Effect Audio cables thread
Feb 6, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #4,306 of 7,919
I've snagged cables and even tore a 3.5mm pin off the plug.. I had a decent aftermarket cable in 2.5 that came slightly bent and annoyed me to no end sticking out crooked from my AK player... Definitely prefer the 4.4mm on something like a DAP.. I'll take the 2.5 on my BTR5 though..

Feb 6, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #4,307 of 7,919
I've had a 2.5mm plug bend inside a DAP and completely rip the socket out when I went to unplug it. I've also seen lots of slanted 2.5mm plugs on cables out of the box, possibly because they're too thin to reliably make straight and QC properly. I've never had those issues with the 4.4mm connector, and I've never had a scenario where they were too big either. They fit perfectly fine in every case I've ever used, and they barely feel any heavier than the 2.5mm ones. It's not like you're suddenly carrying a 4-pin XLR plug on your IEMs. So, 4.4mm is definitely the way to go for me.

The fifth wire can be used for additional grounding with cables like Han Sound Audio's Venom. Whereas, if you were using a 2.5mm plug, you'd need an extra 3.5mm connector to connect to the DAP's SE port for the shielding to work, almost like a little tail hanging out the end of the cable. But, yeah, otherwise, it isn't really used I don't think. Again, the main advantage to me is in the durability.

and to add to Daniel's reply, besides higher durability and added ground (otherwise 4pin balanced connection doesn't have a separate ground), another benefit of 4.4mm is larger area of signal contact which decreases the impedance. When you are conducting electric signal, you want to keep your resistance as low as possible, and larger contact area of 4.4mm plug/socket will have it lower in comparison to 2.5mm.

Feb 6, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #4,308 of 7,919
I've snagged cables and even tore a 3.5mm pin off the plug.. I had a decent aftermarket cable in 2.5 that came slightly bent and annoyed me to no end sticking out crooked from my AK player... Definitely prefer the 4.4mm on something like a DAP.. I'll take the 2.5 on my BTR5 though..
Every 2.5mm I have owned is slightly crooked and I have a bad case of OCD, and it bugs me to no end. Glad to know, I am not alone! :ksc75smile:

Feb 6, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #4,309 of 7,919
It’s all down to the implementation on the DAP. Some DAPs I’ve heard virtually no difference between SE and balanced whereas others I’ve heard SE to be considerably worse in terms of dynamics and background. It just varies IMO

Interesting. I "headphone roll" much more than I source roll. Perhaps that's why I haven't noticed the balanced/ SE difference that much.

I've had a 2.5mm plug bend inside a DAP and completely rip the socket out when I went to unplug it. I've also seen lots of slanted 2.5mm plugs on cables out of the box, possibly because they're too thin to reliably make straight and QC properly. I've never had those issues with the 4.4mm connector, and I've never had a scenario where they were too big either. They fit perfectly fine in every case I've ever used, and they barely feel any heavier than the 2.5mm ones. It's not like you're suddenly carrying a 4-pin XLR plug on your IEMs. So, 4.4mm is definitely the way to go for me.

The fifth wire can be used for additional grounding with cables like Han Sound Audio's Venom. Whereas, if you were using a 2.5mm plug, you'd need an extra 3.5mm connector to connect to the DAP's SE port for the shielding to work, almost like a little tail hanging out the end of the cable. But, yeah, otherwise, it isn't really used I don't think. Again, the main advantage to me is in the durability.

I haven't had the QA/QC problems with 2.5mm connectors you've had. I get that a 4.4mm plug will fit a 4.4mm socket. When I referred to the size of the plug, I was really thinking of how big to socket is. I have a hard time imagining a 4.4mm socket in my little AK70 Mk II, let alone my AK Jr. One of the things I like about those DAPs is how small they are.

Thanks for that explanation about "wire #5", I never thought about that. I have a cable exactly as you describe (with the additional 3.5mm plug) for connecting my AK70 Mk II to my home amp. Without the extra grounding pigtail, hum was awful. Props to David Choy at Triton Audio (shameless plug) for making the cable for me. I can't understand why AK can't ground the AK70 like everyone else grounds their stuff.

