Effect Audio cables thread
Sep 18, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #841 of 7,939
Are you upgrading into custom Spartan-ADEL? Or universal, or non-ADEL? Coincidentally, I'm also having my custom Spartan-ADEL reshelled. Estimatedly one month before it'll be finished. I'll probably receive the Ares 2+ cable next week, which I plan on pairing with it (or Prelude). Curious to hear your impression on Spartan + Eros 2 pairing, if you're going to get one. :) Good decision there I think.

I'm pretty sure he already has the Spartan-ADEL; I think he's talking about the updated Spartan design that had a prototype (along with a revised Supra design prototype as well) present a few CanJam's ago. Where did you hear news that it was coming, @tim0chan? Is this official info from Empire (@Jack Vang)?

Sep 18, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #842 of 7,939
I'm pretty sure he already has the Spartan-ADEL; I think he's talking about the updated Spartan design that had a prototype (along with a revised Supra design prototype as well) present a few CanJam's ago. Where did you hear news that it was coming, @tim0chan? Is this official info from Empire (@Jack Vang)?
Hush hush, pm me for more info.
I alr have the spartan adel amd didnt quite like the prototypes then. I was more interested in the proto h

Sep 19, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #843 of 7,939
Ares II is more exciting, it brings the sound more up front and centre with a bit of added sparkle, the Eros II in my opinion is a perfectly well balanced cable, it is refined and smooth keeping organic bass punch and bloom, with an expansive soundstage and excellent detail retrieval.

The Ares II is one to get your foot tapping, and head nodding, the Eros II allows better detail retrieval, separation and control.
So yesterday I cracked already and had to try out the M15 and 10 minutes later added my Ares II. Now I understand what you meant by how natural it sounds!

The U6 is just like my Ei.3 in that it really benefits from an aftermarket cable. Stock and even with the M15 there is a hint of veil over the signature that creates the velvety smoothness, but also costs some details with classical music. Especially strings sound just a bit too smooth for my taste, although it is very enjoyable. Switch to the M15 and the veil becomes a bit thinner, but add the Ares II and the improved treble extension and that added touch of brightness lift the veil right off and everything sounds well defined, very natural and effortless.

I think I also have a good idea of why Eros II might work better than Ares II. The mid-bass has a lot of presence and could be just a touch tighter. With Ares II there is definitely more fun to the signature.
I alr have the spartan adel amd didnt quite like the prototypes then. I was more interested in the proto h
Oohhh... Interesting rumours! :D Pinky recently also let slip that the Athena might possibly be on the way out, which is very interesting because I am liking APEX and the Athena would be a great option for an ADEL model. Something to keep my eye on.

And yes, my wife yesterday on the couch:
"So I guess you are liking the pressure module? "
Me: "Yes, I think I do."
Her: [rolls eyes] "Of course you do. I know why you have been so nice lately! "
:p

Sep 19, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #844 of 7,939

Nah, I think I'm good. If information is "hush hush" to the point where I have to "pm [you] for more info", then I doubt it should've ever been talked about in the first place. I'll wait and find out with everyone else :)

Sep 19, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #845 of 7,939
So yesterday I cracked already and had to try out the M15 and 10 minutes later added my Ares II. Now I understand what you meant by how natural it sounds!

The U6 is just like my Ei.3 in that it really benefits from an aftermarket cable. Stock and even with the M15 there is a hint of veil over the signature that creates the velvety smoothness, but also costs some details with classical music. Especially strings sound just a bit too smooth for my taste, although it is very enjoyable. Switch to the M15 and the veil becomes a bit thinner, but add the Ares II and the improved treble extension and that added touch of brightness lift the veil right off and everything sounds well defined, very natural and effortless.

I think I also have a good idea of why Eros II might work better than Ares II. The mid-bass has a lot of presence and could be just a touch tighter. With Ares II there is definitely more fun to the signature.

Oohhh... Interesting rumours! :D Pinky recently also let slip that the Athena might possibly be on the way out, which is very interesting because I am liking APEX and the Athena would be a great option for an ADEL model. Something to keep my eye on.

Try the U8, my friend; I have a feeling you'll really enjoy it :wink:

By the way guys, seeing as how this is the Effect Audio thread and all, check out their Instagram for pictures of the Horus's packaging; it's pretty friggin' sweet if I may say so myself: https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio

Sep 19, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #846 of 7,939
Aren't the U8 very warm and bass-heavy? That is at least the impression I get from the comparison on the website. I wouldn't mind a bit more sub-bass reach, but in terms of mid-bass quantity I feel the U6 and M15 is really quite good. It has raised a lot of questions about the U10 vs U12. :D
By the way guys, seeing as how this is the Effect Audio thread and all, check out their Instagram for pictures of the Horus's packaging; it's pretty friggin' sweet if I may say so myself: https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio
All those boxes... *drool* *drool*
homer-drooling-gif-10.gif

Sep 19, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #847 of 7,939

Do you mean these? :D Oh thats just the tip of the icing. Major surprise within~!! If you've been following us, you know that EA always goes above and beyond on cases... *wink*

IMG_7509.JPG IMG_7508.JPG IMG_7507.JPG IMG_7506.JPG

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Sep 19, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #848 of 7,939
Aren't the U8 very warm and bass-heavy? That is at least the impression I get from the comparison on the website. I wouldn't mind a bit more sub-bass reach, but in terms of mid-bass quantity I feel the U6 and M15 is really quite good. It has raised a lot of questions about the U10 vs U12. :D

