Effect Audio cables thread
Oct 18, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #2,941 of 7,919
Hi, I am back here as engineer, and please bear with me, who sees this cable matter as a deep science.

IEM is regarded more likely as extension of the cable itself because of the resistance ratio of IEM to cable being relatively lower than full size headphones, that is 16 to 1 ohm (?) for one wire and 16 to 0.25 ohm for 4 wires.
Inductance ratio (phone to cable) is obviously lower than full sized one, which is 5 uH (?) to 5 uH for single wire and 5(?) to 2 ~ 3 uH for more wires. Because inductance can not lowered as much as that of resistance by increasing wires.

With respect to these view, cable can be more effective filter to IEM than to full sized, which can be regarded independent motor due to those high ratio.

Consequently IEM is more subjective to number of wires and hence the impedances than full size headphone.

This view is analytic as are usually found in science realm.
However holistic approach done here should be respected and appreciated.
I respect your views, which give me a view of deep science.
Probably this topics are already done in this thread which I didn't read through and sorry.

I might conclude that the more wires the better due to those humble observations above.

Vendor like Effect audio can see more deep science for this.
Are you guys seeing what I predict?

Thanks

I absolutely respect your views and opinions and i concur mostly with your calculations. With regards to your observations, you're mostly right than wrong. You have no idea how much trial and error that we have went through and the amount of wastage that we run through in our R&D just to derive at a similar conclusions and to understand the concepts of cable / materials and other controllable variables that affect the sound. However, there is one aspect that we've never been able to pin down onto - "Psychoacoustics". We've visited a rather good number of scholars and universities but there seems to be no available method to measure "Psychoacoustics". Ergo, without having a accurate control over "Psychoacoustics" we still exhaust a hefty amount of wastage during our R&D and new development.

Wondering if you have any views on that?

@EffectAudio
Curious what you use to glue the covers of the 2 pin connector to the connector itself. The right sided came off my Lionheart about the third time I was switching IEMs.

We uses 2 different type of glue - "Weicon" Contact Cyanoacrylate Adhesive (VA8312) and Loctite 3090. Would you like to send to us to have it rectified by us?

Their 2-pin covers have been hit-and-miss for as long as I can remember. Eric tells me the supplier of the black plastic component is the one that’s inconsistent, so I hope EA either crack down on them or ditch them for someone else. My Leo II’s have been rock solid, though, so it’s not impossible.

I understand that this issue has plagued us for a good amount of time now. Yes, we're actually on the discussion of new 2Pin design [also on different 2pin materials :)] , so yes, we're definitely ditching them for a better partner.. I hope...they dont read headfi lol.

-Eric

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Oct 18, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #2,942 of 7,919
I understand that this issue has plagued us for a good amount of time now. Yes, we're actually on the discussion of new 2Pin design [also on different 2pin materials :)] , so yes, we're definitely ditching them for a better partner.. I hope...they dont read headfi lol.

-Eric
That's fantastic to hear Eric! Since first trying EA cables I've been of the view the 2pin connectors are their low-point in terms of build quality, which is not a knock on EA but rather the IEM industry as a whole for not yet developing a more robust and bulletproof connector. (some Head-Fiers might argue MMCX connectors are superior but I'm not a fan)

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #2,943 of 7,919
That's fantastic to hear Eric! Since first trying EA cables I've been of the view the 2pin connectors are their low-point in terms of build quality, which is not a knock on EA but rather the IEM industry as a whole for not yet developing a more robust and bulletproof connector. (some Head-Fiers might argue MMCX connectors are superior but I'm not a fan)

Eidolic's are beautiful IMO.

New-tecu-iem-78-2-pin-gold2.png

Oct 18, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #2,945 of 7,919
@EffectAudio I'll see if I can hunt those down here. Sending cables back and forth is quite a hit on my wallet.

Hopefully those revised 2 pins are coming soon? I'm gonna wait for those before I pull the trigger.

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #2,946 of 7,919
Hi guys, I am looking for a cable to go with my 64 Audio A12t ciems and I've pretty much decided on EA for various reasons. Frankly, this is my first cable upgrade so I am a total noob. Which 4-wire configs do you think would go well with the A12t? Currently looking at the Ares II or II+ and Thor II or II+ (about the limit of my budget). Does source pairing matter when choosing a cable?

Oct 18, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #2,947 of 7,919
Hi guys, I am looking for a cable to go with my 64 Audio A12t ciems and I've pretty much decided on EA for various reasons. Frankly, this is my first cable upgrade so I am a total noob. Which 4-wire configs do you think would go well with the A12t? Currently looking at the Ares II or II+ and Thor II or II+ (about the limit of my budget). Does source pairing matter when choosing a cable?

The A12t has LID technology, which means its frequency response is largely independent of the source. If you're not too scared of bass, I'd personally suggest the Thor Silver II for the A12t. It would add some meat to the bass, vibrancy and engagement to vocals, and refine the treble; smoothening it without any loss of detail or transparency.

Oct 18, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #2,948 of 7,919
The A12t has LID technology, which means its frequency response is largely independent of the source. If you're not too scared of bass, I'd personally suggest the Thor Silver II for the A12t. It would add some meat to the bass, vibrancy and engagement to vocals, and refine the treble; smoothening it without any loss of detail or transparency.

Thanks! Your suggestion helps alot! Just to clarify, you meant the regular Thor II (26 awg) and not the II+ (22 awg) right?

Oct 18, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #2,949 of 7,919
Thanks! Your suggestion helps alot! Just to clarify, you meant the regular Thor II (26 awg) and not the II+ (22 awg) right?

I haven't tried the Thor II+, so yes, I can only comment on and recommend the regular Thor II.

Oct 18, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #2,950 of 7,919
*removed* Wrong thread.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #2,951 of 7,919
Oct 18, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #2,952 of 7,919
Opppps, now Daniel has immortalized my screw up in internet history. Not sure how I can live that down.

@EffectAudio
Is there an option to go without the covers for the 2 pin or better yet, the older ones?

Oct 18, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #2,953 of 7,919
Friends, what is with the lack of photos from everyone's recent 8-wire upgrades? I pop in here after a few day hiatus and still see no photos?! Mine aren't back yet, so I have nothing to share.

-Collin-

Oct 18, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #2,954 of 7,919
Friends, what is with the lack of photos from everyone's recent 8-wire upgrades? I pop in here after a few day hiatus and still see no photos?! Mine aren't back yet, so I have nothing to share.

-Collin-
My Eros is supposed to be here tomorrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back