Effect Audio cables thread
Feb 16, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #1,531 of 7,950
So the btg starlight cable is going out on my Apollo X and I'm passed the warranty period.
I've been looking into the Ares II, II+ and the Eros II
I love the Apollos signature and wouldn't want to change much but I would like some more sub bass. It has a neutral/balanced signature already and I'm leaning towards the Eros II to extend the depths. What would you guys recommend?

BTW,
music sanctuary has one last eros ll for sale at a very interesting price, take a look, even if you have to re-terminate it, its still a very good deal.

https://music-sanctuary.com/collect...eals/products/clearance-eros-ii-upgrade-cable

Feb 17, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #1,532 of 7,950
Hey guys,

I'm interested in purchasing either an Eros II+ or Ares II+. I currently have a tia fourte with leonidas cables, with an SP1000SS as my source. I find the treble to be too harsh and fatiguing in this combo. In that regard, which of the two cables would be the best purchase for my situation?

Feb 17, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #1,533 of 7,950
I had the Ares ll+ on my SP1000SS with a Zeus for about a week and it knocked down a bit of the upper end detail and really gave it a full lower end. I also found that using a silver or silver/copper cable with the SP1000SS can lead to splashy treble with either a Zeus or an Angie. I'm using the Ares ll w/2.5 now, connected to my Zeus. The SS is bright and delivers lots of detail. Unless you've got a very warm/dark IEM it might be best to stick to copper cable.

Feb 17, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #1,534 of 7,950
I had the Ares ll+ on my SP1000SS with a Zeus for about a week and it knocked down a bit of the upper end detail and really gave it a full lower end. I also found that using a silver or silver/copper cable with the SP1000SS can lead to splashy treble with either a Zeus or an Angie. I'm using the Ares ll w/2.5 now, connected to my Zeus. The SS is bright and delivers lots of detail. Unless you've got a very warm/dark IEM it might be best to stick to copper cable.

Hmm..so given that the ares II+ is copper, while the eros II+ is hybrid, I should consider the Ares?

Feb 17, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #1,535 of 7,950
I don't have a Tia so can't say for sure, but if it has lots of treble and that's the area that bothers you when paired with the SS, then yes, I would go for the copper. I had always gone for brighter cables before I got the SS (even with my AK240SS), but with the SP1000SS they seemed too hot with silver (speaking personally.) I'm not telling you what to get, merely stating my experiences.

Feb 17, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #1,536 of 7,950
I don't have a Tia so can't say for sure, but if it has lots of treble and that's the area that bothers you when paired with the SS, then yes, I would go for the copper. I had always gone for brighter cables before I got the SS (even with my AK240SS), but with the SP1000SS they seemed too hot with silver (speaking personally.) I'm not telling you what to get, merely stating my experiences.

I appreciate the input. I'm going to have to find some comparisons between the Eros and Ares. Also, is there an advantage to using an 8 cable vs 4?

Feb 17, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #1,537 of 7,950
Some say 8 is better. It's thicker, for sure. You might want to read up on it. Oh, and the Ares + is what I was speaking of in terms of taking off a bit of the top detail.. The Ares ll has very sparkly treble, amazingly, for a copper cable.

Feb 17, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #1,538 of 7,950
Some say 8 is better. It's thicker, for sure. You might want to read up on it. Oh, and the Ares + is what I was speaking of in terms of taking off a bit of the top detail.. The Ares ll has very sparkly treble, amazingly, for a copper cable.

Hmmm...thank you. Surely it's less than the Leonidas, since the Leonidas is silver (I think?)

Feb 17, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #1,539 of 7,950
I would assume so, but I don't have that particular cable.

Personally I would opt for less wire. I did some reading and it seemed that, for my purposes (walking) it would be less than pleasant ergonomically.

Feb 17, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #1,540 of 7,950
I would assume so, but I don't have that particular cable.

Personally I would opt for less wire. I did some reading and it seemed that, for my purposes (walking) it would be less than pleasant ergonomically.

Yes,
For start I would not go with the Ares ll or the ll+, they are very comfortable, the 8 wire becomes a little too thick.

Feb 17, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #1,544 of 7,950
Correct.
Thanks for pointing it out!

The Leonidas cable has the same dimension of the regular Ares or Eros, if you go with the plus version you’ll get a thicker cable.

Hehe thank you. So the 8 wire II+ would be very thick, if the 4 wire is already thicker than the leonidas.

Also, when you said I should go with the ares II+, was that compared to the Eros regarding my treble issues with my tia+leonidas+sp1000ss combo?

Users who are viewing this thread

• gLer
Back