Effect Audio cables thread
Jan 31, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #4,291 of 7,914
Well, it may be headed that way. Sony, Lotoo, Cayin have 4.4mm, among others, so we just have to get A&K on board. :wink:

As proud (?) and stubborn as they are, they would never budge. It's not just the jack but look at their EQ. It's basically non-functional but they say it's best for you.
They are the Apple of portal dap..we tell what is good for you. If you don't like it, take a hike. :)

Jan 31, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #4,292 of 7,914
As proud (?) and stubborn as they are, they would never budge. It's not just the jack but look at their EQ. It's basically non-functional but they say it's best for you.
They are the Apple of portal dap..we tell what is good for you. If you don't like it, take a hike. :)

As I said before, 2.5mm was A&K thing, 4.4mm was Sony thing. To adapt 4.4mm for A&K means accepting the defeat. Don't think it will happen :wink:

Feb 4, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #4,293 of 7,914
Hey guys, I've just gotten a used Thor II+ cable and the heat shrink ear hooks are really uncomfortable. They are too long, loop too big and sort of flare out at the back of my ear. I was wondering if it was possible (and advisable) to just cut off the heat shrinks. I'd probably want to leave a little of it (3mm) at the point of the connectors to provide strain relief. Any suggestions on how I can do this? Thanks!

Feb 4, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #4,294 of 7,914
Hey guys, I've just gotten a used Thor II+ cable and the heat shrink ear hooks are really uncomfortable. They are too long, loop too big and sort of flare out at the back of my ear. I was wondering if it was possible (and advisable) to just cut off the heat shrinks. I'd probably want to leave a little of it (3mm) at the point of the connectors to provide strain relief. Any suggestions on how I can do this? Thanks!

You can use a heat gun (very carefull) or maybe a hair dryer to warm up the loop and bend it to tighten the loop radius and hold it while it cools and it should stay in the new shape. I’ve done it several times with different cables.

Feb 4, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #4,295 of 7,914
You can use a heat gun (very carefull) or maybe a hair dryer to warm up the loop and bend it to tighten the loop radius and hold it while it cools and it should stay in the new shape. I’ve done it several times with different cables.

Ditto. I would avoid a hardware heat gun. You would have to work very carefully but fast too. There's a risk you could melt or bun the insulator. If you don't have a temp. controlled hot air unit, a hair dryer would be safer and work out fine.

Feb 4, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #4,296 of 7,914
Ditto. I would avoid a hardware heat gun. You would have to work very carefully but fast too. There's a risk you could melt or bun the insulator. If you don't have a temp. controlled hot air unit, a hair dryer would be safer and work out fine.

Ive used a heat gun and as long as my fingers are in the blast then I know I’m not getting it too hot but yeah a hair dryer is safer if a little slower

Feb 4, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #4,297 of 7,914
Ive used a heat gun and as long as my fingers are in the blast then I know I’m not getting it too hot but yeah a hair dryer is safer if a little slower

I'm sure it depends on the heat gun you have, and it definitely can be done. However, as we know, heat guns are generally designed for high heat applications like stripping paint and not this kind of fine work.

You only need to do this once, and if you mess it up it would be hard to fix, so taking it safe and slow is the way to go.

Feb 4, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #4,298 of 7,914
Whatever works for you..:beerchug: But you’re right. I’ve used heat guns a lot so I’m very familiar with them. If you aren’t then definitely try the hair dryer

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #4,300 of 7,914
Well, it may be headed that way. Sony, Lotoo, Cayin have 4.4mm, among others, so we just have to get A&K on board. :wink:
I've never understood the 4.4mm connector. Why five conductors? Why so big when many applications are for portable audio where small is an advantage. I'm happy with the 2.5mm balanced connector.

Feb 5, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #4,301 of 7,914
I've never understood the 4.4mm connector. Why five conductors? Why so big when many applications are for portable audio where small is an advantage. I'm happy with the 2.5mm balanced connector.

4.4mm is far more durable than 2.5mm, after using it extensively I see no disadvantages of 4.4mm over 2.5mm.

Feb 5, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #4,302 of 7,914
4.4mm is far more durable than 2.5mm, after using it extensively I see no disadvantages of 4.4mm over 2.5mm.
I've never broken a connector, any connector, so I can't get excited about a 4.4mm connector being more durable. To me they are crazy big for what is for me a portable pursuit where smallness is an advantage. I still want to know what that fifth wire is for...

I may end up in mvvRAZ territory in this respect, though. I heard a huge difference using a balanced cable with a couple of pairs of headphones. Not so much, though, with IEMs. So I may end up with the 3.5mm unbalanced as my standard anyway.

Feb 5, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #4,303 of 7,914
I've never broken a connector, any connector, so I can't get excited about a 4.4mm connector being more durable. To me they are crazy big for what is for me a portable pursuit where smallness is an advantage. I still want to know what that fifth wire is for...

I may end up in mvvRAZ territory in this respect, though. I heard a huge difference using a balanced cable with a couple of pairs of headphones. Not so much, though, with IEMs. So I may end up with the 3.5mm unbalanced as my standard anyway.

It’s all down to the implementation on the DAP. Some DAPs I’ve heard virtually no difference between SE and balanced whereas others I’ve heard SE to be considerably worse in terms of dynamics and background. It just varies IMO

Feb 5, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #4,304 of 7,914

I've had a 2.5mm plug bend inside a DAP and completely rip the socket out when I went to unplug it. I've also seen lots of slanted 2.5mm plugs on cables out of the box, possibly because they're too thin to reliably make straight and QC properly. I've never had those issues with the 4.4mm connector, and I've never had a scenario where they were too big either. They fit perfectly fine in every case I've ever used, and they barely feel any heavier than the 2.5mm ones. It's not like you're suddenly carrying a 4-pin XLR plug on your IEMs. So, 4.4mm is definitely the way to go for me.

The fifth wire can be used for additional grounding with cables like Han Sound Audio's Venom. Whereas, if you were using a 2.5mm plug, you'd need an extra 3.5mm connector to connect to the DAP's SE port for the shielding to work, almost like a little tail hanging out the end of the cable. But, yeah, otherwise, it isn't really used I don't think. Again, the main advantage to me is in the durability.

Feb 5, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #4,305 of 7,914
Once you had a chance to bend your 2.5mm plug you will realize it's not that hard to bend the thing. I had one bent putting the AK1000 with the cable inside my pocket.
One thing I really like about 4.4mm is that it sits in so tight and secure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back