Effect Audio cables thread
Jul 29, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #2,371 of 7,919
I have been researching my next upgrade cables for my A18 for quite sometime now. I have read a ton of reviews and almost every post on these forums looking for some insight. I finally narrowed it down to the Lionheart based on my research, reading reviews, forums posts etc. and pulled the trigger today on the Musictek 399.00 sale price price. It’s a lot of money for upgrade cables, damn this hobby.
I’ll have it next week, I am really looking forward to experiencing EA products, I will post some my impressions once I get the time.
Before you know it you will be spending over 1000 on one. I know from experience :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #2,373 of 7,919
What I really am attempting to focus on is the following cables;

Ares II 8-wire
Lionheart
Thor II Silver

And their suitability/synergy with the Hiby R6 over a balanced connection. Obviously, I’m always happy to take advice on something maybe I haven’t considered. But ultimately I’ve read a fair amount of reviews for the three cables listed above and feel they would be well suited to my Hermes VIs - esp as Empire Ears are now using Effects Audio cables as standard on some of the newer models. I’m hoping someone has experience of one, or some of the combinations and can impart some advice.

Jul 30, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #2,374 of 7,919
Is the Hermes working fine on the R6? My Phantom undergoes a reduction in transient speed and dynamics, when paired with the R6 due to impedance mismatch, as the player's Output Impedance is 10 Ohm. But truth be told, the sound becomes smooth and laidback, that I actually like the combo.

With the R6 in the picture, I'd be more concerned about the Impedance mismatch with the IEM, than the synergy of the cable with the R6. But then if you like the R6+Hermes combo, tell us what you are looking to improve and what your preferences are. Because the 3 cables you have listed have different sound characteristics.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #2,375 of 7,919
Is the Hermes working fine on the R6? My Phantom undergoes a reduction in transient speed and dynamics, when paired with the R6 due to impedance mismatch, as the player's Output Impedance is 10 Ohm. But truth be told, the sound becomes smooth and laidback, that I actually like the combo.

With the R6 in the picture, I'd be more concerned about the Impedance mismatch with the IEM, than the synergy of the cable with the R6. But then if you like the R6+Hermes combo, tell us what you are looking to improve and what your preferences are. Because the 3 cables you have listed have different sound characteristics.
Thanks for you input EagleWings, I hear you on the impedance issue - please see the pertinent part of my original post;

The one thing I will add is the overall balance of the sound signature feels a little bass-light, and treble forward - I’m guessing it’s mostly an impedance issue? The impedance rating on the Hermes VI is only 17 ohms, I believe. One thing I intend on doing is adding an Effect Audio Ares II 8-wire, Lionheart, or Thor II into the equation. Mainly because I want to get the most out of the R6 using a balanced connection. But I may have to add an iEmatch too...

Jul 30, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #2,376 of 7,919
Thanks for you input EagleWings, I hear you on the impedance issue - please see the pertinent part of my original post;

The one thing I will add is the overall balance of the sound signature feels a little bass-light, and treble forward - I’m guessing it’s mostly an impedance issue? The impedance rating on the Hermes VI is only 17 ohms, I believe. One thing I intend on doing is adding an Effect Audio Ares II 8-wire, Lionheart, or Thor II into the equation. Mainly because I want to get the most out of the R6 using a balanced connection. But I may have to add an iEmatch too...

Gotcha. Just read it. It looks like you are planning on using an IEMatch with the R6. From what I have heard from people I trust, IEMatch kinda affects the sound quality a little bit. So the improvement you would get out of adding the cable might be neutralised by the IEMatch. That's something to think about. Even if you are not going to use an IEMatch, using a cable to fix the tonality issue due to impedance mismatch, may not be a wise solution. I'm sorry to burst your bubble. But the money you intend to spend on a cable, could be better spent on a better DAP that would match better with the Hermes. Or you could replace the R6 with a similarly priced DAP and then choose a cable, based on what you want to improve in the combo.

Jul 30, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #2,377 of 7,919
Gotcha. Just read it. It looks like you are planning on using an IEMatch with the R6. From what I have heard from people I trust, IEMatch kinda affects the sound quality a little bit. So the improvement you would get out of adding the cable might be neutralised by the IEMatch. That's something to think about. Even if you are not going to use an IEMatch, using a cable to fix the tonality issue due to impedance mismatch, may not be a wise solution. I'm sorry to burst your bubble. But the money you intend to spend on a cable, could be better spent on a better DAP that would match better with the Hermes. Or you could replace the R6 with a similarly priced DAP and then choose a cable, based on what you want to improve in the combo.
That sounds fine, but I’ve recently updated my Westone UM PRO 50s to the Hermes VIs - and out-of-the-box I feel they are a solid improvement. The balanced connection for me is to;

a) get the best out of the R6 - I’ve also recently upgraded from a Pioneer XDP300R

b) get the best from the Hermes VI

The bass attenuation definitely feels like an impedance artefact. So iEMatch seems like the obvious solution there. Maybe I should spend less, and grab an Ares 4-wire - just to get a balanced connection and add in the iEmatch?