Once you had a chance to bend your 2.5mm plug you will realize it's not that hard to bend the thing. I had one bent putting the AK1000 with the cable inside my pocket.
One thing I really like about 4.4mm is that it sits in so tight and secure.

Perhaps. With my current cable inventory I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed I don't bend any connectors. I'm not on-the-go that often, most of the listening I do is seated once I reach my destination. No buses or trains for commuting where I live, just lots of cars.

Thanks, everyone, for the explanations and your experiences. I am at least mildly rooting for a default standard to emerge, even if it's the 4.4mm. I'd be happy to have my favorite cables reterminated if I could use them with any DAP I wanted when ever I wanted.

Feb 6, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #4,310 of 7,919
Every 2.5mm I have owned is slightly crooked and I have a bad case of OCD, and it bugs me to no end. Glad to know, I am not alone! :ksc75smile:

You’re definitely not alone. I was tempted to try and straighten it but knowing myself that would’ve ended in disaster..

Feb 6, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #4,311 of 7,919
You’re definitely not alone. I was tempted to try and straighten it but knowing myself that would’ve ended in disaster..
Agreed. Straightening bent metal parts rarely ends well.

Feb 7, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #4,312 of 7,919
I spent a couple of hours at HifiHeadphones today trying out a selection of Effect Audio cables. My aim was to find something that I thought paired well with the tia Trio and Cayin N6ii. I was looking for something that kept a bit of thump in the low end, but at the same time gave a boost and clarity to the mids and highs.

The cables tried were; Thor Silver II, Eros II+, Lionheart, Thor Silver II+, Leonidas II and Horus.

The Horus was really good and fitted my requirements quite well. Sadly it’s a bit out of my price range at the moment and so that ended there. After everything I had read about it, I really wanted the Leonidas II to be a match, but although the clarity of the mids and highs were really good, for my preference, it just didn’t have enough in the low end. The Thor Silver II and Lionheart were nice, but for my set up they were a little too smooth and relaxed. The Thor Silver II+ however seemed to fit the bill and give me what I was looking for. To my ears it had great synergy with the Trio and N6ii. But then I was thrown a curve ball with a late intro of the Eros II+. This cable also had great synergy with my set up. I then spent a bit of time moving back and forth between the Thor and the Eros. Both had pros and cons when compared to each other, but in the end I decided to buy the Thor Silver II+. Now the wait begins until it’s delivered.

A big thanks to Oscar for letting me demo the cables and for his help and knowledge during my decision process.

Feb 9, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #4,313 of 7,919
Effect Audio is working with "DROP" to present to you the Ultimate entry cable, The “Origin” !! Check it out via the link @
https://drop.com/buy/93588?vendor_key=ee36fbc7fe963a106f36427c26cdd72a Don't miss out!! :gs1000smile:

1.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #4,314 of 7,919
Feb 9, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #4,315 of 7,919
Feb 9, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #4,316 of 7,919
Definitely wondering how this would compare to the Grandioso SPC.. I just recently got the Maestro cable for my work iem and I‘m really enjoying it. Quite an improvement over the stock Noble cable.

Feb 9, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #4,317 of 7,919
I just ordered it to have a SE cable rather than the stock cable I have

Feb 9, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #4,319 of 7,919
Is this more entry level than the Vogue Series?
Yupp, it's the ultimate entry cable! it was first launch at CANJAM NYC last year! the intention was to reel in non "EA" customer to get a glimpse of the amazing build and enjoy the sound of our product!
Definitely wondering how this would compare to the Grandioso SPC.. I just recently got the Maestro cable for my work iem and I‘m really enjoying it. Quite an improvement over the stock Noble cable.
The "Grandioso"vwill definitely be more superior than the "origin" in terms of sound projection due to it's engineering and material.
Hi, is the 2.5mm termination balanced?
Thank you!
The "Origin" comes in both 2.5 and 3.5mm configuration

Users who are viewing this thread

Back