Effect Audio cables thread
Aug 3, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #511 of 7,919
Effect Audio Ares II (2.5mm TRRS) impressions

I wanted to share some of my impressions of the Effect Audio Ares II, which was kindly sent to me by @ostewart to try out. Please note that while I try to write down my thoughts sensibly, I am still new to critical listening. This is also not a full review because of a number of things that prevented me from analysing the Ares II properly, time for one, and most notably the lack of an adapter to use this 2.5mm TRRS cable on the SE out of my AK70. So instead I would like to start off by explaining what I hoped to achieve with the balanced Ares II.

It is not a secret that I deeply adore my Custom Art Ei.3 for its smooth and engaging signature, and I still stand firmly behind what I wrote in my review of them. As I mention there, the treble of the Ei.3 is very polite and I have recently found that in particular for classical music I am missing some clarity and would not mind a bit more sparkle in the treble. Some of that clarity might have been lost due to a reshell from custom to universal fit, or perhaps I am simply getting more used to an audiophile signature (brain burn-in). Whatever the case, I wanted to see if I could use a cable to fine-tune the signature a bit.

Because I have not used the balanced out on my AK70 before, I could not say for certain what the switch would do to the signature. I have therefore relied on the various bits of information that were generously shared by fellow Head-fi'ers. Based on that I understood that the balanced out of the AK70 was a bit warmer and more laid-back with a larger soundstage and improved L/R positioning. The Ares II was described as an atypical copper cable with a brighter, more analytical signature and its main strength was its improved treble extension. From this I theorised that the Ares II and the balanced out of my AK70 might well compliment each other by retaining the smooth signature of the Ei.3, but improving clarity, soundstage and the quality of the treble. Of course they could also very well counteract each other and not do anything much at all. So I was very happy to be able to test it.

Build
When I received the Ares II I was pleasantly surprised by its build quality. I had been using an Effect Audio cable already, but that was a preproduction sample of a more affordable cable and could not really compare. The Ares II is quite a thick cable, especially compared to the stock cable of my Ei.3, and yet feels very supple and rests behind my ears quite comfortably despite wearing glasses. The weight is noticeable, but does not bother me. Similarly, I was quite surprised by the splitter, which has been described as quite bulky. It might be nice for the splitter to be a bit smaller, but I did not feel bothered by it at all. The splitter, as well as the balanced plug and 2-pin connectors, feel like high quality parts and make the cable as a whole feel strong and durable. Plus, it is a very good-looking cable!

Sound
I learned about the usefulness of aftermarket cables after I switched from the stock cable of my Ei.3, which had a memory wire that appeared to be intent on chewing off my ears, to the preproduction 'Eline'. To my surprise the Eline not only delicately caressed my ears, it also gave my Ei.3 a bit of extra air to breathe and show what they were capable of. I also learned that the effect of a cable depends on the synergy between the source, cable and IEMs and boy is the synergy between my AK70's balanced out, the Ares II and my Ei.3 good!

Again, I can't really distinguish between what improvements are specifically caused by the balanced out and those by the Ares II, so I will describe the combined result. I think some things will clearly be the result of one or the other, while in other cases it is more likely the combination and synergy between the two.

Presentation
After switching to the balanced Ares II I immediately noticed that the overall sound and presentation was more focused and precise. This might have been because of the nature of a balanced out in combination with the more analytical character of the Ares II. What struck me was that although everything was more focused and precise, it did not adversely affect the smoothness of the Ei.3. In fact, it was like it changed the sound from a woollen smoothness to a honey-like smoothness. Still thick and infinitely enjoyable, but more well-defined against a pitch-black background. This contrasted nicely with the soundstage, which came across to me as about the same size as with the Eline from the SE out, but with the Ares II from the balanced out the boundaries of the stage were less well defined, making it feel more natural.

