Effect Audio cables thread
Feb 21, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #6,691 of 7,950
Is the Code 23 really usable with IEMs as far as fit is concerned? Do the IEMs connected to it stay safely in the ears? May some models encounter problems in that respect?

Seldomly read something more concrete about the Code 23 ergonomics besides that it is heavy and stiff which it obviously is :wink: ... .

I am on the fence to buy my first EA but cannot decide between an Eros S with the upgrade 4.4 OFC plug, the Code 23 or even one of the 8w Ares or Cadmus...
That's actually a fair question and I am assuming you don't have anywhere near to try it yourself...

From my personal experience (that may vary from others, I suggest having a look on @SteveK27 comprehensive review). If I already have fit problems with my IEM, Code23 will just make it more noticieable when moving around. But if I already have a good and secure fit, C23 won't make any difference on a relaxed use case. As I mentioned previously, I tend to use my C23 on the desk to avoid much movement around that may affect the fit.

Thinking out loud... a way to see this around you is to get a cable around your desk (USB maybe) that is stiffer than others and try to handle it around, you may see what we are saying about C23 being stiff and less malleable than other IEM cables and movements being more transferrable along the cable. (I had a good idea on how to show that, Will share a picture later :) )

On the other hand, its stiffness helps when adjusting it around the ear to your liking and comfort.

Feb 21, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #6,692 of 7,950
Last month, my Leonidas II that I've been using with my Inear Promission X started having an issue where the left channel drops out. I think it's just a connector issue, as i could wiggle it around and the sound would come back.

I emailed Effect Audio and was told to send it back so they could check it out. I was also told to declare the value around $100 usd so they didn't get hit with customs fees. Ok, fine, makes sense. Mailed on January 13.

But it's now Feb 21 and the tracking hasn't updated past "In USPS Possession." I've filed a report with USPS to search for it, but I'm afraid I'm screwed since I didn't insure it for the full value (wasn't sure I could declare 1 value but then insure it for much higher). At this point, I'm pretty sure they lost it, and I'll get $100 for the cable. :tired_face:

Feb 21, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #6,693 of 7,950
Received my TermX/ConX Cleo 2 OCTA today. I haven't used an EA cable back since the Leo 2 was first release. The Leonidas series are my favorite cables from EA for whatever reason.

Love the hardware and feel of the Cleo 2 Octa, it feels a lot more premium than I recall their older cables feeling. It's very soft and supple with a decent sense of weight without coming off as overbearing, although I do feel I'd prefer the 4W here.

I don't feel like going too much into detail as I feel there are really good reviews of this cable already, and my experience matches those. The 8W Cleo 2 seems to be rather silky and smooth for a silver cable. The Maestro SE sounds more bodied and organic, giving a sense of fullness to the signature without making me necessarily hear it as more forward.

IMG_3603.JPG

I am unsure if I want to stick with the Octa or move down to a 4 wire, does anyone here own a 4 wire 4.4mm Cleo 2 and might want to work a trade deal with me?

Feb 21, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #6,694 of 7,950
Let it settle / burn-in before making a decision. My Chiron x Cleo I didn't sound like it was when I demoed it at CanJam for the first few hours. It was overly smooth and had less dynamic contrast. It wasn't until about 1 week of listening where it started to gain body and "speed/transient dynamics" like the way it did at CanJam.

Feb 21, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #6,695 of 7,950
Let it settle / burn-in before making a decision. My Chiron x Cleo I didn't sound like it was when I demoed it at CanJam for the first few hours. It was overly smooth and had less dynamic contrast. It wasn't until about 1 week of listening where it started to gain body and "speed/transient dynamics" like the way it did at CanJam.

I very much like the "sound" of the cable, I just prefer lighter cables. This one isn't really heavy but I'm not sure I like the way the wires feel on my ears. I'd rather have the 4W due to ergonomics.

Feb 21, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #6,697 of 7,950
Hey guys 😃 I'm on my way to the Big Apple! If y'all are attending CanJam NYC this weekend, do pop by our booth at D13 and say Hi! 🙌🏽

20230222_123238.jpg

- Jordon
Have a safe trip and great event!! Sometime wish we could get some CanJam in India as well lol.

Feb 21, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #6,698 of 7,950
Have a safe trip and great event!! Sometime wish we could get some CanJam in India as well lol.
Cheers man! 🥳

I'll pop the question to Jude if I happen to catch him this weekend! 😉 We'll never know, it might happen if we get more requests coming in. Don't quote me on that though haha!