All those boxes... *drool* *drool*
homer-drooling-gif-10.gif

The U8 isn't as warm and bass-y as it may seem. It does have a full low-end, but I wouldn't say it dominates the signature, especially with the M15. Its midrange maybe isn't as clear as the U6's as it trades off clarity for naturalness and a laidback presentation, but its treble is more resolute, smoother, and further extended, with the perfect amount of sparkle and air. It's a fantastic all-around IEM that works well with tons of genres. In a way, it's in the same circle as, say, the Lime Ears Aether and the VE8, where its lower-midrange/upper-bass is somewhat prominent, its midrange is neutrally-placed (or slightly recessed in the Aether), and its high-end is comprised of a moderate upper-mid peak and an attenuated-yet-well-extended treble. By no means is it dark or ultra-rich; I'd argue it's brighter than the H8.2. Give it a shot if you can, lemme know what you think :D

Sep 19, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #849 of 7,939
I guess the silver component in Eros II makes it a more balanced cable in terms of sound sig vs Ares II

What is most interesting about the Eros II is the way the silver cable is used for the negative and the copper for the positive. But it is more balanced than Ares II with better controlled lows and a bit more air and soundstage.

Sep 19, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #850 of 7,939
The U8 isn't as warm and bass-y as it may seem. It does have a full low-end, but I wouldn't say it dominates the signature, especially with the M15. Its midrange maybe isn't as clear as the U6's as it trades off clarity for naturalness and a laidback presentation, but its treble is more resolute, smoother, and further extended, with the perfect amount of sparkle and air. It's a fantastic all-around IEM that works well with tons of genres. In a way, it's in the same circle as, say, the Lime Ears Aether and the VE8, where its lower-midrange/upper-bass is somewhat prominent, its midrange is neutrally-placed (or slightly recessed in the Aether), and its high-end is comprised of a moderate upper-mid peak and an attenuated-yet-well-extended treble. By no means is it dark or ultra-rich; I'd argue it's brighter than the H8.2. Give it a shot if you can, lemme know what you think :D
Interesting, it seems that 64 Audio IEMs are a bit difficult to predict. I was afraid that the U6 with M15 might be too bright for me and yet they are still very much warm and smooth, and I have no problems at all with adding some brightness and clarity with the Ares II. It is giving me a lot of food for thought, keeping in mind what Jelt told be about the VE5. It seems that "brightness" and "clarity" are becoming less scary terms for me. :wink:

Sep 19, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #851 of 7,939
Interesting, it seems that 64 Audio IEMs are a bit difficult to predict. I was afraid that the U6 with M15 might be too bright for me and yet they are still very much warm and smooth, and I have no problems at all with adding some brightness and clarity with the Ares II. It is giving me a lot of food for thought, keeping in mind what Jelt told be about the VE5. It seems that "brightness" and "clarity" are becoming less scary terms for me. :wink:

Yes. I think, these days, manufacturers in the Head-Fi realm have matured so much past the tropes of uncontrolled bass boost, or boosting upper-mids/treble to the point of sibilance for clarity and resolution, etc., that these stereotypes very rarely apply anymore, especially in the high-end. Even a cable company like Effect Audio has broken the mould with their unique-sounding cables, so it's definitely more crucial to keep an open mind nowadays, as well as a very open wallet :wink:

Sep 19, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #852 of 7,939

You're making me sorry I passed on the Massdrop U6 (which many say is the sweet spot of the line). Oh well, got too much stuff as it is...

Sep 20, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #853 of 7,939
Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 2.21.20 PM.png

After Amin & Marcel from Vision Ears excitedly discusses the "Horus", here's a snapshot of what @Ultrainferno - Lieven's (headfonia.com) has to add on the "Horus" especially with VE8 as a pairing.

Videos impressions of what the industries experts have to say about our newest flagship to be released soon!

Stay Tuned!
1f642.png

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Sep 20, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #854 of 7,939
You're making me sorry I passed on the Massdrop U6 (which many say is the sweet spot of the line). Oh well, got too much stuff as it is...
I have been listening to the U6 with the M20 and M15, but for me the real potential is uncovered by switching cables. I am very much enjoying the Ares II, which makes the U6 warm, fun, but also effortless in dealing with classical music. The only downside is that I did like the intimacy of the stock U6 for vocal jazz such as Madeleine Peyroux, which was like she was whispering her songs in my ear. Still, the ergonomics of the Ares II are great and help the U6 sit so much more comfortably in my ears.

Yesterday I listened to some Astronaut Ape which had a didgeridoo in it and it absolutely blew my mind! That thing went so deep and with so much texture and detail that I could almost feel it in my stomach. Ares II adds (or reveals) so much realism to instruments.

This has been giving me a lot food for thought. I love the APEX modules, as it seems to really help alleviate the issues I was having with my ear. I also find that I am getting quite interested in clarity and am starting to wonder if something like the Zeus XIV ADEL with Lionheart might be an end-game contender for me... Oh dear... I think my wife just felt a disturbance in the force. :D

Sep 20, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #855 of 7,939

After Amin & Marcel from Vision Ears excitedly discusses the "Horus", here's a snapshot of what @Ultrainferno - Lieven's (headfonia.com) has to add on the "Horus" especially with VE8 as a pairing.

Videos impressions of what the industries experts have to say about our newest flagship to be released soon!

Stay Tuned!
1f642.png
Can't wait to see and read all the impressions. Although well outside any budget I will have any time soon, I really enjoy seeing a pairing like the Horus with VE8 come by. A bit like the special collaborations such as the VE6 Silver Edition. Just a little bit bonkers, but in the best way possible! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back