ELE DAC Thread
Jan 31, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #61 of 151
I've had to go back to using my $20 ele dac for a bit, and I gotta say that it is ridiculously good for that price. It's a great way for people to get introduced into the world of dacs (and save a bunch of dollars while they are at it).

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #62 of 151
Go on and change capacitors, it will get even better :wink:

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #64 of 151
Probably. Mine seemed to be fake but not 100% sure. Those typical ELNAs aren`t with Silmic`s SQ anyway. 
Those other caps are also important. Well, the combination of two actually. Panasonic FR makes everything very clear and detailed while 
SilmicII`s add larger soundstage, better imaging, transparency, separation and smooth out littlebit FR caused "harsh" highs.
At least that kind of impression I`ve had with trying different caps with ELE EL-D02 and found this combination to work best regarding SQ.
This is of course just my subjective evaluation.

Feb 3, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #65 of 151
  Probably. Mine seemed to be fake but not 100% sure. Those typical ELNAs aren`t with Silmic`s SQ anyway. 
Those other caps are also important. Well, the combination of two actually. Panasonic FR makes everything very clear and detailed while 
SilmicII`s add larger soundstage, better imaging, transparency, separation and smooth out littlebit FR caused "harsh" highs.
At least that kind of impression I`ve had with trying different caps with ELE EL-D02 and found this combination to work best regarding SQ.
This is of course just my subjective evaluation.

Thanks for replying. I have the D01 version so there are only 3 caps total I could change. Rest is SMC. I guess it wouldn't hurt to replace those 3 caps.

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #66 of 151
My ELE D02 arrived!

Wao, I was comparing it with the Xonar DG. Unfortunately/Fortunately xD I couldn't hear any SQ differences between them. They´re really similar. Even their amp.

So, I ended using RMAA, here is the result: 

Technically, the ELE DAC is better than the Xonar. 
L3000.gif

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #68 of 151
My ELE D02 arrived!

Wao, I was comparing it with the Xonar DG. Unfortunately/Fortunately xD I couldn't hear any SQ differences between them. They´re really similar. Even their amp.

L3000.gif

I really doubt that Xonar DG has that much THD and IMD. The settings in input/output might not have been correct.
Besides, technically Xonar DG beats ELE DAC in SNR, Dynamic range and stereo crosstalk.

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #70 of 151

My ELE D02 arrived!

L3000.gif

I really doubt that Xonar DG has that much THD and IMD. The settings in input/output might not have been correct.
Besides, technically Xonar DG beats ELE DAC in SNR, Dynamic range and stereo crosstalk.

I followed the RMAA instructions exactly, (except that I tested at 44.1Khz 16 Bit).

And Im worried about it too, I used the same cable for the ELE DAC and Xonar DG, and just the Xonar got 30 times more THD than the ELE DAC (Thats a beat). My cable could be the problem (If you search another Xonar DG RMAA you will see better results). So lets say that the cable is bad.

If the cable is the problem, the ELE dac results should be better too. xD

Feb 21, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #71 of 151

I followed the RMAA instructions exactly, (except that I tested at 44.1Khz 16 Bit).

And Im worried about it too, I used the same cable for the ELE DAC and Xonar DG, and just the Xonar got 30 times more THD than the ELE DAC (Thats a beat). My cable could be the problem (If you search another Xonar DG RMAA you will see better results). So lets say that the cable is bad.

If the cable is the problem, the ELE dac results should be better too. xD

I'll suggest double checking to see if Xonar DG is clipping or not.

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #73 of 151
What changes did you do for those new results, as now IMD and THD are greater for ELE DAC than previously?
Have you also changed to 16bit/44.1k through windows playback/record devices?
Are you using Xonar DG line-in to record? If you want to try, you could test the line-in of your mobo's integrated soundcard to see if its to do with the recording device.
Did you have the output volume set to about max, and line-in volume adjusted to achieve the right volume levels for test?

Also, we have to remember that the recording device is the limit factor in this. Can't get any better results than its capable. :wink:

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #74 of 151

On the left is the new result.

Practically the same.

That sometime doesn't actually tell you when the amp is only lightly clipped or just about to clip. You need to look at the spectrum and see if there are extra spikes or not. If there are, and they disappear once you start lowering the volume to a point, then it might indicate that the output is stressed. If there ain't any, then perhaps the THD / IMD do actually are what they are.

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #75 of 151
What changes did you do for those new results, as now IMD and THD are greater for ELE DAC than previously?
Have you also changed to 16bit/44.1k through windows playback/record devices?
Are you using Xonar DG line-in to record? If you want to try, you could test the line-in of your mobo's integrated soundcard to see if its to do with the recording device.
Did you have the output volume set to about max, and line-in volume adjusted to achieve the right volume levels for test?

Also, we have to remember that the recording device is the limit factor in this. Can't get any better results than its capable.
wink.gif

1. I really didn't understand the first question, However "I did nothing".
2. Yes.
3. Sorry, I turned off the Onboard sound in the BIOS and right now my internet is too slow to download the drivers.
4. I had them at max.

That sometime doesn't actually tell you when the amp is only lightly clipped or just about to clip. You need to look at the spectrum and see if there are extra spikes or not. If there are, and they disappear once you start lowering the volume to a point, then it might indicate that the output is stressed. If there ain't any, then perhaps the THD / IMD do actually are what they are.

Well apparently my DG is clipping, I had to do the test with the volumen at 46 ( If I set it at 45 or less the program gives me an error).

Now, this is the new result:

Now It's even worse. 
confused.gif
 The IMD+Noise is too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back