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #2,378 of 7,919
That sounds fine, but I’ve recently updated my Westone UM PRO 50s to the Hermes VIs - and out-of-the-box I feel they are a solid improvement. The balanced connection for me is to;

a) get the best out of the R6 - I’ve also recently upgraded from a Pioneer XDP300R

b) get the best from the Hermes VI

The bass attenuation definitely feels like an impedance artefact. So iEMatch seems like the obvious solution there. Maybe I should spend less, and grab an Ares 4-wire - just to get a balanced connection and add in the iEmatch?

If you want a cheaper cable that fixes the "bass light and treble forward" presentation, I would get the PW Audio No.5 instead. The Ares is a bright copper cable.

Otherwise, Lionheart out of your 3 choices. This based on the impressions I've read though. You can see what I have in my signature.

However, I agree with EagleWings. I suggest getting a different dap that doesn't have an impedance issue or require you to use the iEMatch. Seems like a better investment. Something like the DX150 in that price range.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #2,379 of 7,919
I am not a cable expert, but I discovered something I initially thought was a transfer from a shirt or something that tinted my LionHeart cable but on closer inspection it would seem something is happening *inside*, a green tint on half the braid only after the Y split... oxydation?

I just come back from 2 weeks vacation the house was 2km from the sea but I fail to sea how it could affect the cable through insulation??? On top of this, I stored the cable in a closed Pelican case after each use, away from heat like I do at home. I never used it other than in bed listening so no perspiration, no wet clothes or anything. I am quite perplex here.

I took the Ares II over as well, and nothing so I guess copper is not affected.

Ideas?
What did go wrong, I am so careful but not a cable expert maybe I missed something???

rZcph6pXcsZX5AEoh7H57ol3lOXwqF.png

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #2,380 of 7,919
its oxidation alright, its weird tho, effect cables dont usually oxidise

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #2,381 of 7,919
If you want a cheaper cable that fixes the "bass light and treble forward" presentation, I would get the PW Audio No.5 instead. The Ares is a bright copper cable.

Otherwise, Lionheart out of your 3 choices. This based on the impressions I've read though. You can see what I have in my signature.

However, I agree with EagleWings. I suggest getting a different dap that doesn't have an impedance issue or require you to use the iEMatch. Seems like a better investment. Something like the DX150 in that price range.
Thanks for the advice: much appreciated - I was leaning towards the Lionheart, of the three. I also didn’t realise the Ares was on the bright side.

Btw, one thing I’m absolutely not hoping to achieve, is ‘fixing’ the signature of my IEMs with a cable. The device I would employ in this regard is the iEMatch - see Twister’s R6 review, and his use of it to recalibrate IEMs like the Campfire Andromeda to deal with the R6s 10 ohms output. I was expecting a similar result for the Hermes VI

The only role of the cable for me, was specifically to add a balanced connection, and hopefully squeeze a further 5% out of my IEMs once the iEMatch was in the equation.

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #2,382 of 7,919
I am not a cable expert, but I discovered something I initially thought was a transfer from a shirt or something that tinted my LionHeart cable but on closer inspection it would seem something is happening *inside*, a green tint on half the braid only after the Y split... oxydation?

I just come back from 2 weeks vacation the house was 2km from the sea but I fail to sea how it could affect the cable through insulation??? On top of this, I stored the cable in a closed Pelican case after each use, away from heat like I do at home. I never used it other than in bed listening so no perspiration, no wet clothes or anything. I am quite perplex here.

I took the Ares II over as well, and nothing so I guess copper is not affected.

Ideas?
What did go wrong, I am so careful but not a cable expert maybe I missed something???
Looks like oxidation. Maybe affected by the air humidity triggering oxidation that had previously begun? Just a guess.
EA doesn't use litz wire though, right? I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff, but my understanding is that litz wire is much less prone to oxidation?

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #2,383 of 7,919

Looks like oxidation. Maybe affected by the air humidity triggering oxidation that had previously begun? Just a guess.
EA doesn't use litz wire though, right? I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff, but my understanding is that litz wire is much less prone to oxidation?

Thanks guys...
It's very weird and I'd like to know what happened for sure... LionHeart is one of my favorite cables, and given the price I am like... :frowning2:

I checked but the sleeves are not nicked or anything, nothing I can see that would you know, explain how it can oxydize... condensation inside the sleeve?

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #2,384 of 7,919
Jul 30, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #2,385 of 7,919

Users who are viewing this thread

Back