Bass
Simply put, very impressive. The Ei.3 has a lovely bass that is a bit north of neutral and has this magical property of only ever showing itself when needed. With the Ares II that magic act becomes even more distinct and, above all, remains thoroughly enjoyable. The sub-bass goes a bit deeper and on occasion I felt like there was even a little hint of rumble. Moreover, there is more detail in the sub- and mid-bass, which feel more controlled. I mostly listen to classical music and in Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker the magic act of the bass comes through really well. The piece is generally very light with delicate sounds like fairies flying around your head, but at one point there is a sudden change as the clock strikes midnight. The piece become heavy and oppressively dark as a battle breaks out between the Nutcracker and the Mouse King. The Ares II presents this darkness with, to my inexperienced ears, an unusual amount of air and detail. It is still dark and heavy, but the darkness is deeper and more precise, bringing more emotion to the change in atmosphere and giving a stronger sense of relief when it lifts and the delicate tingling comes back.

A clear step up in the quality, impact and control of the bass.

Mids
When he sent me the Ares II @ostewart had added a cable he had made himself, which was a balanced SPC cable. Naturally I wanted to see what that would do and immediately found it was a mismatch. As with most SPC cables it created a more V-shaped signature by pushing back the mids quite considerably and that ruined the Ei.3's characteristic sound. I mentioned this in my review: the mids are key to creating the coherent and engaging sound of the Ei.3. The Ares II does exactly what is needed and that is to keep those warm, inviting and luscious mids in place. It also creates more clarity and more air in the mids, which significantly improves how the Ei.3 deal with complicated, multi-layered music such as classical symphonies.

I always find it difficult when I discuss instruments that can move from the mids into the treble like pianos and violins. The Ares II makes this even more challenging because I can sense an effect of the improved treble extension or perhaps a peak somewhere in the upper mids or treble (or both) that affects the mids. It is not just that the mids have a better separation and improved layering; it is that instruments present themselves differently. Both the piano and the violin sound natural for longer as they move from the mids towards the treble and, for instance, the keys on the piano sound more well-defined making fast sections sound even faster and more exciting. Even more noticeable is the bite that the Ares II gives guitars, especially electric ones, and brass instruments, and this affects their place in the layering by helping them stand out more.

While I sense a bit of bite to, say, a trumpet, vocals retain the warmth and smoothness I like so much and are improved by the Ares II. Vocals have a bit more body and presence to them, and come across as more natural. Based on the vocal presence I would say that perhaps the Ares II brings the mids a bit more forward.

Overall the mids remain thick, warm and coherent, but they sound more natural (in particular brass and woodwinds) and are more clearly defined.

Treble
I am very treble sensitive and I chose the Ei.3 because of their rolled-off, non-fatiguing treble, so naturally the Ares II's improved treble extension caused me some worries and I initially did not think the Ares II would suit me. Turns out I am an idiot and wrong and gosh if only I had known this earlier. The Ares II made me love sparkling treble!

Yes finally, the Ares II gives the Ei.3 some much-needed sparkle and it is a lovely smooth sparkle I did not think would even be possible. I was surprised by how lovely cymbals sounded, how sparkly and delicate some of the instruments in the Nutcracker were, and how a soprano could reach for the high note and I was not trying to duck for cover. It all sounds lovely and retains that characteristic smoothness of the Ei.3 and there is nothing fatiguing about it at all. Gorgeous! There is now also detail in the treble I have not heard before and although I still do not find the treble region to be the most natural, it is a noticeable improvement.

To my ears the treble is where the Ares II makes its most noticeable improvement to the Ei.3 and I am pleasantly surprised by that. Love the sparkle!

Conclusions
What can I say? I know I need to send the Ares II back, but I don't want to. The synergy is excellent and I love the improvements the balanced Ares II makes. While the change in the bass was impressive, I am, much against my usual treblefobia, most impressed by the improvements in the clarity and upper-mids/treble region. The Ares II makes, to my ears, a significant improvement to a relatively weak aspect of the Ei.3's sound, while still retaining that characteristically smooth and thoroughly engaging signature. I think this makes the Ares II an excellent choice for anyone looking to improve clarity and treble quality while retaining a warmer and more intimate sound.

