Effect Audio cables thread
Feb 11, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #1,501 of 7,919
hi all,

I am thinking of getting cable for my slightly bright Hidition NT-6 pro. I am looking to make it warmer, also improving soundstage and vocals~

which effect audio products would you guys recommend? my budget would be around 500.

also, side question - does cable sleeve turn green after a while? i had some lower end effect audio cables that turned green (thor spc cables)

thanks!!

My recommendations would be the Ares II+ and the Lionheart. The Ares II+ has a mid-to-upper-bass emphasis that introduces quite a bit of warmth into the vocal range. Treble extension is excellent and the overall treble region becomes smoothened out. The Lionheart is a less-heavy-handed cable, with a linearly smooth and rich timbre. Its main draw is naturalness and it'll introduce a euphonic liquidity and ease into the IEM's signature. Notes will blend together and unsightly peaks in the treble will be alleviated in the process. I'd recommend the Lionheart over the Ares II+ because of its ergonomics and tone, but if you like your bass, then the Ares II+ is the stronger buy. There's no need to worry about going green. Both the Ares II+ and Lionheart use Litz cables where the Thor SPC ones didn't AFAIK.

Feb 11, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #1,502 of 7,919
the lionheart does indeed sound really tempting... Also that is a relief knowing my several hundred dollar cable wont turn green!
i also haven’t ordered from effect audio in a long time; which 2.5mm plug and y-split are generally recommended?
there’s a rhodium plated and gold plated plug - i assume rhodium is less likely to corrode then gold (if gold even does corrode?!)?
i’m not sure if how big and heavy the “rugged” y-split is compared to the “mini” y-split too :/
Could someone enlighten me? :xf_eek:

Feb 11, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #1,503 of 7,919
the lionheart does indeed sound really tempting... Also that is a relief knowing my several hundred dollar cable wont turn green!
i also haven’t ordered from effect audio in a long time; which 2.5mm plug and y-split are generally recommended?
there’s a rhodium plated and gold plated plug - i assume rhodium is less likely to corrode then gold (if gold even does corrode?!)?
i’m not sure if how big and heavy the “rugged” y-split is compared to the “mini” y-split too :/
Could someone enlighten me? :xf_eek:

Rhodium-plated plugs are preferred for their build quality and - to some - sound quality, though I've personally never done the comparison myself. Gold does not corrode, but both rhodium and gold platings can get worn out after some time; especially if the jack is on the tighter side. I'd highly recommend going for the mini Y-split. It's more aesthetically-pleasing than the musician's Y-split, and it's much more ergonomic than the rugged one. The rugged one is generally only used in headphone cables where 16-wire cables are the norm.

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #1,506 of 7,919
Which one is better to tame the treble of Encore, Lionheart or Thor Silver II? Any input would be appreciated.

@PinkyPowers has the Encore along with a few Effect Audio cables. He should be able to help you here.

Feb 12, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #1,507 of 7,919
Rhodium-plated plugs are preferred for their build quality and - to some - sound quality, though I've personally never done the comparison myself. Gold does not corrode, but both rhodium and gold platings can get worn out after some time; especially if the jack is on the tighter side. I'd highly recommend going for the mini Y-split. It's more aesthetically-pleasing than the musician's Y-split, and it's much more ergonomic than the rugged one. The rugged one is generally only used in headphone cables where 16-wire cables are the norm.

When I ordered mine, EA informed me that the rhodium provided more detail.

Ah, i see, thanks for clarifying that.
another thing about my Hidition NT-6 Pro is that the polarity for the connection is inverted. would that require me to make a special request to have the pins soldered differently to accommodate the inverted polarity style? or would it not matter, since both left and right earpieces will have the same polarity either way?
thanks~

Feb 12, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #1,509 of 7,919
Ah, i see, thanks for clarifying that.
another thing about my Hidition NT-6 Pro is that the polarity for the connection is inverted. would that require me to make a special request to have the pins soldered differently to accommodate the inverted polarity style? or would it not matter, since both left and right earpieces will have the same polarity either way?
thanks~

I'd recommend talking to Eric of @EffectAudio directly for that. Though, considering your profile states that you're studying in Singapore, you can visit their offices at Victory Centre for a more thorough conversation. :)

Feb 12, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #1,511 of 7,919
@PinkyPowers has the Encore along with a few Effect Audio cables. He should be able to help you here.

Unfortunately I don't have Lionheart so I can't be sure.

To be safe, if you're worried about the treble, I say go for Ares II +. I'd love to hear Encore with that cable.

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #1,512 of 7,919
Aries II+ has a much, much better synergy with the Fourte than I was expecting. Full bodied, yet nicely detailed. This is a pretty hefty cable and well made, as I'm sure all EA cables are!
IMG_3929.jpg

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #1,514 of 7,919
Hi guys
New to the whole iem cables gig. Just wondering what would be the main differences in sound between the ares ii and Eros ii? Would the ares present a much warmer tone than the eros? Hoping to buy and pair one of those cables with a CA Fibae 3 I'm ordering! Having quite some trouble deciding. Any opinions or other suggestions would be amazing. Also since i live in au. It seems impossible to demo them...

Feb 15, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #1,515 of 7,919
Hi guys
New to the whole iem cables gig. Just wondering what would be the main differences in sound between the ares ii and Eros ii? Would the ares present a much warmer tone than the eros? Hoping to buy and pair one of those cables with a CA Fibae 3 I'm ordering! Having quite some trouble deciding. Any opinions or other suggestions would be amazing. Also since i live in au. It seems impossible to demo them...

Hi,
with the Fibae3 the ares add a warm touch to the earphones while the eros has a better extension and details for the mid/treble.
It mostly depends which signature you prefer, if you focus more on bass then go with the ares, if you prefer a better extension through the entire range then the eros is your cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back