Effect Audio cables thread
Sep 17, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #811 of 7,919
Another great review Ryan! I have the Eros II coming in for a review soon and hope that I can turn out a decent review of it myself. I am very curious though, as I have the U6 in for review and @ostewart (who is loaning me both the U6 and Eros II) has been tempting me with the pairing. So far I have only listened with the stock cable (and already hate the ergonomics with a passion :p ) and M20 module, but working my way to the M15 module, Ares II and then Eros II. I am getting ever more curious! :D

Cheers, looking forward to reading your write up too! The cable pairs pretty well with the U6, quite a combination, only issue is the ear guide which is a bit high up for my ears though YMMV. Can't believe I didn't try the 64Audio earphones until this year, they are really something and U6 is the sweet spot imo.

Sep 17, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #812 of 7,919
@Wyville, what were the ergonomic issues? Are they very uncomfortable?

Sep 17, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #813 of 7,919
And a question (probably basic and stupid, but here goes...); what is the + designation about?

Sep 17, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #815 of 7,919
Another great review Ryan! I have the Eros II coming in for a review soon and hope that I can turn out a decent review of it myself. I am very curious though, as I have the U6 in for review and @ostewart (who is loaning me both the U6 and Eros II) has been tempting me with the pairing. So far I have only listened with the stock cable (and already hate the ergonomics with a passion :p ) and M20 module, but working my way to the M15 module, Ares II and then Eros II. I am getting ever more curious! :D

The U6 is a beautiful-sounding IEM if you're looking for an all-round, jack-of-all-trades IEM. The U8 is also a beautiful basshead IEM that, to me, is pretty underrated.

And a question (probably basic and stupid, but here goes...); what is the + designation about?

Effect Audio's + cables have a higher wire gauge than their non-+ cables for variations in signature and presentation. Though, obviously, ergonomics are somewhat compromised in the process.

Sep 17, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #816 of 7,919
Cheers, looking forward to reading your write up too! The cable pairs pretty well with the U6, quite a combination, only issue is the ear guide which is a bit high up for my ears though YMMV. Can't believe I didn't try the 64Audio earphones until this year, they are really something and U6 is the sweet spot imo.
Yes, I have had the U6 for less than a day and I already love it. Stock (SE out, M20) it sounds very similar to my Ei.3 with Ares II from balanced out, but after listening for a little while it is clear that the U6 is better in every way. Can't wait to pair it with my Ares II and the Eros II later on. :D
@Wyville, what were the ergonomic issues? Are they very uncomfortable?
Memory wire. I can't stand the stuff. It is a lot better than the stock cable with my Ei.3, I just don't like the stiffness in the wire because it keeps pushing the IEMs. I will happily admit that I am hopelessly biased against it and this is quite acceptable even for me, but I am looking forward to switching cables as soon as possible.
Eric shared this earlier on:
Ares_II_Ares_II+.png
The U6 is a beautiful-sounding IEM if you're looking for an all-round, jack-of-all-trades IEM. The U8 is also a beautiful basshead IEM that, to me, is pretty underrated.
Oh yes, I already adore the U6. Very much my kind of sound! :D The smoothness is lovely and yet it is still quite detailed and airy with a lovely bit of warmth to it. APEX also appears to work well. Hmmm... @ostewart might have just caused a puppy-related incident down the line (U10?). :p

Sep 17, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #817 of 7,919
Yes, I have had the U6 for less than a day and I already love it. Stock (SE out, M20) it sounds very similar to my Ei.3 with Ares II from balanced out, but after listening for a little while it is clear that the U6 is better in every way. Can't wait to pair it with my Ares II and the Eros II later on. :D

Memory wire. I can't stand the stuff. It is a lot better than the stock cable with my Ei.3, I just don't like the stiffness in the wire because it keeps pushing the IEMs. I will happily admit that I am hopelessly biased against it and this is quite acceptable even for me, but I am looking forward to switching cables as soon as possible.

Oh yes, I already adore the U6. Very much my kind of sound! :D The smoothness is lovely and yet it is still quite detailed and airy with a lovely bit of warmth to it. APEX also appears to work well. Hmmm... @ostewart might have just caused a puppy-related incident down the line (U10?). :p

I think the U6's main draw is balance and sub-bass. It manages to make its low-end present without much bloat or warmth, which is pretty intelligent tuning. Still holding out for a U6 or (ideally) a U8 with tia drivers, though; those would be instant front-runners for my next CIEM purchase :D

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #818 of 7,919

Wait until you hear them with M15 module and Eros II cable, it is my favourite setup right now...

