Effect Audio cables thread
Nov 4, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #1,156 of 7,983
I have Ares II and I already had Thor Copper. Thor Copper has a more detailed sound, with more accurate bass and greater impact. It has a better extension and definition in treble than the Ares II. But the Ares II has more middle forward, sweeter, and a more musical sound. Basically that's the difference between the two cables.

Physical differences do not have many. They are very similar.
Thanks Vitor! :) I also read your review, it seems you really like, and enjoyed the Thor Copper. Do you think the Thor Copper reduces the positioning of the midrange, making it less forward? And what kind/character of IEM do you think Thor Copper is most suitable?

Also, does the Thor Copper have a same design (geometry, braiding, insulation, etc.) as Ares II? And why is the wire insulated in black colour? Is it because it protects the SPC wire better? I've seen a few old Thor Copper cable which has oxidized, how to prevent this? Sorry for asking many questions.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #1,157 of 7,983
Thanks Vitor! :) I also read your review, it seems you really like, and enjoyed the Thor Copper. Do you think the Thor Copper reduces the positioning of the midrange, making it less forward? And what kind/character of IEM do you think Thor Copper is most suitable?

Also, does the Thor Copper have a same design (geometry, braiding, insulation, etc.) as Ares II? And why is the wire insulated in black colour? Is it because it protects the SPC wire better? I've seen a few old Thor Copper cable which has oxidized, how to prevent this? Sorry for asking many questions.

Yes, I thought the Thor Copper makes the midrange slightly backward.

The issue of having an IEM more suitable for Thor Copper does not exist, as this depends very much on the personal taste of the user. There are people who like mids and more and the IEM does not have that pronounced averages, there are people who like the sound more V and prefer that the middle of the IEM to become more recessed. You have to analyze the behavior of the headset with the stock cable and what you want to change in the sound.

No, the Ares II has different geometry, braid, insulation, etc.. But this is not to be perceived clearly with the naked eye. Something that may make a difference in the sound produced or the comfort, but I do not understand that topic very deeply.

Nov 4, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #1,158 of 7,983
I have a Lionheart cable with the EA2.5mm Rhodium-Plated connector. I've just bought a Sony NW-WM1Z player and want to use their 4.4mm Balanced jack. I've read that you need to be careful when getting an adapter as you could short on the player. I found this adapter on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0731LNLZM/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can anyone tell me if this adapter is safe to use (i.e. won't short out the player)?

Nov 4, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #1,159 of 7,983
I have a Lionheart cable with the EA2.5mm Rhodium-Plated connector. I've just bought a Sony NW-WM1Z player and want to use their 4.4mm Balanced jack. I've read that you need to be careful when getting an adapter as you could short on the player. I found this adapter on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0731LNLZM/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can anyone tell me if this adapter is safe to use (i.e. won't short out the player)?

It has one good feedback so I think you can rest assured for some extent. But I recommend you can order custom-made this adapter from effect audio.

Since you have lionheart, you should make a lionheart-based cable adapter for slightest change in sound as possible :wink:

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #1,160 of 7,983
Sorry for asking this silly question. Just wondering. What's the difference between the Ares II, with Thor Copper? They seem to share a similar (inviting) price. :) Beside one having SPC wire, and the other copper, what are their differences design, and sonic-wise?

By the way, I'm enjoying the Ares II with Spartan very much recently. What a nice pair, they seem to complement each other very well. The Ares II helps highlight the midrange more, providing it with extra clarity. The sound becomes less 'flat', and warm. It sounds more exiting than with the stock cable. Vocals, and instruments in the upper frequency no longer sound too warm for my taste. Female vocals sounded so much sweeter, without decreasing the fundamental power from their voice. The upper-mid seems to receive this extra sparkle, and air with the Ares II. It makes the entire presentation on the EE Spartan more transparent, and immersive.

I don't remember what the Thor Copper sounds like - I haven't heard mine in a year - but physically, the Ares II is a very different cable. My Thor Copper oxidised pretty much immediately after I brought it back to Indonesia, and the Ares II is a far more supple and flexible cable. Insulation-wise, the Ares II also looks a great deal better.