- Jordon

Last edited:
Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Feb 22, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #6,699 of 7,950
Hey guys 😃 I'm on my way to the Big Apple! If y'all are attending CanJam NYC this weekend, do pop by our booth at D13 and say Hi! 🙌🏽

- Jordon
Awesome. Excited for you!

Feb 22, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #6,700 of 7,950
I am looking for a new cable for the Trifecta and maybe Mentor in the future and I wanted to ask for opinions.

I am very interested in Effect Audio, because EVO 10 and Cleopatra II are quite versatil: you can change both the connector and the termination and this is extremely convenient. What do you guys think about it?

EVO10 is hybrid like the stock cable of the Mentor. Maybe someone has the same combination and can say something about the difference with the stock cable?

Cleopatra II on the other hand is pure silver, so the sound tendency with Mentor should be changed and with Trifecta should be the same.

Feb 22, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #6,701 of 7,950
Is the Code 23 really usable with IEMs as far as fit is concerned? Do the IEMs connected to it stay safely in the ears? May some models encounter problems in that respect?

Seldomly read something more concrete about the Code 23 ergonomics besides that it is heavy and stiff which it obviously is :wink: ... .

I am on the fence to buy my first EA but cannot decide between an Eros S with the upgrade 4.4 OFC plug, the Code 23 or even one of the 8w Ares or Cadmus...
It may depend on your use case. I only listen when I’m sitting down and so the ergonomics of the cable itself are not as important as if you are moving around. I had the prototype version of Code23 which I believe is a bit thicker and tougher than the final commercial version. I didn’t have any issues with the IEMs staying in my ears though, and I didn’t have any pulling from the cable on my ears either. Considering that the cable is quite thick I think these are useful points to note.

I can’t speak for the Eros S as I’ve not seen or used it, but I’ve had both the Cadmus 4w and 8w, as well as the Ares S and they are all really supple if that’s better for your use.

If I was going to pick one based on sound though I’d opt for the Code23 first followed by the Cadmus 8w. But saying that, all of the cables offer something different to the music chain and I think it really depends on what gear you have, what sound you want, and what synergy everything has together. Unfortunately we can only find this out when we get to try things for ourselves. This of course is not that easy, which I guess is why we are all here to share information & our experiences. 😃

Feb 22, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #6,702 of 7,950
It may depend on your use case. I only listen when I’m sitting down and so the ergonomics of the cable itself are not as important as if you are moving around. I had the prototype version of Code23 which I believe is a bit thicker and tougher than the final commercial version. I didn’t have any issues with the IEMs staying in my ears though, and I didn’t have any pulling from the cable on my ears either. Considering that the cable is quite thick I think these are useful points to note.

I can’t speak for the Eros S as I’ve not seen or used it, but I’ve had both the Cadmus 4w and 8w, as well as the Ares S and they are all really supple if that’s better for your use.

If I was going to pick one based on sound though I’d opt for the Code23 first followed by the Cadmus 8w. But saying that, all of the cables offer something different to the music chain and I think it really depends on what gear you have, what sound you want, and what synergy everything has together. Unfortunately we can only find this out when we get to try things for ourselves. This of course is not that easy, which I guess is why we are all here to share information & our experiences. 😃
Thanks a lot Deferenz.

You are totally right of course - it all depends :wink:

In the end the Code 23 might really be the one to go for in my case as I lack a good pure copper cable to date. Besides all the praise for it soundwise the Code 23 might therefore be the best pick to compliment the stuff I have collected so far. :L3000:

Can anyone please chime in whether the Term-X termination is sufficient already or whether the OFC Pentacon 4.4 adds for a significant upgrade?

Feb 22, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #6,704 of 7,950
Feb 22, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #6,705 of 7,950
Does anyone have any general thoughts on Cleo 2 v Chiron?
maybe @SteveK27 I know he likes Chiron a lot, I don't know if he used Cleo2

I don't have Cleo2 at the moment so I can't do a side-by-side comparison, but if I were to compare the general characteristic between the two -

Chiron has a larger and more holographic soundstage between the two. It has a faster presentation, which I know @aaf evo likes for that satisfactory punch and decay of each transient.

Cleo2 sounds more lush and analog. It sounds slightly warmer than Chiron if I remember correctly. Honestly, I find Cleo2 to be a few steps behind Chiron in overall technical performance.

Chiron absolutely deserves the title of flagship cable, whereas Cleo2 is more of an appetizer for those who may be interested in its OCTA.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back