k. An RP1 at 445 is a very solid investment. You also have a ton if small (cheap) upgrades you can make to get better sound along the way as well. You also get a Dustcover which will cost a mint on higher end tables. 

Vincent PHO-8 Phono Stage at $400 is a great performer and much quieter than most options in or up to the 1k range. The outboard PSU does a fine job. I'm still using mine but hope to upgrade soon to a Simaudio 310LP.

Then slap an Ortofon 2M Blue ($225) on it and be done for awhile. 

Edit: The biggest pitfall of vinyl isn't the system cost...It's the addiction of buying the actual vinyl. My player, stage, and cart cost about 4k all together but my record collection grows weekly and is about the break the 6k mark (for insurance purposes anyway). I have a list of over 7,000 dollars in vinyl I want to buy right now as well.

Mar 22, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #4,585 of 6,987
Quote:
Rega is probably my go to under 1k. An RP1 at 445 is a very solid investment. You also have a ton if small (cheap) upgrades you can make to get better sound along the way as well. You also get a Dustcover which will cost a mint on higher end tables. 

Vincent PHO-8 Phono Stage at $400 is a great performer and much quieter than most options in or up to the 1k range. The outboard PSU does a fine job. I'm still using mine but hope to upgrade soon to a Simaudio 310LP.

Then slap an Ortofon 2M Blue ($225) on it and be done for awhile. 

Edit: The biggest pitfall of vinyl isn't the system cost...It's the addiction of buying the actual vinyl. My player, stage, and cart cost about 4k all together but my record collection grows weekly and is about the break the 6k mark (for insurance purposes anyway). I have a list of over 7,000 dollars in vinyl I want to buy right now as well.

Thanks, my friend. 

Haha, I already have a sickness of buying more music than I can afford. I've spent a couple grand in a ~few months on music, so I feel you on that. It actually made me nauseated a couple times thinking about how much I've spent, but i'll have it the rest of my life, and I'm enjoying the piss out of it.

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #4,588 of 6,987
Oooohhhh!!!! Just found this thread! :D Seems great! So Morbid, If I got the RP1, what phono would I get until I could afford something like the PHO-8? I'd have ~$100 to spend on one after the table if I got this for my Birthday and used my savings and sold off some stuff. Does Whetstone sell it? I'd have to get some vinyl then get the cartridge for christmas though. Would I be able to tell a difference when using HE400s and a CTH though? I'm building the CTH ATM. :wink:

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #4,589 of 6,987
A good master translates through any device. :wink:

Yes, Brian sells Rega (mention my name, if you would be so kind). 

I usually recommend the Cambridge Phono Stages at that price range (651P IIRC), but Brian may have a better suggestion I'm unaware of. I'd take his advice. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #4,590 of 6,987
A good master translates through any device. :wink:

Yes, Brian sells Rega (mention my name, if you would be so kind). 

I usually recommend the Cambridge Phono Stages at that price range (651P IIRC), but Brian may have a better suggestion I'm unaware of. I'd take his advice. 
OK, will do, would have to be some time in October though, so I have a while to go, but once I get it, it should last me quite a while! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back