It has one good feedback so I think you can rest assured for some extent. But I recommend you can order custom-made this adapter from effect audio.

Since you have lionheart, you should make a lionheart-based cable adapter for slightest change in sound as possible :wink:

This is the one thing I don't understand. Wouldn't a direct, socket-to-plug adapter be the most transparent? Why would adding a length of the Lionheart cable "enchance" the transmission?

Nov 5, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #1,161 of 7,983
This is the one thing I don't understand. Wouldn't a direct, socket-to-plug adapter be the most transparent? Why would adding a length of the Lionheart cable "enchance" the transmission?

I know that the shortest adapter is the best. But I "assume" from his quote/ebay link. That he may be wanting a cable adapter because it is more flexible thanks to its length. That is why I recommend him that he should get a good quality cable adapter. If he just said he wants an adapter, I would surely recommend just a short adapter from Effect Audio.

Cheers

Nov 5, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #1,162 of 7,983
I know that the shortest adapter is the best. But I "assume" from his quote/ebay link. That he may be wanting a cable adapter because it is more flexible thanks to its length. That is why I recommend him that he should get a good quality cable adapter. If he just said he wants an adapter, I would surely recommend just a short adapter from Effect Audio.

Cheers

Oh, I see. :)

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #1,163 of 7,983

Cheers

Actually, here's my motivation. I have a Sony NW-WM1Z player being loaned to me next week and I get to use it for a week. I googled adapters and every short one that came up was from Asia and could not get to me in time before the DAP shows up. The link I posted from Amazon was the only one I found that could be delivered by early next week. It just happened to have a short length of cable. I just need an adapter to get to me in time so that I can evaluate if I want to purchase the Sony player. But, I wanted to make sure I didn't damage the player. If I decide that I want to get the Sony player, I'll then order a short adapter from EA.

Nov 5, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #1,164 of 7,983
Only 1 cable left that I've never had a chance to audition that is EA Hessonite. Has anyone here ever tried Hessonite?

Nov 6, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #1,165 of 7,983
Nov 8, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #1,167 of 7,983
Not sure if I must read 78 pages to get the answer, can someone give me a comparison Ares vs Ares 2? Or at least a link ?

I wrote a comparison between the two some time ago, but I forgot where, so I'll write a fresh one now. :D The Ares II is a copper cable that doesn't carry the typical "copper cable sound." It has a bass that's tight and prioritises rumble over bloom and an accentuated upper-midrange as well as an extended treble. It's a cable that improves air, articulation and cleanliness, leading to the impression of a more clear and detailed sound.

On the other hand, the Ares II+ is what you'd expect a copper cable to sound like. It has a big, bold and bodied sound with a rich low-end, a thick and forwardly-placed vocal presentation, and smooth, laidback highs. I've often described the Ares II+ as the cable equivalent of butter. It won't work best with inherently warm/bass-y IEMs, but it's great for more neutral IEMs if you wanna add some euphony and richness into the mix.

Nov 8, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #1,168 of 7,983
Fourte 02.jpg

Love this cable. Love this IEM. Love the leather case!

Nov 9, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #1,169 of 7,983
Not sure if I must read 78 pages to get the answer, can someone give me a comparison Ares vs Ares 2? Or at least a link ?
Do you mean the original Ares and Ares II, or the current Ares II and Ares II+?

If it is between the original Ares and Ares II, you might have to ask Eric (@EffectAudio).

If it is between Ares II and Ares II+ then what @Deezel177 said, and here is a graphical illustration to go with it...
Ares_II_Ares_II+.png

Nov 9, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #1,170 of 7,983
Do you mean the original Ares and Ares II, or the current Ares II and Ares II+?

If it is between the original Ares and Ares II, you might have to ask Eric (@EffectAudio).

If it is between Ares II and Ares II+ then what @Deezel177 said, and here is a graphical illustration to go with it...

Oh derp! I misread the original post! :D To be honest, I don't know the difference between the original Ares and the II; I've never tried the former. But, at least you have some new info to chew on. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back