Effect Audio cables thread
Feb 18, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #1,562 of 7,925
Hey man, i'm following up with you on our conversation yesterday. I was pretty much set on buying an Ares II+, but i'm having second thoughts. I definitely do want to tame the treble, but my concern is that the low end would become too pronounced. In that regard, i'm debating wether to get an Eros II+ instead, but i'm also concerned it won't tame the treble enough.

If you’re willing to stretch your budget a bit, the Lionheart sounds perfect for your needs.

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #1,564 of 7,925
Feb 18, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #1,565 of 7,925
Hmmm..the lionheart isn't outside my budget at all, considering that i'm selling my Leonidas anyway.

How does it compare to the Ares II+ and Eros II+?

I haven’t heard the Eros II+, but it’s as rich and forgiving as the Ares II+ without the low-end bump. The Lionheart excels at smoothing out peaks and adding liquidity to an IEM’s peesentation. Bass is more linear and coherent than that of the II+, and vocals gain a more natural tone. The Ares II+ - conversely - has a drier midrange and a more recessed top-end. The Lionheart’s rich and cohesive presentation comes from its thickened, well-pronounced instruments - trading away sharp transients for warm, smooth and gossamer overtones. To put it in rougher terms, the Ares II+ sounds like a bassy solid-state amp, while the Lionheart is more analog and tube-y in nature.

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #1,566 of 7,925
Hmmm..the lionheart isn't outside my budget at all, considering that i'm selling my Leonidas anyway.

How does it compare to the Ares II+ and Eros II+?
What @Deezel177 said, Lionheart sounds like it might just provide you with what you are looking for. You might want to check with Eric (@EffectAudio) to ask about the synergy. Personally, I love Lionheart’s smoothness and musicality. Sadly, I have heard neither Ares II+ nor Eros II+ so I can’t compare.

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #1,567 of 7,925
I haven’t heard the Eros II+, but it’s as rich and forgiving as the Ares II+ without the low-end bump. The Lionheart excels at smoothing out peaks and adding liquidity to an IEM’s peesentation. Bass is more linear and coherent than that of the II+, and vocals gain a more natural tone. The Ares II+ - conversely - has a drier midrange and a more recessed top-end. The Lionheart’s rich and cohesive presentation comes from its thickened, well-pronounced instruments - trading away sharp transients for warm, smooth and gossamer overtones. To put it in rougher terms, the Ares II+ sounds like a bassy solid-state amp, while the Lionheart is more analog and tube-y in nature.

Wow, beautifully articulated. I guess that weeds out the Ares II+, since I definitely don't like things too bassy. I just have to find a way to try the Eros II+. I was going to buy my cable from here: https://shop.musicteck.com/products/effect-audio-lionheart-upgrade-cable-1 since they take returns, but they're out of stock of Eros II+.

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #1,569 of 7,925

Just to follow up. Would you describe the "smoothing out of peaks" to be a markedly rolled off high end, kind of like the old Noble K10? Also, when you say the midrange is more liquid, does it take away growl from the low mids? I know i'm using subjective terms here, so please let me know if you need more clarification.

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #1,570 of 7,925
Just to follow up. Would you describe the "smoothing out of peaks" to be a markedly rolled off high end, kind of like the old Noble K10? Also, when you say the midrange is more liquid, does it take away growl from the low mids? I know i'm using subjective terms here, so please let me know if you need more clarification.

The Lionheart smooths out peaks in the treble by increasing linearity, i.e. easing the transitions between the lower-treble to the middle-treble to the upper-treble. This creates a more coherent overall top-end region where individual peaks and dips are more difficult to notice - making the overall frequency range more natural or easy-to-digest. However, this shouldn't be mistaken for rolled-off or darkening the treble. Roll-off creates the illusion of sounding "pleasing" because upper-treble frequencies are responsible for transient response - the airiness and crispiness that's usually associated with reference products - and rolling them off leads to a softer leading edge at the cost of technical performance; note definition, stage stability and overall transparency in particular.