Noble Sage with Toxic Viper is more fun sounding, and has a bit more shimmer to it, but the U6 is more refined and grown up with superb layering and the sub-bass is incredible without getting in the way.

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #819 of 7,919
Reading Mr. Eric interview in Headfonia is fun but who is who in the second picture of the first page of that interview.

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #821 of 7,919
A note about the cable EA Thor Silver II that I received. The 2 pin connector came without left and right indication, it only has the Effect Audio symbol. I was confused the moment I was connecting the cable on my CIEM, but I think it's right the way I did.

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #822 of 7,919
A note about the cable EA Thor Silver II that I received. The 2 pin connector came without left and right indication, it only has the Effect Audio symbol. I was confused the moment I was connecting the cable on my CIEM, but I think it's right the way I did.

The Effect logo should face out (away from your ear). There is also a groove on one of the sides of the connector (on the little plastic part that the pins come out from). That groove should face outward away from your ear.

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #823 of 7,919
It is the same on my Ares II. That was a little confusing at first because my other Effect Audio cable did have clear L and R markings, but it wasn't too difficult to figure out. Like @hattrick15 said, the logo and groove face outward.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #824 of 7,919
I think the U6's main draw is balance and sub-bass. It manages to make its low-end present without much bloat or warmth, which is pretty intelligent tuning. Still holding out for a U6 or (ideally) a U8 with tia drivers, though; those would be instant front-runners for my next CIEM purchase :D
I have contacted 64 Audio for some extra info about the company and its latest developments that I will include in my review. Not sure if I will hear back, but perhaps I can get a comment from them about the prospects of TIA trickling down to the other models. :wink:
Wait until you hear them with M15 module and Eros II cable, it is my favourite setup right now...

Noble Sage with Toxic Viper is more fun sounding, and has a bit more shimmer to it, but the U6 is more refined and grown up with superb layering and the sub-bass is incredible without getting in the way.
I absolutely agree on using terms such as "refined" and "grown up" to describe the U6. I used "sophisticated" in my notes already. A bit like a more mature Ei.3. For now though, as I keep comparing to the Ei.3 with Ares II from balanced, which is not entirely fair. Based on that comparison the U6 would be too close to my Ei.3 to be an interesting proposition. However, I fully expect that will change once I get to the M15 module and start switching cables.

Sep 18, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #825 of 7,919
I have exchanged a few emails with Sebastian of Vision Ears and those guys are really great! They have no dealer in London, but are still going to look for a solution so I can demo some of their IEMs. How great is that! I can see why Effect Audio like working with them. :)

I know right? Amin & Marcel are really great fun loving people. Too bad you didnt make CanJam London, i brought their stuffs along to display as they couldn't make the show.

How's the Horus ergonomics? I'm just wondering if it would fit a portable SP1000-LCDi4 setup without any particular issue (weight, flexibility).

Effect Audio Cables has got great ergonomics due to our EA Ultra-Flexi insulation, "Horus" is no exception. If you've come across our Ares II/ Eros II/ Lionheart/ Thor Silver II, it will be of the similar flexibility and weight.

Unfortunately, no one has heard the Horus yet except for select reviewers, so I'd ask again for impressions when it's eventually officially released.

@flinkenick Have extensively listened to it. He will be able to advise more on pairing & comparisons. (*Im sorry Nic! For putting a hugeass bullseye on your back :D)

Well I am willing to consider up to the Horus.

I might have to give it a try but can't find any friendly dealers in my neighborhood. Apologize if I take your notes with a grain of salt especially the high end... Alot of that is a sparkle without richness and texture... More like a sprinkle... Sorry for the lack of words. Those who have listened to a high end LP setup may have better idea what I'm trying to convey...

Heyy buddy, if you would advise me on your location, perhaps i can help to hook you up with a nearby dealer and see if they can help you out further :)

Reading Mr. Eric interview in Headfonia is fun but who is who in the second picture of the first page of that interview.

Thanks buddy. Glad y'all liked the interview content. Let me introduce : (From left to right)
1) HP - In-house designer. He undertakes graphical design as well as structural elements in product designing phase. (He was with me in CanJam Socal & CanJam SG)
2) Zhang - Our Senior Engineer. Oversees and works our production team.
3) Fang (Suyang's Wife)
4) Suyang - Founder.
5) Me
6) Bay - Logistical & Production Scheduling genius. Period. (You can whip up any current pending customer's name and he'll be able to reply you the status & ETA in seconds!)

Meanwhile, apologies for not getting to your questions and PMs fast enough. I've been out of town for the weekend. I'll be answering the PMs shortly guys. Appreciate your kind patience :)
-Eric

Last edited:
Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back