Wow that is an in depth review, and spot on in my opinion. I am glad you like the cable, it is truly the best budget upgrade cable money can buy if you are looking for extra treble detail and a bit more open sound. I cannot wait to try it with my 64 Audio U6's :D

(also don't rush to get the cables back)

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #512 of 7,919
Effect Audio Ares II (2.5mm TRRS) impressions

I wanted to share some of my impressions of the Effect Audio Ares II, which was kindly sent to me by @ostewart to try out. Please note that while I try to write down my thoughts sensibly, I am still new to critical listening. This is also not a full review because of a number of things that prevented me from analysing the Ares II properly, time for one, and most notably the lack of an adapter to use this 2.5mm TRRS cable on the SE out of my AK70. So instead I would like to start off by explaining what I hoped to achieve with the balanced Ares II.

It is not a secret that I deeply adore my Custom Art Ei.3 for its smooth and engaging signature, and I still stand firmly behind what I wrote in my review of them. As I mention there, the treble of the Ei.3 is very polite and I have recently found that in particular for classical music I am missing some clarity and would not mind a bit more sparkle in the treble. Some of that clarity might have been lost due to a reshell from custom to universal fit, or perhaps I am simply getting more used to an audiophile signature (brain burn-in). Whatever the case, I wanted to see if I could use a cable to fine-tune the signature a bit.

Because I have not used the balanced out on my AK70 before, I could not say for certain what the switch would do to the signature. I have therefore relied on the various bits of information that were generously shared by fellow Head-fi'ers. Based on that I understood that the balanced out of the AK70 was a bit warmer and more laid-back with a larger soundstage and improved L/R positioning. The Ares II was described as an atypical copper cable with a brighter, more analytical signature and its main strength was its improved treble extension. From this I theorised that the Ares II and the balanced out of my AK70 might well compliment each other by retaining the smooth signature of the Ei.3, but improving clarity, soundstage and the quality of the treble. Of course they could also very well counteract each other and not do anything much at all. So I was very happy to be able to test it.

Build
When I received the Ares II I was pleasantly surprised by its build quality. I had been using an Effect Audio cable already, but that was a preproduction sample of a more affordable cable and could not really compare. The Ares II is quite a thick cable, especially compared to the stock cable of my Ei.3, and yet feels very supple and rests behind my ears quite comfortably despite wearing glasses. The weight is noticeable, but does not bother me. Similarly, I was quite surprised by the splitter, which has been described as quite bulky. It might be nice for the splitter to be a bit smaller, but I did not feel bothered by it at all. The splitter, as well as the balanced plug and 2-pin connectors, feel like high quality parts and make the cable as a whole feel strong and durable. Plus, it is a very good-looking cable!

Sound
I learned about the usefulness of aftermarket cables after I switched from the stock cable of my Ei.3, which had a memory wire that appeared to be intent on chewing off my ears, to the preproduction 'Eline'. To my surprise the Eline not only delicately caressed my ears, it also gave my Ei.3 a bit of extra air to breathe and show what they were capable of. I also learned that the effect of a cable depends on the synergy between the source, cable and IEMs and boy is the synergy between my AK70's balanced out, the Ares II and my Ei.3 good!

Again, I can't really distinguish between what improvements are specifically caused by the balanced out and those by the Ares II, so I will describe the combined result. I think some things will clearly be the result of one or the other, while in other cases it is more likely the combination and synergy between the two.

Presentation
After switching to the balanced Ares II I immediately noticed that the overall sound and presentation was more focused and precise. This might have been because of the nature of a balanced out in combination with the more analytical character of the Ares II. What struck me was that although everything was more focused and precise, it did not adversely affect the smoothness of the Ei.3. In fact, it was like it changed the sound from a woollen smoothness to a honey-like smoothness. Still thick and infinitely enjoyable, but more well-defined against a pitch-black background. This contrasted nicely with the soundstage, which came across to me as about the same size as with the Eline from the SE out, but with the Ares II from the balanced out the boundaries of the stage were less well defined, making it feel more natural.

