Effect Audio cables thread
Sep 21, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #5,341 of 7,919
@EffectAudio
Is effect audio busy with developing more ConX adapters? for ier-z1r, ie900 for example. I know that the MMCX will fit ie900 and maybe also the z1r but when I spend €2000 on IEMs I dont want to fiddle around. Maybe you can connect the cable to the iem and then you find out you are not able to get it lose again.
I can also imagine that third parties are going to jump on these adapters and make a whole range for it.

Sep 21, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #5,342 of 7,919
@EffectAudio
Is effect audio busy with developing more ConX adapters? for ier-z1r, ie900 for example. I know that the MMCX will fit ie900 and maybe also the z1r but when I spend €2000 on IEMs I dont want to fiddle around. Maybe you can connect the cable to the iem and then you find out you are not able to get it lose again.
I can also imagine that third parties are going to jump on these adapters and make a whole range for it.
The ConX won’t have any problem with the IE900 as I’ve used it a lot when I had it in house. It was easy to remove especially using the Final MMCX removal tool. On the IER-Z1R though, it’s gonna be trickier. I had no problems with mine, but I can see others that have a tighter MMCX connector to have a harder time removing it. It would be nice if they’d make one that fits the IER recessed connectors with notch or lip that would make it easier to remove. They’ve added an IPX module recently so it’s just a matter or time and demand I guess. We’ll see. Maybe there’s gonna be a FitEar connector as well in the works. Looking forward to the future of ConX.

Sep 21, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #5,343 of 7,919
The ConX won’t have any problem with the IE900 as I’ve used it a lot when I had it in house. It was easy to remove especially using the Final MMCX removal tool. On the IER-Z1R though, it’s gonna be trickier. I had no problems with mine, but I can see others that have a tighter MMCX connector to have a harder time removing it. It would be nice if they’d make one that fits the IER recessed connectors with notch or lip that would make it easier to remove. They’ve added an IPX module recently so it’s just a matter or time and demand I guess. We’ll see. Maybe there’s gonna be a FitEar connector as well in the works. Looking forward to the future of ConX.
And a RCX connector as well please....

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #5,344 of 7,919
And a RCX connector as well please....

But most of the FirAudio M-series and VxV releases (under Project Perfection) had mmcx connectors, and their new Xenon series is 2pin. I think RCX was a great attempt, gotta give Bogdan big props for creativity and innovation, but it just didn't catch on because audiophiles are fully vested into 2pin cables.

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #5,345 of 7,919
But most of the FirAudio M-series and VxV releases (under Project Perfection) had mmcx connectors, and their new Xenon series is 2pin. I think RCX was a great attempt, gotta give Bogdan big props for creativity and innovation, but it just didn't catch on because audiophiles are fully vested into 2pin cables.

I wish pentaconn would take off as a connector, it is SO much better than 2 pin. 😭

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #5,347 of 7,919
Well, as a group we've almost killed 2.5, why not 2-pin next?

Sep 23, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #5,349 of 7,919
Hi head-fiers, would EA Ares2+ a good cable paired with VE Erlkonig, I would love a non-fatiguing smooth treble and lively vocals. Thanks in advance!

Nothing is wrong with Ares2+, great cable, but it is older and discontinued model (at least, no longer listed on EA site). You have multi-kilobuck flagship IEM, I would treat it to something more higher end to match its performance, something like Leo II octa would be a good pair up, that cable helps to maintain the natural tonality. One thing to be aware, I noticed that Erl sockets are not very friendly with many 2pin 0.78mm connectors.

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #5,350 of 7,919
Nothing is wrong with Ares2+, great cable, but it is older and discontinued model (at least, no longer listed on EA site). You have multi-kilobuck flagship IEM, I would treat it to something more higher end to match its performance, something like Leo II octa would be a good pair up, that cable helps to maintain the natural tonality. One thing to be aware, I noticed that Erl sockets are not very friendly with many 2pin 0.78mm connectors.
I second this; I have a Leo/Thor combination cable that's one of my all-time favorite cables.

Sep 24, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #5,352 of 7,919
Oct 1, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #5,353 of 7,919
ConX saved my Cardas cable

Hey guys (and gals). I just wanted to pop in to share my experience with @EffectAudio's ConX modular IEM connector system.

This is a short review (of sorts), but also a first-hand account of the process of getting one of my favourite cables of all time - a custom-made Cardas Clear cable by @doctorjuggles - converted to ConX.

ConXnew_01.jpg

What's ConX?

Probably a silly question given this is the EA cables thread, but for the benefit of newcomers, ConX is Effect Audio's take on a modular IEM connector system that allows you to easily share a single cable between different IEMs with different connectors types.