But, this should not be mistaken for the upper-midrange/lower-treble, which is responsible for accentuation (or contrast between the note itself and the sonic background of the IEM/headphone) regardless of whether the transducer has a dark or bright overall timbre; a warm tone can still sound sibilant if this particular area was emphasised. The Lionheart adds body to notes through harmonic richness (bloom coming from overtones), allowing it to improve linearity and smoothness without losing upper-treble clarity and upper-midrange accentuation. In fact, it favours IEMs with sharper top-ends, because the smoothening (or feathering, in Photoshop terms) effect it provides complements the IEM's inherent clarity. What you get in the end is a presentation that's smooth-yet-clear, delicate-yet-articulate and natural-yet-energetic. Pairing the Lionheart with brighter IEMs is a best-of-both-worlds situation in my book; providing richness and organicity without introducing murkiness or veil.

Feb 18, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #1,571 of 7,925
My thing is: I want to tame the treble while hopefully still retaining the nice detailed high mids of my set up. With that said, I wouldn't mind the nice low mid growl that the U18t+ leonidas combo had!

There's really nothing you could ever do to hurt Encore's prime characteristics of linearity, detail, and clarity. A cable can effect these things to some degree, but Encore is still Encore in the end. :wink:

Lionheart may be the best choice. But I wouldn't fear Ares II+ either. It will add bass and mid-range weight, but Encore will never be a bassy IEM, no matter what cable you throw at it.

Thor Silver II also tames the treble some. But I didn't recommend that because Encore is quite hot in the treble, and I wanted to guide you to a solution that would tame it the most. But again, Encore is still Encore, and even an extreme cable solution will only achieve so much.

By the way, MusicTeck has a loaner program for their Effect Audio cables. You can try before you buy. :)

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #1,572 of 7,925
The Lionheart smooths out peaks in the treble by increasing linearity, i.e. easing the transitions between the lower-treble to the middle-treble to the upper-treble. This creates a more coherent overall top-end region where individual peaks and dips are more difficult to notice - making the overall frequency range more natural or easy-to-digest. However, this shouldn't be mistaken for rolled-off or darkening the treble. Roll-off creates the illusion of sounding "pleasing" because upper-treble frequencies are responsible for transient response - the airiness and crispiness that's usually associated with reference products - and rolling them off leads to a softer leading edge at the cost of technical performance; note definition, stage stability and overall transparency in particular.

But, this should not be mistaken for the upper-midrange/lower-treble, which is responsible for accentuation (or contrast between the note itself and the sonic background of the IEM/headphone) regardless of whether the transducer has a dark or bright overall timbre; a warm tone can still sound sibilant if this particular area was emphasised. The Lionheart adds body to notes through harmonic richness (bloom coming from overtones), allowing it to improve linearity and smoothness without losing upper-treble clarity and upper-midrange accentuation. In fact, it favours IEMs with sharper top-ends, because the smoothening (or feathering, in Photoshop terms) effect it provides complements the IEM's inherent clarity. What you get in the end is a presentation that's smooth-yet-clear, delicate-yet-articulate and natural-yet-energetic. Pairing the Lionheart with brighter IEMs is a best-of-both-worlds situation in my book; providing richness and organicity without introducing murkiness or veil.

Once again, I really appreciate the detailed input. I'm talking to EA right now to see if I can demo the Eros II+ and Lionheart, i'll keep you posted!
There's really nothing you could ever do to hurt Encore's prime characteristics of linearity, detail, and clarity. A cable can effect these things to some degree, but Encore is still Encore in the end. :wink:

Lionheart may be the best choice. But I wouldn't fear Ares II+ either. It will add bass and mid-range weight, but Encore will never be a bassy IEM, no matter what cable you throw at it.

Thor Silver II also tames the treble some. But I didn't recommend that because Encore is quite hot in the treble, and I wanted to guide you to a solution that would tame it the most. But again, Encore is still Encore, and even an extreme cable solution will only achieve so much.

By the way, MusicTeck has a loaner program for their Effect Audio cables. You can try before you buy. :)

I really appreciate your detailed input. I guess i'm going ti have to try them to really know which one will be best for me. I'm already talking to Eric about a loaner, so let's see how it all works out.

EDIT: Nevermind the Horus, just saw the price tag.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #1,575 of 7,925
I almost sold my encores after getting the a18s until I paired them with the lionheart. The lionheart is one of the natural sounding cable I ever heard. Sometimes vocals are creepy realistic.

Musicteck doesn’t have the loaner program anymore, unless they restarted. They do have sales once in a while so I would email them and ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back