Bass
Simply put, very impressive. The Ei.3 has a lovely bass that is a bit north of neutral and has this magical property of only ever showing itself when needed. With the Ares II that magic act becomes even more distinct and, above all, remains thoroughly enjoyable. The sub-bass goes a bit deeper and on occasion I felt like there was even a little hint of rumble. Moreover, there is more detail in the sub- and mid-bass, which feel more controlled. I mostly listen to classical music and in Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker the magic act of the bass comes through really well. The piece is generally very light with delicate sounds like fairies flying around your head, but at one point there is a sudden change as the clock strikes midnight. The piece become heavy and oppressively dark as a battle breaks out between the Nutcracker and the Mouse King. The Ares II presents this darkness with, to my inexperienced ears, an unusual amount of air and detail. It is still dark and heavy, but the darkness is deeper and more precise, bringing more emotion to the change in atmosphere and giving a stronger sense of relief when it lifts and the delicate tingling comes back.

A clear step up in the quality, impact and control of the bass.

Mids
When he sent me the Ares II @ostewart had added a cable he had made himself, which was a balanced SPC cable. Naturally I wanted to see what that would do and immediately found it was a mismatch. As with most SPC cables it created a more V-shaped signature by pushing back the mids quite considerably and that ruined the Ei.3's characteristic sound. I mentioned this in my review: the mids are key to creating the coherent and engaging sound of the Ei.3. The Ares II does exactly what is needed and that is to keep those warm, inviting and luscious mids in place. It also creates more clarity and more air in the mids, which significantly improves how the Ei.3 deal with complicated, multi-layered music such as classical symphonies.

I always find it difficult when I discuss instruments that can move from the mids into the treble like pianos and violins. The Ares II makes this even more challenging because I can sense an effect of the improved treble extension or perhaps a peak somewhere in the upper mids or treble (or both) that affects the mids. It is not just that the mids have a better separation and improved layering; it is that instruments present themselves differently. Both the piano and the violin sound natural for longer as they move from the mids towards the treble and, for instance, the keys on the piano sound more well-defined making fast sections sound even faster and more exciting. Even more noticeable is the bite that the Ares II gives guitars, especially electric ones, and brass instruments, and this affects their place in the layering by helping them stand out more.

While I sense a bit of bite to, say, a trumpet, vocals retain the warmth and smoothness I like so much and are improved by the Ares II. Vocals have a bit more body and presence to them, and come across as more natural. Based on the vocal presence I would say that perhaps the Ares II brings the mids a bit more forward.

Overall the mids remain thick, warm and coherent, but they sound more natural (in particular brass and woodwinds) and are more clearly defined.

Treble
I am very treble sensitive and I chose the Ei.3 because of their rolled-off, non-fatiguing treble, so naturally the Ares II's improved treble extension caused me some worries and I initially did not think the Ares II would suit me. Turns out I am an idiot and wrong and gosh if only I had known this earlier. The Ares II made me love sparkling treble!

Yes finally, the Ares II gives the Ei.3 some much-needed sparkle and it is a lovely smooth sparkle I did not think would even be possible. I was surprised by how lovely cymbals sounded, how sparkly and delicate some of the instruments in the Nutcracker were, and how a soprano could reach for the high note and I was not trying to duck for cover. It all sounds lovely and retains that characteristic smoothness of the Ei.3 and there is nothing fatiguing about it at all. Gorgeous! There is now also detail in the treble I have not heard before and although I still do not find the treble region to be the most natural, it is a noticeable improvement.

To my ears the treble is where the Ares II makes its most noticeable improvement to the Ei.3 and I am pleasantly surprised by that. Love the sparkle!

Conclusions
What can I say? I know I need to send the Ares II back, but I don't want to. The synergy is excellent and I love the improvements the balanced Ares II makes. While the change in the bass was impressive, I am, much against my usual treblefobia, most impressed by the improvements in the clarity and upper-mids/treble region. The Ares II makes, to my ears, a significant improvement to a relatively weak aspect of the Ei.3's sound, while still retaining that characteristically smooth and thoroughly engaging signature. I think this makes the Ares II an excellent choice for anyone looking to improve clarity and treble quality while retaining a warmer and more intimate sound.
"I am still new to critical listening, and this is not a full review"; **writes full, professional review**

Ei.3 + Ares II, still a better love story than Twilight.