At the time of writing, the standard ConX system ships with one each of 2-pin (0.78mm), MMCX, A2DC and Pentaconn Ear (p-Ear) Connector modules. There's also a new 'ConX Reserve' option that ships with two each of the 2-pin and MMCX connectors, those being the two most popular IEM connector types on the market.

The two-part ConX system incorporates a female connector on the cable side into which a male screw-type connector, which comprises the termination part, firmly attaches. Once attached to each other, the resulting connector is only slightly larger than most standard IEM connectors, so doesn't add any unnecessary bulk to your cable or IEM.

ConXnew_02.jpg

ConX is currently available in a silver/chrome and a semi-gloss anodised black finish, though I'm unsure if Effect Audio has any plans of offer other finish options, which could be quite cool for customised designs.

Why ConX

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me the real value of ConX became clear when I bought a new IEM (Sennheiser's IE 900) that not only had a different termination to the bespoke high-end Cardas cables I recently had made (MMCX, with my cables being 2-pin terminated), it also had non-standard MMCX sockets that didn't support most standard cables (or 2-pin to MMCX adapters, for that matter).

Lo and behold, I read on this forum that ConX's MMCX connectors were one of the few that perfectly matched the IE 900. I also read on this forum that Effect Audio offered a refit service converting third party cables to ConX, and since I wanted to upgrade the IE 900's stock cable with my custom Cardas, this was an ideal solution without having to go back to the drawing board or invest in a new cable (at a significantly higher cost than the ConX conversion).

ConXnew_05.jpg

How to ConX

If you have a cable you think would benefit from the ConX treatment, the quickest way to arrange a conversion is to drop them an email at info@effectaudio.com, or better yet, PM @EffectAudio. I did the latter, and within a few days of friendly chatter, had a DHL label emailed to me for my cable pickup from Tatooine Cape Town to Singapore.

A full ConX conversion will set you back $50, plus $30 for labour on your custom/non-EA cable, plus shipping. You're probably in for ~$200 if you live in a far flung city like I do, but it should be a fair bit cheaper if you're from Asia, the US or Australia.

The longest part of the process was a stoppage at my local customs office, which ended up delaying the shipment by a week (my fault for picking the wrong export option). Once it reached Singapore, Effect Audio quoted me three to five business days for completion - it took exactly five days. Then it was a quick trip back (incredibly less than three days door to door in my case) and I had my newly-ConXed Cardas cable in hand.

ConXnew_04.jpg

For the record, I chose the black Reserve version for my black hardware cable, and the result is nothing short of stunning. Not only was the quality of the refit faithful to the cable itself (and if you're familiar with @doctorjuggles' work, you'll know all about his meticulous craftsmanship), the connectors are even better than the originals they replaced (and obviously far more versatile).

From what I can see the connectors are gold plated and very smoothly finished off. The cable-side connectors sit flush without any visible glue residue, but I would have appreciated some clear left/right markings to make quick swaps easier - even though it's easy enough to see which side is which by aligning the connector notch.

My cable was returned to me vacuum sealed in a branded Effect Audio bag, along with a small carry case for the spare connectors. My original (now removed) 2-pin plugs were also returned to me unharmed.

ConXnew_03.jpg

Inside the case, Effect Audio provides a silver key that catches into two small notches in the removable connectors to help loosen them. Simply align the hole in the key with the connectors, and gently turn it anti-clockwise until you feel it turn. Then remove the key and continue manually twisting the connector with your fingertips until it comes loose.

I find that you don't need to use the key to 'lock' the replaced connectors in place. Just turn them, carefully, clockwise, and they should align perfectly with the angle of the ear guide (if your cable has one).

Closing thoughts

I've enjoyed several sessions with my 'new' ConX Cardas cable, and can happily report there's absolutely zero quality loss with ConX compared to the original 2-pin connection to my Legend X IEMs. Switching connectors, not only does the MMCX option fit seamlessly on the IE 900, the Cardas is a significant sonic and ergonomic upgrade over the stock cable.

You may or may not be in the 'cables make a difference' camp, but it's not a stretch to say ConX made a massive difference to the usability and versatility of a cable I consider among the very best I've used. At a fraction of the original cost of the cable, it was a small price to pay for extending the life of my cable and enhancing the enjoyment of my existing IEMs in the bargain.

Better yet, I'm safe in the knowledge I can now use this cable for future IEMs too. In fact, I can't see myself investing in another high-end cable without giving it the ConX treatment from the start.**

ConXnew_06.jpg

**When you buy from one of Effect Audio's own range of cables you can add a ConX system of your choice for $30 as part of your order.

Oct 1, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #5,355 of 7,919
^^I've likewise considered having a cable made and then sending to EA for the ConX conversion. I'm just so damn lazy, hahahaha.
I usually am too but they really make it very easy, especially if you use DHL.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back