Aug 3, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #513 of 7,919
Wow that is an in depth review, and spot on in my opinion. I am glad you like the cable, it is truly the best budget upgrade cable money can buy if you are looking for extra treble detail and a bit more open sound. I cannot wait to try it with my 64 Audio U6's :D

(also don't rush to get the cables back)
Thanks, but that last remark is a dangerous one! :D

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the U6! Too few reviews of those around.
"I am still new to critical listening, and this is not a full review"; **writes full, professional review**

Thanks! Okay, I might have some experience writing, but I am still pretty new to all this audio stuff. :p

Aug 3, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #514 of 7,919
Thanks! Okay, I might have some experience writing, but I am still pretty new to all this audio stuff. :p
I think both reviews you have written were excellent. You should place this review in the review section where it belongs!

Aug 3, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #515 of 7,919
I think both reviews you have written were excellent. You should place this review in the review section where it belongs!
Do you think it is good enough? It is really based around the combination of the balanced out and the Effect (pardon the pun) on the Ei.3, so I wasn't sure if it would have enough focus on purely the Ares II.

Aug 3, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #516 of 7,919
Do you think it is good enough? It is really based around the combination of the balanced out and the Effect (pardon the pun) on the Ei.3, so I wasn't sure if it would have enough focus on purely the Ares II.
Well you made the comparison with the SPC cable, so you are still able to dissociate between the balanced output and Ares II. I think it is very well written.

Aug 3, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #518 of 7,919
You should place this review in the review section where it belongs!
Done! I just did a minor adjustment in the intro, but other than that kept it as it was. A bit against my nature because I would want to keep improving it, but that is just the OCD talking. :p

Aug 4, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #519 of 7,919

Agreed haha! @Wyville How's that not a full in-depth review? I feel it's very well written as well. Appreciate you spending your time on the review and the kind words buddy! :)

-Eric

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Aug 4, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #520 of 7,919
Agreed haha! @Wyville How's that not a full in-depth review? I feel it's very well written as well. Appreciate you spending your time on the review and the kind words buddy! :)

-Eric
Thanks Eric! I had fun writing it and really enjoyed hearing the improvements the Ares II made, which were more noticeable than I had expected. I will probably sneak in a few more days of listening (@ostewart said I could) before sending it back after the weekend. Will see about getting my own after that. (I probably have to bribe my wife with puppies again. :p )

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #521 of 7,919
Thanks Eric! I had fun writing it and really enjoyed hearing the improvements the Ares II made, which were more noticeable than I had expected. I will probably sneak in a few more days of listening (@ostewart said I could) before sending it back after the weekend. Will see about getting my own after that. (I probably have to bribe my wife with puppies again. :p )

Trust me. Puppies bribes will work 100% of the time - Universally :ksc75smile:

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Aug 4, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #522 of 7,919
@EffectAudio By the way, Eric, how does the sound of the Eros hybrid compare to the Ares II? When I spoke to Piotr about the different cable options, that was the other suggestion he made and I initially thought it would match my preferences better. Now that I have heard the Ares II I am curious about the differences.

Aug 4, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #523 of 7,919
Hi, I am looking for a cable for my ee spartan adel. Would like to see more aggressive subbass, slightly more midbass, slightly recessed mids and slightly increased treble. Thx in advance for the reccomendations.(basically a v shape/ L shape signature)

Aug 6, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #524 of 7,919
Hi, I am looking for a cable for my ee spartan adel. Would like to see more aggressive subbass, slightly more midbass, slightly recessed mids and slightly increased treble. Thx in advance for the reccomendations.(basically a v shape/ L shape signature)

I find the Eros I to be slightly V-shaped, with the classic characteristics of copper and silver in one cable.

Aug 6, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #525 of 7,919
I find the Eros I to be slightly V-shaped, with the classic characteristics of copper and silver in one cable.
Interesting, I was wondering about whether or not the Eros I would be V-shaped because it is a hybrid cable. I'm also curious if the Eros II is the same in that regard.

Do you know if the copper used in the Eros I and II is the same as in the Ares I and II?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back